The Official Prediction Thread, Bumped

((Moving up Eric's post to get fresh predictions while he and Yanda amble toward Blacksburg.))

Okay, time for predictions. I am very interesting in how everyone feels this game will go. This is a really tough game to figure out. No one will know the availability of four key players in the game until kickoff. Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor and Sean Glennon are questionable. So are Maryland's Da'Rel Scott, Dave Philistin, Adrian Moten and Cory Jackson. Who plays? And does it matter who plays???

Prediction: Maryland 17, Virginia Tech 14

One of the tougher games to get a read on this season.

How does everyone else feel?

By Eric Prisbell  |  November 6, 2008; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brushing Up With Some Gameday Reading
Next: In Good Company

Comments

I would love it if we just blew someone out on the road. Obviously that probably won't happen. If there's any time to take it to Va Tech it would be now. I'm still worried about which MD team will show up.

Posted by: terps447 | November 5, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Virginia Tech 35 - Maryland 6.

Maryland always plays awful vs. Virginia Tech.

I am a Terps fan, and until we beat Virginia Tech I won't ever predict we will.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | November 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 21, VT 14
Go Terps!

Posted by: gburggal | November 5, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a lot of good feeling about a Thursday night game in Blacksburg where Tech needs the victory a lot more than MD does. And our performances in night games this year have also been less than stellar.

I think the key is going to be Chris Turner's performance. When he is playing well, the offense (And the whole team) seems to really be clicking. And with Turner being on his game typically means DHB is very involved in the game. We also don't know how the running game is going to turn out with Scott's injury and Tech is usually strong against the run (They force you to pass, which creates turnovers). I think the MD defense should be OK as long as they keep the QB in the pocket (That was the problem against NC State). I am not ready to give a prediction on the score, but I think it will be a close one decided by 7 points or less. The team with the ball last will probably be the team that will win. Hopefully the terps will be the ones coming out on top.

Posted by: djwilbur1 | November 5, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think it will be a close game, but the Terps will pull off the win. This is a golden opportunity to finally beat VT.

Posted by: cbs75 | November 5, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

VTs offense is going to look terrible so the question is can MD limit tunrovers. If so they'll win and if they limit them to 0 I say they win big. Lets go with 1 costly turnover and 20-13.

Posted by: Lee26 | November 5, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Terps = 2
VT = 0

Kenny Tate w/ the safety blitz to cause a safety!

Posted by: merajc86 | November 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I think this is going to be a tough fought battle that will be won by the team that can stop the run. Va Tech's defense thrives when they are able to force their opponent to become one dimensional. If Tech is able to do shut down the run then I think they can pull out a win. On the other hand, if Maryland is able to stop Va Tech's running game then I don't think that Va Tech will have much of a chance (especially C. Holt is at QB).

With that said, and the game being played on a Thursday night at Va Tech I am going to predict wins with a score of 17 (VT) – 14 (UM).

Posted by: johnreed1 | November 5, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Vtech 27 Md 10

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Bye week equals big win for Ralph and the boys:

MD 23
VT 16

Posted by: putnam23 | November 5, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

whats the line???

in any event...im picking maryland 26-13...though this isnt a ranked team...i had the feel like it is...afterall its VT in blacksberg on a thursday night...they are "unbeatable" at home on thurs nights but this is going to be our best chance to beat them...beat them in blackberg...and beat them in blackberg on thurs night on espn...they should be able to get up for this game likes its a top 25 team...

go terps!!!

Posted by: deadskin | November 5, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Always like to be wrong when I pick against UMD but I just don't see them winning down there.

VATech 24
UMD 10

Posted by: erniegogo | November 6, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Tech won't lose on Thursday night. the Terps will overlook them because of the Hokies QB problems. The no-punts blocked streak ends and VT wins tonight.

VT 16 MD 3

Posted by: stokesfamily | November 6, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

MD 31 - VT 21.

Posted by: Colm1 | November 6, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a good one...

I am more worried about the fact that Maryland is ranked now. (and they aren't that good against unranked teams)

Thursday night games seemed to have been upset games...

At the same time...Tech is not playing all that well...but you could say the same about the Terps...

I think it will end in tie.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | November 6, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Let us all say a prayer that Virginia Tech beats Maryland.

Prediction:

Virginia Tech -- 37
Maryland -- 13

I am extremely happy that Maryland stopped recruiting Tavon Austin - too much of an academic risk.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | November 6, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I've seen enough letdowns this year to know what's coming tonight:

VaTech: 24
Terps: 7

Hope I'm wrong, but this has been their pattern.

Posted by: JamWhitt | November 6, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Tough. VT not nearly as good as they usually are. However, UMD almost always seems to get destroyed on Thursday night. I'm gonna go with the Terps 24-17. Meggett has a big game.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 6, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

UMD: 9
VT: 45

Bad Thursday night team + One of the best Thursday night teams ever = game over before halftime. And 45 is Beamer calling off the dogs from his buddy Ralph at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

Maryland has played two strong, focused games in a row - it's time for them to go back to unfocused, unmotivated football. not that I want that, but this one smells bad already from here...

Posted by: kingrob76 | November 6, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Virginia Tech-42
Maryland-0

VT was tough at FSU for about 3 quarters before everyone got hurt. Couldn't move the ball on them at all. Fatigue played a role at the end. Won't in this one. Cosh on the road hasn't been good.

Posted by: clarkj | November 6, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

addendum: why will this be such a lopsided loss? Maryland will get owned on both lines of scrimmage.

Posted by: kingrob76 | November 6, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Maryland took Clemson in Death Valley and sent Son of Bobby Bowden into the Pit..

Maryland-23
Virginia Tech-17

Posted by: frak | November 6, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

well, I missed the score but hit the nail on the head with the line play. I so wish I had been wrong...

Posted by: kingrob76 | November 10, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse