The Official Prediction Thread

Let’s roll out some predictions for this pivotal game at Byrd Stadium tomorrow.

My prediction:
Maryland 18, Wake Forest 15
“Any statistical analysis favors Wake Forest, which means Maryland will win. The Terps win when they shouldn’t and lose when they shouldn’t. I can’t see Maryland moving the ball too much, so here’s predicting there will be 11 field goals tomorrow, and Obi makes one more than Mr. Swank.”

Matt Rennie’s prediction:
Wake Forest 24, Maryland 16
“I thought the Cal game was so early in the season, anything was possible. I had a feeling the Clemson game might be a surprise. But while I'm not as sour on Maryland's prospects as some are, I can't muster the same traces of optimism. Apart from this game being in College Park, I'm not sure where the Terps' advantages lie. Then again, I thought they were a mortal lock to beat Virginia, so who knows?”

Let’s hear some predictions from everyone! I keep track of who gets the closest and may or may not give out a prize at the end of the season depending upon the availability of the prize I would like to select and a variety of legal and ethical hurdles regarding that so-called prize.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 17, 2008; 12:54 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Swank Watch II
Next: Chris Cosh: Part of the Solution or the Problem?

Comments

MD 23, Wake 20

Heyward-Bey finds the endzone and Swank misses a 40+ yarder to tie in the waning moments....

Posted by: Fredneck | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I have watched Wake on TV all season. They are to me the most balanced and well coached team in the ACC. Maryland has not been capable of playing sixty minutes, let alone be consistent. I just do not think as a Terp fan we can tomorrow. Wake wins 31-14.

Posted by: Elwood | October 17, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

MD wins 6-4. Swank doesn't play and Popham misses a FG at the end to win it. Obi hits 2 FGs in the 4th quarter after missing his first 3 attempts.

Wake racks up 240 yards rushing and 500 yards of offense, yet doesn't score any points on offense because they sputter their drives, fumble the ball away a couple times, don't convert a couple 4th downs (where Swank would hit a 50+ yard FG) and miss FGs. However, their 'D' is stout and they sack Turner for a safety and stuff Da'Rel for a safety.

MD gains 150 total yards on offense. Wake sacks Turner 6 times as the O-Line continues to disappoint. Heyward-Bey catches 2 balls, but for only 2 total yards. Da'Rel runs 22 times for 22 yards. Turner goes 8-24 for 32 yards, but no turnovers. Oquendo and Da'Rel, however, each throw an option pass for 40 yards to set up the 2 Terps FGs.

Josh Portis gets in for 6 plays: 2 runs right, 2 runs left, and 2 false starts. He totals 10 yards rushing on the day. His plays that count come on 2nd or 3rd and long. The false starts are on 1st down, both by Costa.

But in the end, MD wins a grinder, and our ACC championship hopes are alive again... until next week at homecoming, when MD loses 42-0 to NC State.

Posted by: Sam | October 17, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but Tedford made an error bringing Cal here on Friday. Had he been smart - his Cal team would've beaten us soundly. Grobe is light years beyond Ralph and as a donor, I think tomorrow is a 10 point loss. I just see the trend of the last 5 years getting worse. Cosh will have no answers for Wake's offense. He was just a poor hire in the first place and that should fall at Ralph's feet...

Posted by: Terpfan1 | October 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

MD 14 - Wake 10. Heyward Bey breaks out of his slump with a long TD and Scott has a long run for a TD. Offense does nothign else but D keeps Wake in check and out of the end zone.

Posted by: Lee | October 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Lee:

You didn't mention how Wake scores their TD. You said that the 'D' would keep Wake out of the endzone.

Are you predicting an Alphonso Smith or Aaron Curry pick-6? Not a bad prediction there. Or are you talkin' 5 safeties by wake or 2 FG's and 2 safeties? lol

Posted by: Sam | October 17, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I loved this result.

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 17, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sam,

The Terps will win 34-10 and your
Tar Heels will take it on their chinny chin chins in Charlottesville (0-13 since 1981). GOO HOOOS!!

Posted by: Big Ralph | October 17, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

You know Sam I got so into that Red Zone thing yesterday I think I forget football scores come in the form of 2 7 or 10 points. I was just giving them 3 red zone possessions worth of points...

Posted by: Lee | October 17, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

This game won't be close.

Maryland 31
Wake Forest 14

Posted by: Charles | October 17, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wake is way over rated. Terps are pissed and will be ready to play tomorrow.

MD - 23
Wake - 17

Jelani Jenkins will commit to Maryland at halftime.

Posted by: SB | October 17, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

While the Deacons has been solid on defense, I've not been impressed with their offense. Sure, Riley Skinner is a veteran player, but their doesn't seem to be a lot of punch. They don't score a lot of points, as evidenced in their games against FSU and Clemson.

In the meantime, the Terps will have a lot more riding on this game. They always come up big against ranked opponents, and Wake is no exception. Plus, there is the revenge factor after the Terps let them escape with an overtime victory last season.

It will be a close, physical game with Maryland on top, 17-13.

Posted by: Mr. G | October 17, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Beat Wake. Lose to NCSU on homecoming. Team's MO.

Posted by: CoshMust Go | October 17, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse