Where will the Terps Land?

So everyone is in the early stages of figuring out and speculating about where the Terps will play their bowl game.

Emerald may be an underdog because they played there last season. And it looks like Charlotte has its eye on North Carolina. Check out this entry from fine beat writer Ken Tysiac.

Nashville still a possibility. So is Orlando. What if Maryland loses to Boston College? Could the Terps really fall to the blue turf and Boise, where they could play an undefeated Boise State team?

By Eric Prisbell  |  November 23, 2008; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Who is Most at Fault?
Next: Friedgen's Sunday Chat

Comments

Ugh, I hope it's not Orlando. It's impossible to get anywhere near there in bowl season, Plane prices are almost 350 round trip.

Posted by: EricS2 | November 23, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

3 things contributed to this loss:

First and foremost, the players openly talked all week about how they would be scoreboard watching on saturday. Scoreboard watching = recipe for disaster. Their heads were not in the game from the start bc they were as interested in the Wake Forest outcome as they were on getting mentally prepared for this game.

Secondly, Friedgen should have instituted a strict policy of no paying any attention to the Wake Forest score. See my post from earlier this week in which I pleaded for Fridge to do this.

Thirdly, Maryland fans were simply atrocious in this game. Down 7-0, you could hear a pin drop in the stadium. I tried my best to fire up my section to no avail. The fans, like the players, were clearly demoralized by the Wake Forest loss. The cold temp didn't help either.

In summary, Maryland did not learn any lessons from the 06 debacle vs Wake. We lost that game, just like we lost yesterday, because were were scoreboard watching. It really is that simple.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 23, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Maryland lost to a better team. It wasn't the first time it happened this year - Virginia Tech is probably as good as Florida State - and I don't think it will be the last time - the TERPS still have to play Boston College and a minor bowl game.
The questions to be asked should be:
(1) why were the TERPS so badly beaten ? My suggestion, the absolute inferiority of the Maryland Offensive Line was the major factor.
(2) with 30 seniors, all recruited by the Fridge, why wasn't the team better? My suggestion - it's too easy to blame the coaching staff. They recruit and coach young men. There is NEVER any guarantee that they will develop into NFL starters. Napoleon Dynamite is a most pleasant surprise. The TERPS needed more like him.
(3) so how in hell did the TERPS whip California? In view of Maryland's record subsequent to the California game,
I have no explanation.

I thought Maryland was developing into a good football team. I was wrong. They are slightly above average.

Maryland fans should recall the lines from the Johnny Cash song; "I don't like it but I guess things happen that way."
(It beats the idea of the Sondheim song, "where are the clowns, send in the clowns, don't bother, they're here.")

Posted by: lmiller328 | November 23, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, this year's team is so unpredictable that it's hard to imagine a good bowl game. I've followed the Terps since 'Sunny Jim' Tatum's reign and find this year's edition too mediocre to become excited about a presumptive bowl appearance. Even if they beat BC, their subsequent performance will likely be flat and unresponsive. As for coaching, consider that competition for academically qualified players in our region is very great indeed. Who would choose College Park over more pleasant southern locations (and easier academic standards)? Tatum's recruiting grounds included Pennsylvania, NY, NJ. Most players there now look to Big Ten schools and, increasingly, Big East. Can't blame them, either. UMd at College Park is no spa.

Posted by: AncientTerp | November 23, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"The TERPS have a head coach with a slightly better record than his predecessors."
easy on the crack pipe...

Posted by: Lee26 | November 23, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse