Ripping the City of Boise, Idaho

Barring a wild turn of events on Saturday, Maryland likely will reluctantly play in the bowl game that never wanted the Terrapins in the first place. And, yes, I perfectly understand the reluctance of fans to be excited about Maryland headed out to Boise, Idaho. But I disagree with anyone who feels Boise is a pit, and I am not referring to anyone who has commented on this site. It is a pretty cool city. A fun city. A city I was hoping to return to all season long. Just far, far away. And everyone understands the state of the economy.

I have been to Boise a handful of times, and to other parts of Idaho on a few more occasions. It’s a different place, for sure. A little rugged, but that’s not a bad thing. I have also had the pleasure of celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day with a handful of Boise State fans during a rip-roaring night in Salt Lake City during the NCAA tournament a few years ago.

It is expensive to get to Boise; it’s not expensive to stay there. I’m not making Boise out to be Santa Barbara or something, but it’s not bad. And just about every reporter I know who has visited feels it is a bit underrated. Granted, I am a bit odd in the sense that I like out-of-the-way places; I even had soft spot for Murfreesboro, Tenn., and that place was the pit of pits. But I have a hard time taking travel advice from one mad scientist I know who has never been to Las Vegas and who has not been to a beach in 12 ½ years. (I kid because I like him.)

And spending four days in Boise beats the heck out of spending the same time in Charlotte (ugh) or at one of the at-large bowl locations. Agree or disagree?

By Eric Prisbell  |  December 4, 2008; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who Do You Root For?
Next: Who Starts? Who Cares?

Comments

I'm curious as to why you did not like Murfreesboro and Charlotte. I've never been to either but friends have told me they liked both.

Posted by: srcog | December 4, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

id stay home!!!

but ive been to boise...its not a bad town...

Posted by: deadskin | December 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

id stay home!!!

but ive been to boise...nice town...

Posted by: deadskin | December 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Boise: great town, especially for skiing. Sucks for football in December.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | December 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I picked Boise, but partly because I haven't spent much time out west and have never been there in particular. Though I do have relatives there and have heard good things about the town.

I recently spent a weekend in Houston and a night in Shreveport. Houston is an awesome city, you could easily spend a week there and have a blast the entire time (although downtown essentially shuts down on the weekends).

Shreveport is certainly no a booming metropolis but I had a really fun time there... Four days in Shreveport would be a stretch though.

Never been to Charlotte, and am a little embarrassed to say so because I only live about 1.5 hour away from it at the moment. If it's anything like Raleigh it'd be a pretty cool city. And for what it's worth, I've heard positive things about it, though I think I'd still prefer to spend my weekends in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, or Wilmington.

I've been to Detroit, but didn't spend much time in the city itself. Don't really feel like I missed out, and don't foresee myself making any specific plans to return there.

Only driven through Birmingham.

Posted by: jrchris | December 4, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I live in Boise and I love it here. I prefer warm football games to cold ones, but BRING ON THE FOOTBALL!! Come see us, we are nice!

Posted by: boisegal | December 4, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Detroit, but only because i've extended family up that way that i haven't seen in a decade.

i would have gone with Houston....pre-Ike.

without the influence of family, and keeping Ike in mind, Boise tops the list.

Posted by: mdrockjock | December 4, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

You wouldnt happen to be posting this editorial because you bought a 680$ ticket to Boise (which btw is a HUGE price to pay to attend a small bowl bid)? Because if I had bought that ticket, I'd write one hell of an article too!

Posted by: Bradumd | December 4, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I was born and raised in Murfreesboro, TN, and lived in Chicago for six years before moving to Boise, ID. All I can say is, "Come on out y'all!" You'll love it here. The people are uncommonly friendly, and the city is safe and clean. The atmosphere at the football games is fantastic!

Posted by: kmcmillan1 | December 4, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Hi Eric,

I roared when I read your polling question. The only reason I chose Houston is because it's December and I have family there. Otherwise, I'm afraid to admit, I'd rather be in Boise.

Posted by: Terptwin | December 4, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in San Diego, CA and live here now. Spent three years in Boise. Love San Diego....LOVE Boise. Since I do live here, I cant complain that the Broncos are coming my way!!

Posted by: padrefan619 | December 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Detroit. It's an extremely troubled city, yes, but it also has a strong cultural legacy that can still be experienced. Seeing the Heidelberg Project would be awesome.

Or, you know, a Roger and Me sightseeing tour or something.

Houston was my second choice, but that city and that state kinda scare me. It's warm there, though.

Posted by: pipkin42 | December 5, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Why four days? I know that's what you reporters care about (which is why you all tend to overplay the city draw aspect), but no one I know has ever stayed for 4 days for a bowl game. 3 days at most, many for days or even fly in the morning of and then a post game departure.

Houston is the pick, solely because it's December and that'll be the warmest location.

Posted by: ckstevenson | December 5, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Boise is the bomb for skiing Terps: very respectable Bogus Basin ski area just 15 miles outside town, has several thousand acres of terrain and approx 2000' vertical drop. World Famous Sun Valley ski resort is approx 3 hrs from Boise. Ironically, I think they are hurting for snow out there right now, though that could change a lot by 30 Dec.

Posted by: jjj33 | December 5, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

All ya'll from Boise need to be a little more discrete. I can tell transplants from we natives because you guys advertise a little too much. Plus you think that Sun Valley is actually part of Idaho as opposed what it really is: "Tahoe North". One of the true gems about living in Idaho is low population, and we'd like to keep it that way so let me throw a few rocks at Boise: Bad gang and illegal immigrant problems, terrible traffic at times (esp. Eagle Road and I-84) due to poor infrastructure and growth planning, and if you love Obama, you'll hate our politics in Idaho.

Posted by: bill64 | December 5, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh - forgot the inversion that sets in during late winter which traps pollutants, making for fog, poor air quality, and it's really difficult to fly in during those months.

Posted by: bill64 | December 5, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse