Who is the Favorite Now in the Atlantic Division?

Let’s take a look at the schedules of the four Atlantic Division teams that are 2-1 in the ACC right now. Wake Forest has the easiest road ahead, it would seem, but Maryland has the tiebreaker over the Demon Deacons. The Terrapins need as many ranked teams on their schedule as humanly possible, and North Carolina State is up next, which could be a problem. Boston College has a difficult road ahead, with three more ACC road games. I also think Florida State has an arduous path, and that Nov. 22 game against the Terps at Byrd Stadium looks even bigger now.

I would give the edge right now in the Atlantic Division race to Maryland, but it depends which Terrapins team shows up on any given Saturday or Thursday. Here are the remains schedules for each:

Boston College

At Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Florida State
At Boston College

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 20, 2008; 7:29 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Chat With Friedgen
Next: Strength of the 'Pack Is ... Hard to Say

Comments

I honestly can't vote for us as a favorite until I see us consistently produce the effort we saw on Saturday. If we stumble against NC St., then we're right back off track. I voted for FSU cuz they are at least showing some consistency.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Wake from here on out. Did we perhaps find a gameplan to beat them that others could copy?

Posted by: Sam | October 20, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Wake certainly has the easiest road from here on out so MD, FSU, and BC will have to really be on their game to win the division. I woudl say MD has as good a shot as any, FSU has the toughest road home with BC a close second so the Terps need to beat the teams they are supposed to beat and win 2 of 3 vs VT, BC, and FSU...

Posted by: Lee | October 20, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'd vote for Boston College because every year they are near the top of the division, yet no one talks about them as a contender during the preseason.

In fact, BC, one of the most underrated football programs in the country, is the only team in the ACC that seems to have Virginia Tech's number.

Posted by: Charles | October 20, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I see the Terps winning 2 out of their final 5 games, although the FSU game could go either way. A record of 7-5 meets their preseason expectations.

North Carolina State (W)
At Virginia Tech (L)
North Carolina (W)
Florida State (L)
At Boston College (L)

Posted by: Charles | October 20, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Eric,
Is there anything special planned for homecoming?

Posted by: MB | October 20, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will need to go 4-1 in their last 5 games with a loss to either VT or NC (Can't lose any more games against Atlantic opponents). I think Wake has 1 more loss left in them (Maybe this week at Miami), but probably no more than that. It helps that 3 of 5 will be at Byrd, but who knows what MD team will show up. Hopefully our last 3 games will be at noon since that is the only time we play really well.

Posted by: Darrell | October 20, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

NC State - 27
Maryland - 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am extremely happy that Penn State is ranked number 3 in the country - and very soon to be ranked number one --- this will definitely hurt Maryland's recruiting - thank god !!!

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels

Posted by: Gary | October 20, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I voted Wake because I don't think they will lose again this year, and the Terps are not likely to win in Blacksburg. But I do think the Terps will finish the season strong and have a 6-2 conference record.

Bonus prediction: Gary will be an idiot for the rest of his life and will not make an original or intelligent comment on any Terps thread in his lifetime.

Posted by: Jack57 | October 21, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Wake has it the easiest. I see the Terps going 3-2 the rest of the season to finish with an 8-4 record. They will win out at home but I struggle to see them defeating Va Tech and BC on the road.

Posted by: Jim | October 21, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse