Another Encouraging Performance By Tucker

Cliff Tucker now has turned in two solid showings in a row, certainly a welcome development for Gary Williams and the rest of the Terps. Tucker played 17 minutes and was one of the first two subs off the bench (he and Dino Gregory entered with 14:33 remaining in the first half). He finished with seven points on 3 for 6 shooting.

"Cliff's got talent, he really does," Williams said. "He got tired, that lay-up he missed. We had a sub up at the table. You know, Cliff can get way over the rim, but not there. He was so tired, he couldn't get up. But that's what I told him. I said, 'Nobody's upset. You play as hard as you can for as long as you can.' You try to get that into your players to do that. I thought Cliff really played with a lot of intensity tonight."

After beginning the season as a starter, Tucker was relegated to bench duty, in part, for lack of discipline and lack of energy on the court. At one point, he was lucky to play 10 minutes in a given contest. But Tucker appears to have addressed both issues and has played his way back into being a player Williams can rely upon during significant stretches of games.

While I'm not sure he'll edge his way back into the starting lineup, I do believe Tucker will provide the Terps a capable option -- offensively and defensively -- off the bench for the rest of the season. What do you all envision his role as being the rest of the way?

By Steve Yanda  |  December 23, 2008; 10:34 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Doing Well Without Doing Well
Next: Rotation Talk

Comments

I think against bigger teams they might need Tucker to start at the 3 and Bowie to come off the bench. He has a good 2 inches on Bowie from the looks of it and that might be the smart way to play it against a bigger starter on the wing.

I like the kids game. Very within himself and doesn't try to do too much. Solid player. I hope he keeps getting 15-20 minutes the rest of the year.

Posted by: Lee26 | December 23, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Scoring off the bench -- the quick burst that opens up a lead or conversely, helps the team break a shooting slump.

Funny how that's exactly the thing all Gary Williams teams seem to need, and most years don't get...

I don't know what Gary has against shooters -- maybe they don't play defense well enough to suit him -- but he sure doesn't recruit many of them . Notre Dame and West Virginia set an example of what decent shooters can do for your won-loss record.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I think this is a fairly deep team. No superstars, but a lot of good players who can step it up on any given night. This is a 20 win team.

Posted by: stokesfamily | December 23, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 15-16 record and 4-12 in the ACC

No NCAA

No NIT

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | December 24, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@hclark1

ACC Basketball:
MARYLAND 82 - unc 80 (Saturday, 1/19/08)

ACC Lacrosse:
MARYLAND 13 - unc 8 (Saturday, 3/22/08)

ACC Soccer:
MARYLAND 2 - unc 1 (Friday, 11/7/08)

ACC Football:
MARYLAND 17 - unc 15 (Saturday, 11/15/08)

ACC Soccer Championship (1st round):
MARYLAND 1 - unc 0 (Wednesday, 11/12/08)

NCAA Men's Soccer Championship Game:
MARYLAND 1 - unc 0 (Sunday, 12/14/08)

Posted by: Terptwin | December 24, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The ACC this year is down(top to bottom), TarHeels are great, but Duke is beatable, good but beatable. Terps can finish as high as third or as low as seventh with a bad slide. I grew up on the Terps but I am a WVU guy. Pat White will take care of those TarHeels saturday..

Posted by: bills_2_cents | December 26, 2008 4:41 AM | Report abuse