Are You Interested in Maryland-Nevada in Humanitarian Bowl?

The bowl selection process, particularly concerning ACC teams this season, is very fluid. The reason Maryland has about a 90 percent chance right now to head to the Humanitarian Bowl and not a 100 percent chance is because Maryland officials still are clinging to hope that the Terrapins can land in Charlotte. That is a bowl slot they have eyed all along because of its proximity to this region and because of a potential matchup against West Virginia. A berth in Charlotte's bowl is an improbable long shot, but I will break it down here even more than I did in my story in today’s paper.

It all starts with Orlando’s Champs Sports Bowl. Maryland does not have a chance to land in Orlando, but the selection Orlando makes could affect where Maryland goes. It has been presumed that Orlando would take Florida State. But Maryland officials believe Orlando has given mixed signals. If Virginia Tech lost to Boston College, they said, Orlando might take Virginia Tech.

Hang with me, if you will. If that happened – and it’s a big if – Nashville would be on the clock. The Maryland officials believe Nashville could take North Carolina over Florida State. If that happened --- and it’s a big if – Charlotte would be on the clock. The Maryland officials believe Charlotte could take Maryland over Florida State to create a Terrapins-West Virginia game.

I have doubts why bowls would not select Florida State considering how well the Seminoles historically travel and the fact that there is a chance it could be Coach Bobby Bowden’s final game. I could understand Nashville passing on FSU because the Seminoles played there last season, but I have reservations about the others.

I already have my $680 plane ticket to Boise, and I believe I will use that ticket to cover a Maryland-Nevada game on Dec. 30. But there is at least a little intrigue in seeing how Saturday’s games play out. Now, a poll...

By Eric Prisbell  |  December 4, 2008; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Expected Star Returns To Form
Next: Solid Showing For Gregory

Comments

I picked "I support my team regardless," but to be quite honest I would probably consider missing the game if I had something else to do. And you're definitely not catching me in Boise, in December or otherwise.

Posted by: pipkin42 | December 4, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully I'll be back in the USA in time to watch it.

Posted by: Colm1 | December 4, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I was more interested in seeing Ball St. vs Boise St. No idea who's masochistic enough to watch UMD/Nev on TV let alone travel to glorious Boise to see it in person.

Posted by: JayDee1 | December 4, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

This one for the true fans, and I'll be watching. Not much of a matchup.

Posted by: srcog | December 4, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

as srcog said: "This one for the true fans..." Indeed, the same people who watched last year's yawn-fest in San Francisco will watch this year's essentially meaningless yawn-fest on the smurf turf. Count me as one of those people. Hell, at least it'll look different.

Posted by: putnam23 | December 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Skidmarks is right, if you watched last year's bowl game chances are you'll be watching again this year.

Maryland should just play in the D.C. bowl regardless of whether it conflicts with exams. The coaches just need to teach their players the ole Health Center note routine for exam week.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 4, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching. It could be much worse. Maryland could go back to the 90's when they never made a bowl. Bring on Nevada on the smurf turf! Go Terps!

Posted by: croftonpost | December 4, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

At least the game will be on ESPNU!!

Posted by: Siamese1 | December 4, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

YAWN!!!

but of course ill watch it...probably TiVo and at my own convenience...

disappointing we wound up at the bottom of the pack of 4-4 acc teams since our record against those teams was 4-0...

weak sauce!!!

guess u cant complain after losing to MTSU...ouch!!!

Posted by: deadskin | December 4, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

oh and btw...bosie is doable from here in seattle...but not for this...not like this!!!

on to the hoops!!!