Williams: 'Maybe Apathy' was Problem

Maryland center Edwin Williams remembers the feeling in 2006, when Maryland blew a chance to win the Atlantic Division title against Wake Forest. Back then, Williams said, he didn’t feel the Terrapins felt they were good enough, didn’t feel they had enough confidence in themselves.

On Saturday, Maryland squandered another chance to take a significant step toward a division championship. Williams said the problem Saturday might have been “apathy.”

“We should have gone out and played our hearts out,” Williams said. “And we didn’t.” He said players “just weren’t focused, myself included.”

For a senior leader like Williams, this was difficult to understand.

“I kept telling myself, ‘Don’t take anything for granted. Don’t take anything for granted,’” Williams said. “And I think we did. I think we took a lot for granted. We thought other people would get us up, and we didn’t get ourselves up.”

In the locker room after the 37-3 loss to Florida State, there was mostly silence. Some players spoke to their specific units. Williams told some players to not let anyone break the team apart, to avoid pointing fingers and to win and lose as a team.

“I was pretty sure, win or lose, that I would cry,” he said.

While Williams took the loss hard, he tried to maintain perspective.

“As time goes, I think I will understand that is just the way it goes,” he said. “You really have to think about the good times. You won’t think about the scores and who won and who lost. You will think about the people you shared relationships with, the people and the atmospheres. In the grand scheme of things, the scores and wins and loses are not important. It’s about the people.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  November 24, 2008; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Around the League, and Beyond
Next: Turner on Losing, 'Dirty Play and Cheap Shots'

Comments

They all stunk.

On behalf of all the MD fans who let ourselves get suckered, yet again, by this team: You guys blew, and were totally shown up in your house on senior day.

If you can't get up to play for a shot at the ACC title, why on earth would anyone think you can get up against BC?

Oh right, because you want to go to a warm weather bowl game. Lovely.

I hope you get to hear half of the comments we fans get from the rest of the ACC: how this team chokes, how it is soft, how it has no heart, how you only got lucky in your "big" wins.

Don't show up on Saturday and you deserve Boise or DC for your bowl. Either way, you'll have no heart in the bowl game and get destroyed.

Posted by: ckstevenson | November 24, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

ckstevenson is obviously not a terps fan. A real terps fan would never say that garbage. My guess is this tool became a fan within the last couple years (possibly a current student) and has no idea the pain that real fans went through for more than a decade before Fridge arrived.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 24, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,
You're right the effort from the OLine was still pretty pathetic Saturday night. I'm about a buck eighty and I think I could have at least held or cut somebody and slowed them down...

Posted by: Lee26 | November 24, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, our O-line killed us. Specifically Edwin Williams, who was telling anyone who would listen last week that he planned on getting updates as often as possible on the Wake Forest score. Watching the scoreboard killed us in the 06 debacle vs Wake, and it cost us dearly again this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 24, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice retort, no substance so make personal attacks.

This team has shown its true colors, they are under performers who don't show up for the important games. They are on the whole a bunch of great guys, but can't get it done on the field.

I've been a Terp my entire life. I went to Cole when games were blacked out and we had no scholarships. I went to Byrd when you could basically walk in for free.

The players admit to not being able to be prepared mentally for games, they don't get it. They don't know how to win.

Posted by: ckstevenson | November 24, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I have to go with ckstevenson on this one. I was a student during the years right after Len Bias died, and watching the Terps play those years was no fun. So, yes, anything above that is an improvement.

However, I find it very disturbing when I hear players talk about not being up for this game. How can you not be up for this game? You win, it puts you that much closer to the ACC title game and a BCS bowl. To say that you weren't up for this game is pretty pathetic. It shows a lack of leadership on the part of the seniors and the coaching staff, something in which they should be held accountable for. If you have that kind of mediocre mentality, you will be left out of anything in life, much less championships. Great teams always rise to the occasion, and I have seen this team rise one week and then fall the next. It's literally like watching two different teams out there.

DON'T SETTLE FOR MEDIOCRE!

Posted by: ecglotfelty | November 24, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

What E. Williams expressed is a result of not having that culture of expecting to win based on having always done it. These are relatively young men who don't have the perspective of years of experience, so they have to base everything on what they know and what their peers and leaders help instill in them. Maybe Fridge is not the HC to take them to the level of Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma, but getting them to the point where they are disappointed with not beating FSU or going to a good bowl game is progress.

Even if they lose to BC they would still be about where they were projected at the beginning of the year - 7-5 overall, 4-4 in conference. Swap out MTSU and Cal for the non-conference, UVA and Clemson in the conference, and the rest of the schedule probably unfolded about as expected. There were probably some who picked them to lose at least one of Wake and UNC before the season also. The frustration comes from the lack of consistency, but the reality is that is to be expected until they can establish the program as a consistent top 15 team.

Posted by: jrfisher57 | November 24, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse