Poll: Why Only 12 Catches for Heyward-Bey?

I will have tidbits all day today, but check out my story that ran today on Darrius Heyward-Bey’s opportunities with the ball. It has definitely been a situation of quality over quantity. What I found interesting was that Heyward-Bey has 186 yards rushing on six carries. The entire SMU team has 180 yards rushing on 79 carries. But Heyward-Bey has only 12 catches and he had none Saturday against Clemson.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 2, 2008; 6:10 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps JV Game is On
Next: Terps 'Money' on Turnovers

Comments

They really need to focus on getting him the ball. The guy is amazing.

Posted by: ewg | October 2, 2008 6:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you want to create a TO situation where he is getting the ball 30% of the plays but you certainly can go to him more. Turner missed him on a long ball last week which would have been a TD. Getting him deep is certainly a good use of his speed but there is no reason he doesn't catch 2 bubble screens a game. 2 screens, 2 reverses and then whatever targets he gets in the normal passing game should get him 10 looks and 7 or 8 touches which really would open the offense up a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to lining him up in the backfield flanking Portis with Scott on the other side and run a little triple option out of the shotgun...

Posted by: Lee | October 2, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Like its mentioned in the article, he did drop the ball a couple of times last week and in weeks before. But we do need to target him more. Also regarding Lee's comment about getting into a TO situation. While the Cowboys did lose going to TO a lot last week, for the most part that approach has helped them to a playoff appearance last season and a 3-1 record this year. Not that TO is the only reason they are good, but it certainly has helped the offense.

Lastly, I think Turner does a decent job of spreading the ball around, and as a result Clemson didn't try to roll coverage towards Darrius, but he should rely on his playmakers more as opposed to going to secondary receivers who might drop the ball or might not get Yards after the catch or run wrong routes, etc, etc. Oh wait, Darrius does all of those things. Never mind.

Posted by: Ted | October 2, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Ted,
I thought the Cowboys actually went to TO way too much last week and getting away from Barber and the running game is what lost them the game. In the interest of full disclosure I'm a Giants fan and cheer for a 0-0 tie with lots of injuries everytime the Boys and Skins play so I have no dog in the fight. You just don't want a situation where you are going to one player so much your offense becomes stagnant and you get away fomr other things that work. I feel like that is what happened to Dallas LAST WEEK. Feel me?

Posted by: Lee | October 2, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Get it to him often this year. He may be playing on Sundays next year. The same thing happened with Vernon Davis.

Posted by: DelawareTerp | October 2, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Keep throwing him the ball until the defense proves it can stop him, just that simple. He is by far the best player on the field, both sides of the ball.

I like the comment about Veron Davis, you can also add Merriman to the list. Lets not add Heyward-Bey to the list of great NFL prospects that havent hit their potential in while in a MD uniform.

I would also be very interested to see Franklin mix it up in the backfield, a little Turner/Portis, maybe some Heyard-Bey and Scott. Lets get crazy!

Posted by: kdc | October 2, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Turner under throw a wide-open HB once a game on a post or fly route? I don't know whether Turner has the arm or not but the perfect experiment would be to let Portis take a crack at a long ball with him. The D wouldn't expect it and apparently he's got a gun. Lastly, HB is the most talented wide out MD's ever had. Props to Jermaine Lewis but HB is better and he needs more touches.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse