Breaking News: Cosh Returns to Kansas State

Chris Cosh, Maryland’s third-year defensive coordinator, will leave to become Kansas State’s defensive coordinator and assistant head coach, his wife, Mary Cosh, said. A Maryland official said Cosh will not coach in the Terrapins bowl game.

Cosh is returning to Kansas State to work with Coach Bill Snyder, whom Cosh worked under as linebackers coach during the 2004 and 2005 seasons. Snyder, who came out of retirement two weeks ago, said in a recent phone interview that he has a deep affection for Cosh and respects him as a communicator, teacher and family man.

Maryland has endured a wildly inconsistent season, but a vocal segment of the fan base has directed its ire almost exclusively at the 49-year-old Cosh. The performance of the defense, which ranked ninth in the ACC in total defense, ranged from poor to occasionally impressive during an overall erratic season.

During a mid-season interview, Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen praised Cosh for building strong local recruiting inroads and said he had not lost any confidence in the Washington, D.C., native. But Friedgen called Cosh an “evolving coach” because sometimes he becomes too emotional on the sideline.

“As a coordinator, you can’t do that,” Friedgen said. “If you want to be an assistant coach, that’s fine.”

Defensive communication issues arose during at least three games this season, including late in the second quarter at Virginia Tech on Nov. 6. That prompted a displeased Friedgen to emphatically address Cosh on the sideline. Virginia Tech redshirt freshman Darren Evans rushed for a school-record 253 yards in Maryland’s 23-13 loss.

But Friedgen believed Cosh’s second-half adjustments were the reason Maryland beat Clemson, 20-17, on Sept. 27. Maryland held the Tigers to 26 rushing yards in the second half and rallied from an 11-point deficit on the road. Friedgen also said the defense played well enough to win the regular season finale at Boston College on Nov. 29, but a nonexistent running game and turnovers led to a 28-21 loss.

Snyder, who recommended Cosh to Friedgen in late 2005, said: “When coaches ask me about another coach, they finish by asking is there some fault in the individual. When asked the same question about Chris, I was hard-pressed to find one.”

Here is the story I wrote about Cosh in October.

By Eric Prisbell  |  December 5, 2008; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Changing A Mindset
Next: An Unfavorable Tournament

Comments

Thank god! At least Terp football fans have something to be happy about this month.

Posted by: Terpfan27 | December 5, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Break out the bubbly!

Posted by: RAD3 | December 5, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hip Hip, Horaaay

Posted by: WelcometotheTurtledome | December 5, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It's about time. Sad to say but I hope Ralph is next on the list. This team is to up and down and the recruiting has been horrible. I won't drop anohter dime into that program until some serious changes are made. Come on Debbie, work your magic.

Posted by: loncap4242 | December 5, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Maryland at least one game better next year!

Posted by: TheAman44 | December 5, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

he gone!!!!good luck and more important good bye. I doubt that he will be missed.I have a hunch he is leaving because fridge is probably leaving as well.

Posted by: toddwhite2004 | December 5, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank God! And he didn't have to be fired, so maybe his son will come to play QB at Maryland with the bridge still not burnt.

Posted by: jrraley | December 5, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

any chance Gary Blackney comes back???

Posted by: asnis715 | December 5, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Debbie's gotta make a trip down south and talk to Tubberville about replacing Fridge

Posted by: RT99 | December 5, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I hear he is a great dad and wonderful husband.

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | December 5, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I fell like someone just offered me full price for my upside down mortgage.

Posted by: Turtlewaxing | December 5, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I'm FLOORED by the STUPIDITY of some remarks from so-called FOOTBALL fans. Coach Cosh did his best with what LITTLE he had...zero PASS-RUSHERS recruited and an ERRATIC offesnsive play-caller up in the booth. Pesonally, I think he was thrown under the bus when you consider UMd's time of possesion falls far below their opponents, leaving an already DEPLETED defense on the field gasping for air. As for the VA TECH game, yeah 253 yards sucks but I'm still SHOCKED that RB didn't score more than 1 touchdown. I don't wanna say that the football program is in SHAMBLES but considering the MEANINGLESS (and viewerless) BOWL GAME coming up, it don't look too great either...

Posted by: iamasofaking | December 5, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

this still doesnt make the blueberry bowl any more exciting...i think ill go back to sleep...

Posted by: deadskin | December 5, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I also think he was thrown under the bus and think the blame should be placed with the head coach. Cosh did the best with the talent he had, but not only was the defensive play calling awful, so was the offensive playcalling. Maryland fans are just as erratic. They booed Steffy the first game of the season, yet Chris Turner didn't do any better during the season. The reality of the program is this: Friedgen has taken it as far as he can. As long as he's head coach, they still will be inconsistent, and whomever he hires as the next DC, things won't change.

Posted by: lewis972 | December 5, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Those who are celebrating might want to realize that Cosh, while not the preeminent defensive mind in the game, did an OK job with the meager talent he was presented with.

I would like to see Al Seamonson elevated to defensive coordinator. Every year he does an outstanding job with the linebackers. He was passed over last time and I'd hate to see such a capable guy ignored again.

What I would LOVE to see is the fat man canned. Friedgen is the root of the problem here.

Who would I hire? Bud Foster. I think he'd be a great head coach. I'd also like to bring in Billy Hite, also from VT, as the recruiting coordinator.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | December 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Big Ralph won't be going anywhere until his contract runs out. Debbie Yow, renowned for her frugality,is loathe to buy out the contracts of any coach. I think his buyout pricetag would amount to about $4.5 million.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | December 5, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

What I found most troubling this year was that it seems that Friedgen and Cosh weren't on the same page. Several references have been made to "miscommunication" on the sideline. I have to think the head coach bears the most responsibility on that.

I found Cosh's schemes a bit too passive. He wasn't fond of blitzing. Trying to avoid the big play, he often employed soft zones.

However, it would be quite unfair to blame Cosh for the mediocrity that has plagued the program recently.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | December 5, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I was told by my doctor to take a few weeks off because I reported visions of smurf blue turf.

Looks like I'm off to Boise!

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | December 5, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Our woes certainly aren't entirely Cosh's fault, but hell, it's a start.

I'd like to see how Seamonson does in the job.

Posted by: jrchris | December 5, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Blackney's the SECONDARY coach at UCF right now. Not sure why he'd take a step down like that, but... Maybe he could be wooed back to UMD.

Posted by: jrchris | December 5, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

This is great news. Addition by subtraction. Let's hope Fridge is smart enough to hire an aggressive DC and no more read and react nonsense.

Blackney would be a great choice. Not sure what terms he and Fridge split udner though.

Posted by: srcog | December 5, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

He did the best he could have with what he had. Sure I wasn't his biggest fan but he was a Terp these past three years and he wanted to win just like the other coaches.

The D also had some injuries this year. Maybe the Terps beat BC if Kevin Barnes is there.

Good luck at K State.

Posted by: BBride | December 5, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: loncap4242 | December 5, 2008 4:48 PM

You are an ass. Keep your dime and go root for State Penn.

Posted by: virtueandvice | December 5, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Posted by: DelawareTerp | December 6, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jrraley | December 5, 2008 5:16 PM

if his son reads this blog, there's not a snowball chance in Hades, he'd play in front of some of these yahoos.

Posted by: mdrockjock | December 9, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse