Thursday Practices? Not So Good

Today is Thursday, and Maryland typically does not practice well on Thursdays. Coach Ralph Friedgen is getting fed up with that habit. For the season’s first month, Friedgen has had players go light on Thursday in hopes of avoiding injury and fatigue. But he said he may go back to tougher Thursday practices if he has to.

“I haven’t been pleased with Thursdays,” Friedgen said. “If we don’t start practicing on Thursday, we are going to be in full gear on Thursday. I don’t really care. I really don’t like going out in shells. I try to save them a little bit. We go out in shells on Monday and practice as a much faster pace than Thursday. I don’t think we should. We should practice at a fast pace and execute. Quick whistles but sharp and crisp. They don’t seem to get that. They think Thursday is a time to relax. No time to relax. The offseason is when you can relax.”

Is Friedgen just being a grouch? Or does he have a legit point with these Thursday practices? The team had a poor Thursday practice and Friday walk-through prior to the MTSU debacle.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 2, 2008; 10:51 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps 'Money' on Turnovers
Next: Perez at Linebacker

Comments

Yes. The Fridge is becoming more of a grouch every year. I want to bring up a point about him repeatedly saying that this team is 'inconsistent'. How does this help? If you repeatedly say that a team is inconsistent, guess what? They will be inconsistent. If anything, it hurts by taking away confidence. Fridge: Stop bringing it up! Your job is to instill them with confidence. Not to bring them down. It seems like he is always finding things they did wrong and not what they did right.

Posted by: V | October 2, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Now I see why this team has been inconsistent. They have been halfin' it in practice, and now the Coach wants to change it. These light Thursdays should not have been happening in the first place. The Coach should have been dictating the proper tempo from the beginning. Continues to make me concerned about this program. The great college coaches(i.e, Carroll, Meyer, Mendenhall, Paul Johnson, Stoops, Grobe)would NEVER have this.

Posted by: Elwood | October 2, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Clemson's last 11 losses have been in games where they were favored. 11!?! UVA just lost to Duke (a team that had lost 25 straight conference games) 31-3. FSU scored 3 points at home to Wake. Call me when Ralph has a string like that.

Posted by: Pete in AZ | October 2, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Most college teams are inconsistent, that's how teams with decided talent advantages, like USC, Florida and Wake Forest lose to teams like Oregon State, Ole Miss and Navy. For the most part, I think Ralph's teams have beaten the teams that they've been more talented than over the years (MTSU and Northern Illinois being the glaring exceptions). This is a team that was picked to be, what, 10th in the ACC, and we're 4-1. Let's enjoy the good play by our team."

Pete, if that "victory" we had against Clemson last Saturday you call "good play", I do not know what else to say. I do agree the playing level in Division 1 Football is starting even out. However, it is clear our Terrapins are deficient in many areas. I guess Wake Forest will prove that in two weeks when they come to College Park.

Posted by: Elwood | October 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Elwood, I can see why Ralph hates blogs. Even when he wins, he loses. This team isn't great, far from it. But one of the coach's jobs is to get the players to play as close to their potential as possible. The kids from Clemson get scholarships too, right? The coaches from Clemson get paid too, right? They were trying to win the game too, right? They quit, we didn't, we won.

Maybe Wake will destroy the Terps in two weeks, maybe they'll commit 6 turnovers like they did last week. My point is that inconsistency is natural in college football (and in the pros, check out Denver losing to KC) and that Ralph's teams have been highly competitive week in and week out over the years. To compare this program to USC, Florida, Oklahoma, etc is ridiculous.

Posted by: Pete in AZ | October 2, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I will not even compare our Terps to SC, Okla, or UF (and Florida, if you remember killed us in the Orange Bowl years with now South Carolina coach, Steve Spurrier). I know we nowhere to that level. Personally, I believe Clemson was overrated from the start this year, and it showed last Saturday. The best game the Terps played for the most part was against California. I just want this team to look decent and not uneven most weeks. The last five years have been a little difficult.

Posted by: Elwood | October 2, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse