Turner on Losing, 'Dirty Play and Cheap Shots'

About 30 minutes after the 37-3 loss to Florida State, quarterback Chris Turner sat before a handful of reporters and said, “I am still kind of in shock.”

After showing consistency and poise for most of the season, Turner did not play particularly well against the Seminoles. He was pressured throughout and hit hard, and that falls on the offensive line. But he also overthrew some receivers and knew he could have played better. Turner, who had not thrown an interception since Oct. 4, threw two.

Because of the cold, he said the ball was harder and slicker, but he did not blame the ball for the interceptions.

“I was surprised,” he said. “It was something I had been pretty good about all year. It had a huge factor in the game. It was something that is squarely on my shoulders, and I have to get back after it” this week.

Turner felt the entire offense let the team down. He said the defensive linemen were probably the fastest he has seen this season. Turner was sacked six times, five times in the first half, and said:

“They play dirty, that’s for sure. They take a lot of cheap shots, but that’s kind of their MO though. What goes around comes around, and I can’t do anything about that. That’s football, you know.”

Florida State was called for a personal foul because of one late hit on Turner. When I asked Turner if there were any other hits that he considered “dirty,” he said:

“There were cheap shots all game,” he said. “I was getting hit on run plays all the time. That just happens. It’s part of the game.”

Turner said a defensive player talked trash to him and that he might have said something back, adding: “That’s Florida State. They talk and they get in your face. I’m not judging one way or another.”

He said Maryland still has a lot to play for and that players want to go to a warm-weather bowl.

“I think you will see a different team on Saturday,” Turner said.

By Eric Prisbell  |  November 24, 2008; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Williams: 'Maybe Apathy' was Problem
Next: How Maryland and BC Stack Up

Comments

I hope we can somehow win and the players still get sent to Boise. They deserve that location.

Posted by: ckstevenson | November 24, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ckstevenson | November 24, 2008 11:51 AM

Fist yourself.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 24, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site."

Your post should be removed Barno1.

Consider me immensely underwhelmed by this team. It stinks to be a season ticket holder (for almost a decade) and have them blow it so many times.

Fridge can't read the mood of the team, a senior captain says they weren't focused nor was he. Two signs that this year was all about wasted dreams with no chance.

Fridge needs to fix this, he's a good coach, he can get better performances from the kids. Maybe next year's seniors are learning a lesson.

Posted by: ckstevenson | November 24, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

ck - You may be frustrated with the performance of the team and dissatisfied with the HC, but if they win Saturday they will be 8-4 overall, 5-3 in conference, and have zero chance of going to Boise. To suggest otherwise you'd have to be an idiot.

As a season ticket holder myself I was disappointed with the performance and outcome against FSU, but it has still been a good season overall compared with what existed before Ralph. It sure beats the heck out of hoping they can win one of their last few games just to barely become bowl eligible. It shows how far the team has come that losing to FSU is considered to be a big disappointment. The Terps just flat got outplayed pretty much across the board by a better team.

Posted by: jrfisher57 | November 24, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse