Polls: What's the Solution?

I haven't gone to sleep yet. Been reading on the Internet and rehashing the game in my head. As I wrote in my story, I talked to an Orange Bowl official toward the end of the game. Man, did he go to the wrong game tonight. I have covered plenty of odd teams, but I have a hard time remembering a team with the ebbs and flows of this one. That said, this team is probably pretty average, and the final record will reflect that. The Terps are 4-2 (1-1), just where I thought they would be at this points. But I had the losses to Clemson and Cal. Are we dealing with an ACC title contender or a coach on the hot seat??

I have something planned on here throughout the bye week, but I'm going to keep it quiet right now. Two questions for now: Which loss was worse? And what's the solution?

Okay, now I'm going to try to go to sleep. See ya.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 5, 2008; 4:50 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ten Things We Learned
Next: Thoughts On Friedgen's News Conference

Comments

When the head coach of the team says that he cannot reach his players, he has abdicated his official title. He is saying that he is no longer responsible for anything that occurs with the team, wins or losses. Reaching the players is fundamental to coaching. That Ralph actually says for the record that he cannot reach the team means that he no longer coaches them. I was stunned by this admission, and I think Debbie Yow needs to either fire him or not let him talk to the press.

The inmates officially have the keys to the asylum that is the MD football program.

Posted by: RITerp | October 5, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

what a pathetic effort, coaches & players. From the stands it looking like the terps felt just by arriving the would win the game... Do I think it is time for RF to go, maybe, (maybe just for health reasons b/c he does not look good and a break from coaching would improve his health) but I will say it is time to FIRE COACH COSH!!!

Posted by: mike at the game | October 5, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

These calls to fire coaches are simplistic and inopportune. RF has a stellar career; he knows his job and he knows how to select assistants. Think back over the past sixty years of Maryland football - think of 'Sunny Jim' Tatum's top ten team in 1955 - inexplicably lost to Wake Forest, then a bottom dweller. What we see with today's team is not inconsistent with outcomes of big time college football. Let's keep RF and tone down the vindictive emotions that only make things worse.

Posted by: Ancient Terp | October 5, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I bet Jim Tatum never said "I can't reach this team."

It is an astonishing admission. Imagine your boss saying that. Oh, yes, my employees just tune me out. Ho-hum, I don't know what to do.

Eric wrote in his 10 things learned that there is no player leadership, and that includes the coach. After all, what's the coach there for?

Posted by: RITerp | October 5, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Your story needs to include the fact that Ralph's health is affecting his coaching. There was a time when he had an incentive to lose weight but that seems to have been forgotten. I have known obese people who had trouble making decisions. I am truly afraid that this man is going to have a stoke or heart attack on the field.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Cosh must go. Yeah, we didnt score any points, and that's pathetic. But our defensive effort week after week, save for the second half against Clemson, has been abysmal. Middle Tennessee State moved the ball far too easily, and Virginia was THE WORST scoring offense in the nation and lit up the scoreboard. Gimme a break. Turner has his ups and downs but he is not the problem.
My bottom line:
1. Heyward Bey needs to get open and catch the ball when it's thrown his way
2. The D scheme is horrendous

Posted by: Coshmustgo | October 5, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

i don't know if its Ralph, or the recruiting coordinator, but if they can't be on the same page, there's no reason for ANY of them to be in CP

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 5, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse