The Heyward-Bey Questions

I want to get everyone’s thoughts on Darrius Heyward-Bey’s situation. Maybe it’s just me, but when you have a player as explosive as Heyward-Bey, who could be in the NFL next season, why not make every effort to get him the ball as much as possible?

QB Chris Turner threw to Heyward-Bey twice on the game’s first drive, both incompletions and did not attempt to throw to him in the final 57 minutes. When asked about not using Heyward-Bey more, Friedgen said: “Got to get open” and that there were several plays called for Heyward-Bey.

I asked Turner about not throwing to Heyward-Bey and he said that Heyward-Bey is not always the first progression and that other receivers were open.

Heyward-Bey’s only touch was on that crazy lateral at the end of the first half. So in the past two games, he has touched the ball a total of two times.

Does all this fall on Turner, James Franklin, Friedgen or Heyward-Bey?

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 5, 2008; 2:23 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Injuries and the Secondary
Next: Friedgen Feeling 'Inadequate' as Messenger

Comments

I know there's a lot of NFL hype for DHB. But I wonder at this point if a guy that averages 2 catches per game will warrant 1st or even 2nd round consideration.

Something's gotta be done to get the ball in his hands. Hell, put him at QB time to time...

Posted by: Sam | October 5, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

He has touched the ball more than that. He had two drops against clemson alone.

Posted by: Dave | October 5, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Eric;

Maybe it is just you, blogging alone.

Just in case you and Terrapin Nation missed it, Comcast has scheduled a replay of last's night's Terrapin performance from 7:30 to 10:00 pm tonight! I know this will make you happy, so the Terps can earn all the respect they justly deserve. (One of the comments from last night's posts was that fans were very unhappy they couldn't see the game on a better channel offering than ESPNU-especially after all that money Maryland's governor had put into UMd.)

More feedback later on your pursuit of journalistic excellence. Seriously-have you thought about reviewing Steve
Goff's blog as a good example to follow?

Ho Ho Ho

Posted by: Ho Ho Ho | October 5, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me, watching the game, that Franklin has made a conscious effort to not show any more of the playbook than necessary when facing inferiour teams. He did this against MTSU and did it again against BooVa last night. When he lets it all out, the team plays more aggressively.

Does he make this consious effort? In the 1st half against BooVa, it seemed like the frist two plays of every series were stretch runs to the left or right. If you can't win 1st down on offense, it's like having to constantly bat with 2 strikes in baseball.

Why is Franklin so cautious on 1st down?

Cosh is a different story. He coaches like he's afraid. At least they shut down the shovel pass this year, but everyone watching the game knew when screens and flairs to backs were coming...everyone except Cosh and his D.

Posted by: RITerp | October 5, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

This mostly fall on Franklin and the Fridge. They are susposed to be at or near the genius level when it comes to O. If that is the case how can they not design plays that get the ball into DHS's hands. Basicall, the only thing we know for sure is that Chris Turner has not demonstrated the ability to hit DHB or any other receiver instride on a deep pattern. So, if your QB cannot make that play you design plays that he can make.

As for the game Saturday, where was the pass to the flats? Where was the reverse? Where was the end around? DHB doesn't have to get open on those plays and they were never called.

It wasn't just DHB Saturday. Franklin's play calling was very vanilla in general. Why did he always run Scott to the short side of the field. Scott should be run to the wide side of the field to better take advantage of his speed. He can be too easily bottled up on the short side.

Posted by: Paco in Ajijic | October 5, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Ho Ho Ho:

Not sure I understand your comment. Did you want me to make more of the game not being televised locally? Is that what you meant? if there are any specific ways I can improve this blog or my overall coverage, by all means, please let me know. Why did you say the replay would make me happy? I don't understand your point. Thanks. Eric

Posted by: Eric Prisbell | October 5, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Pm'ed you.

Posted by: Ho Ho | October 5, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it the coach's responsibility to communicate with his players? Ralph has admitted that he can't get through to his player. If that's the case, then it's time for Ralph to move on. I love the fridge but I love victories more. Thanks!

Posted by: Jolemn | October 5, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Prisbell, why not do a little research into this and see whether Heyward Bey is getting open. Both the coach and the quarterback say he is not getting open but you keep reiterating this mantra that they aren't getting him the ball. It goes both ways. I remember in the Clemson game he was thrown to a couple of times and couldn't get his hands on the ball, and the other times he wasn't getting enough separation. He may be fast as lightning, but perhaps he's not a good route runner.

Posted by: Terpsfan | October 5, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

You average, what, three blog entries a day about this? Do you ever stop to think about the passes that went to that were incomplete? And why they were incomplete? Seems like last night there were three UVA guys on him.

Posted by: Maurice Shanks | October 5, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Fair point. I have no favorites in this. I do think it is a legit question why he doesn't touch the ball more, and maybe his route running is the issue. I will start asking questions about his route running this week.

Posted by: Eric Prisbell | October 5, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Check out Terp Ticker -- terpticker.blogspot.com -- for the latest news clips, videos, polls and commentary about MD athletics, updated hourly. Go Terps!

Posted by: Terp Ticker | October 5, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

If Heyward-Bey is so great, he needs to get open. Period.

Posted by: Lindemann | October 5, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I loved this result.

Virginia -- 31
Maryland -- 0 (zero - zip - zilch - nada)

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 6, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

DHB is a great talent, but Fridge has been correct about him in that he has a lot of other things to learn about the offense.

His routes aren't amazing, and there have been too many quotes from Fridge that he needs to read the defensive coverage better.

That part aside, the offense does not seem to be set up enough to get him the ball. At least use him as a decoy.

Posted by: ckstevenson | October 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse