MAC Commissioner: Ball State Not Expected to Go To Boise

I just got off the phone with Rick Chryst, the commissioner of the Mid-American Conference. He said the MAC and Ball State have explored all possibilities to make the Boise State-Ball State game work. But he expects Ball State to play in one of the MAC-affiliated bowls, and not in Boise.

That means Maryland is probably headed to Boise. The opponent in Boise, Idaho, would be Boise State or Nevada. Boise State could have an opportunity to play TCU in a pretty good matchup in San Diego.

“I think we have exhausted in a good way all the possibilities of” Ball State vs. Boise State, Chryst said. “And my sense is strongly that Ball State will be in one of the three MAC games, which means Ball State-Boise State is not likely to happen.”

A Ball State official also said Ball State will play in one of the MAC games. Kevin McDonald, the executive director at the Humanitarian Bowl, said a press release will be issued in about an hour. Chryst cited a few reasons why Boise State-Ball State will not work out.

“Where we are likely to end up is that Ball State remains in the MAC bowl mix,” Chryst said. “I don’t want to speak for our bowl partners or for Ball State but I think it is primarily to really strengthen the MAC bowls, that we are still growing our bowl games. I also think there is a real focus on the economic environment right now.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  December 3, 2008; 2:41 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bowl Slots Filling Fast
Next: Bringing 'Em Back

Comments

Wow! Maryland!!! Nevada!!! In Boise!!!!!

Posted by: deepak_kalpoe | December 3, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh Boise!

Posted by: coastallp74 | December 3, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Maryland should turn down the invite.

Just say no to Smurf-Turf.

If I'm a player on the Terps, or coach for that matter, do I really want to be in IDAHO for New Years Eve?

Late December + Boise, Idaho = Lower appendages being just as blue as the turf...

No thanks.

I also doubt many people would be interested in traveling to Boise for a bowl game either. It's too late to get a decent price on a cabin in sky/snowboarding country at that way too, so killing 2 birds with one stone wouldn't work for Terp fans either.

Posted by: alecw81 | December 3, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

What a great punishment for losing the last two games!

Posted by: donmac1 | December 3, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Chryst is no dummy. He and all the Ball State people know they can't win in Boise. They have to protect their perfect season in order to be ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of next season. It isn't very sportsmanlike, but then again it isn't about football is it? Just like everyone else it is money, prestige and gravitas. A perfect season is remembeed and can be built upon while a losss at Boise tosses a dead rat in next year's soup.

Posted by: JLFuller | December 3, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse