Terps Hoops: Last? Don't Bet On It

In light of Steve Yanda’s earlier post about Maryland hoops predictions, I wanted to check in with some quick thoughts on my predictions for Maryland and the ACC. First off, I’m really looking forward to this season getting started in a few weeks, and Steve and I will have expanded coverage of the Terps and the ACC all season. As for Maryland, I think the prediction that it will finish last is off base.

I believe Virginia has last place all to itself this season. I have Maryland in 8th place, with a chance to move up to 7th. If Gary Williams can get the Terps in the bubble conversation, it will be a sizeable accomplishment. Gary has made a career of getting more out of less, and he certainly has “less” talent-wise this season. The lack of an inside presence will prevent Maryland from seriously challenging for an NCAA tournament bid, but it could put Gary in position to play a four-guard lineup, which could be somewhat successful because of the makeup of his roster. This Maryland team should be the worst Maryland team this century in terms of record --- 16 wins, perhaps--- but I can’t see it finishing last. Here are my predictions for the top half of the league:

1) UNC
2) Duke
3) Miami
4) Wake Forest
5) Clemson
6) Virginia Tech

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 9, 2008; 12:34 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Evaluation Week: Grading the Defensive Players
Next: Wake 3, Clemson 0

Comments

That's all great that we could run a 4-guard set. But who - besides Vasquez - will score? Bowie can be a slasher at times, Hayes is a reluctant shooter and mainly a set-up man. Perhaps Tucker can be a complimentary scorer, but the only one of these guys that can knock down outside shots consistently might be Hayes.

If this team is to be successful, they will have to play tremendous defense and try to get as many turnovers and transition buckets as they can. It will take a lot of effort.

I think we'll struggle to stay above .500 overall, and won't be .500 in ACC play. IMO, we finish 9th place at best.

Posted by: Sam | October 9, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

MD will make the tourney this year. You heard it here 1st. The 4 guard offense is going to do wonders for this team. Mosley is going to have major impact this year. Also with the schedule they have the could get 20 wins if not more. They are going to surprise people.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If you look at the stats from Milbourne last year they are very similar to Gists stats form his Sophomore year. The glaring exception being Milbourne shot 40% from beyond the arc. If with increased minutes and touches he makes the same step forward Gist did his junior year there is no reason this team doesnt win 18+ games.

Posted by: Lee | October 9, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 15-16 record and 4-12 in the ACC

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Posted by: Gary | October 9, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Gary...

Go away.

Posted by: Dan | October 9, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I've got a grand for anyone who can track down Garys IP address and then actual place of residence.

Posted by: Lee | October 9, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Lee

Why would anyone wan't Garys actual address unless they intend to harm him or his family? I hope the FBI takes a look at your post and tracks you down for a little questioning.

You sound like a stalker with bad intentions. Get some professional help before you end up in prison.

Posted by: donmac | October 10, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Eric,

You are just trying to incite me by picking Va last!

Anyway, all the preseason pick lists I see so far have Maryland in the middle of the pack, I haven't seen anyone picking them last. UVa is typically picked several spots back from Md (but they could fade to near the bottom.)

Anyway, just how low is the bottom of the ACC now? 12th? Hopefully both UMd and UVa avoid that spot!

Posted by: ho ho ho | October 10, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I personally think it's possible for the Terps to surprise people but it all comes down to Dupree and Burney--as well as Goins. DuPree disappointed last year but he was only freshman. Burney started to come on. The question is, can those two guys, as well as Milborne take a giant step this year (another giant step in Landon's case) and can Goins contribute? Well, with Gary coaching, I think they CAN.

Posted by: Tripp | October 10, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse