Worst Losses Under Friedgen

We have interesting poll results so far. One way to look at it is this: 88 percent give Ralph Friedgen a grade of 'C' or worse even though Friedgen has led Maryland to a 4-2 record, with victories over two nationally ranked opponents (including the preseason ACC favorite), and even though he lost his starting quarterback in Week One.

Again, that is just one way to look at it. Another way is to say Friedgen has suffered the two worst losses of his head coaching career in the first half of this season. Here is my list of the worst losses for Friedgen at Maryland.

1) 31-0 at Virginia, Oct. 4, 2008

Maybe the Cavaliers rally and make a season of their lost season and then this loss doesn’t look as ghastly by late November. Right now, it stands as the worst because the Cavaliers had the nation’s worst scoring offense and had only scored three offensive touchdowns in their previous four games combined. What’s more, Maryland was shutout for the first time since 2004.

2) 24-14 at Middle Tennessee, Sept. 6, 2008

The Terps didn’t show up for this one. They made a depleted, undersized, middle-of-the-pack Sun Belt team look like a strong team. If not for two big plays, Maryland would have been shut out. QB Joe Craddock picked Maryland's D apart all night.

3) 55-6 at Virginia Tech, Nov. 18, 2004

Complete domination. The Hokies physically dominated Maryland in every conceivable way. I covered this one. It served as the exclamation mark on a season that ended with a 5-6 record and no bowl.

4) 20-13 (OT) at Northern Illinois, Aug. 28, 2003

This loss didn’t look as bad in the coming months and years because Northern Illinois finished with a 10-2 record. NIU was no MTSU. But it looked pretty bad at the time. It came a year after the Terps lost to Notre Dame, 22-0, to open the 2002 season and played into the perception that Friedgen started seasons very slowly. Maryland still won 10 games in 2003.

5) 16-0 at Virginia, Nov. 6, 2004

I covered this one and what I remember was that the score was not indicative of how thoroughly the Cavs dominated the Terps. Maybe some fans want to put the Notre Dame loss here, but being shutout by a rival late in the season I think strengthens the case for this loss being in the top five.

Dishonorable mention: 22-0 vs. Notre Dame, Aug. 25, 2002

Anyone have any others? Did I miss any?

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 6, 2008; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland-Wake Forest Kickoff Set for Noon
Next: JV Game Roundup

Comments

48-13 in C-Ville, 2002. Terps could've won the ACC. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | October 6, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I loved this result.

Virginia -- 31
Maryland -- 0 (zero - zip - zilch - nada)

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 6, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I would say it was the worst I've seen and I have seen many, many painful defeats. Cosh must go! How many times do we have to see our defense running around like chickens with their heads cut off before this guy gets the boot? It is clear that they have no idea what their assignments are.

P.S. Gary, you are a loser.

Posted by: V | October 6, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Eric Prisbell, please look at the body of work on this team this season. Yes, the Terps are 4-2 right now. The pro team in town is 4-1, but they are going in different directions. If I could compare the Terrapins to anybody with this 4-2 record would be the 1996 Redskins that went 7-1, then bottomed out after the bye week starting with a loss at Buffalo. This team with way it has been performing is looking down the barrel of being BOMBED the next two games vs. Wake and @ VA Tech. We have to start facing reality and know that this team is not good. What Ralph said to you on the phone and in the presser that he can't reach these is alarming for "winning" 4-2 team.

-Elwood Harris
Woodbridge, VA

Posted by: Elwood | October 6, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I left out the word "kids" in my comment. I apologize.

Posted by: Elwood | October 6, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Wake Forest last year was easily worse than Northern Illinois- that team also beat 'Bama at 'Bama- but other than that good list.

Posted by: ssterp | October 6, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

the truth is that those of us who follow the Terps love em regardless but this thing against VA is very difficult to take...for a team with all of these seniors there is NO leadership. They got beat by a bunch of freshmen Saturday night and let down a lot of folks who follow em.

Posted by: alum 77 | October 6, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Eric, I voted 'C' and think it's appropriate. Think of it as if you were in school. A 'C' basically means "does well, but does not perform up to full potential." If that's not this team, I don't know what is.

Posted by: Steven F | October 6, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Love the blog, Eric--keep up the solid reporting!

Long way to go and Big Ralph will laugh last this season--hopefully from the cozy confines of "Joe Robbie" or JAX.

Unfortunately, classy Terp fans are few and far between.

Posted by: zzTerp | October 6, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Check out Terp Ticker -terpticker.blogspot.com -- for the latest news clips, videos, polls and commentary about MD athletics updated hourly. Go Terps!

Posted by: TerpTicker | October 6, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

FredTerp,

I have to agree with you. That 48-13 loss at Charlottesville was perhaps the worst lost in RF's tenure because that game meant something.

Posted by: Charles | October 6, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I kind of agree that the loss at Wake last year was worth a mention. Steffy's INT in the flat was God Awful, and the Terps could have won a crucial road ACC game. But #1 & #2 listed here make sense.

Posted by: Ryan | October 6, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

How about a poll of Ralph's best wins? Off the top of my head:
1. Gator Bowl domination of WVU
2. Peach Bowl domination of Tennessee
3. NC State game in 2004 when Ambush forced the late fumble and Novak kicked GW FG.
4. NC State game in 2001 to clinch ACC Title.
5. @ Clemson this year?

Posted by: Fredneck | October 7, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I will get that up later this afternoon. Thanks. One that jumps out to me is the FSU win in 2004.

Posted by: Eric Prisbell | October 7, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

48-13 vs UVa.

MD looked like it was going to run away with the game and then ended up getting run over.

Posted by: Lucius | October 7, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse