Where Does This Leave Portis?

So when I asked Ralph Friedgen about Jordan Steffy's career the other day, Friedgen once again said he wouldn't be surprised if Steffy came in an won a game for the Terps, and that it might be the Nevada game (it would have to be the Nevada game). Friedgen became emotional when talking about Steffy. Friedgen also said that Steffy is the No. 2 quarterback heading into the game, etc. Just a few months ago, the coaches were very excited about using Josh Portis to mix things up. For whatever reason, it has not worked out as planned. And perhaps one of the reasons why is because Chris Turner has played well for the most part. I was wondering what everyone feels about Portis now and where he stands in the program.

By Eric Prisbell  |  December 12, 2008; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Good Enough Isn't The Point
Next: Terps Crush Delaware State, 86-58

Comments

This is a prime example for our coaches being out of touch with reality. How can they not exploit Portis' unbelievable athletic talent? And I don't want to hear about the 'complicated playbook' crap. We have all seen what Steffy is capable for years now. He knows the playbook and look what he has done with it when in the game - nothing. Cosh was the first step in righting the football ship - we need a fresh start with an entire new group. Out with the conservative play not to lose mentality. If Yow thinks anyone will pay the big money to buy the luxury boxes for another 7-5 snoozer season she can mail back her mail order PhD to whatever online college she got it from.

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | December 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Here is info on Ms. Yow's education including two honorary doctorates. The master's is from Liberty. She does seem like a top AD to me (as long as she lets Gary's recruits into the University when they have met NCAA requirements).

She holds a bachelor's degree from Elon University, a masters degree from Liberty University, a doctorate (honorus causa) from the United States Sports Academy and an honorary doctorate for professional achievement from Elon University.

On Portis, he is high risk-high reward. With him as the everyday starter, I can see a better and can also see a worse record. Hard to say. He got pulled early, with any mistake at all.

Posted by: EdDC | December 12, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Yow got a degree from LIBERTY? From that nutcase-factory?

JE-SUS (no irony intended). I always thought she was a decent AD, but Liberty scares me.

Anyway, Fridge's completely irrational love for Steffy just doesn't make any sense to me. He's never performed like a good player. I'm no Turner fan, but he's at least played well at times. Steffy never has.

Posted by: pipkin42 | December 12, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Turner is good; I really hate seeing ignorant people bashing him without understanding that he is not the weakest link by a mile. And Turner is a considerably better player than Steffy. He really seems to have developed a lot since he first got put in the Rutgers game last year. He played very well in the last three games, despite their results, despite terrible play calling, and despite getting crushed every play because of the O-line.

Barring something unforeseen, if Friedgen puts Steffy in this game he deserves to be fired on the spot. Earlier in the season when he was wistfully comparing Steffy to his son, I read other people compare him to a little league coach who keeps playing his kid despite him being a bad player.

If Friedgen puts Steffy in the game when it still hangs in the balance (and I can't foresee it being a Maryland romp) it shows he is not just completely out of touch with reality, but that he can't put aside emotion for the good of the team. A head coach needs to be calculating and emotionless when making game decisions, and have the good of the entire team in mind; not just one kid, no matter how much of a "good kid" he is. What about all the other seniors on the team, if he decides to put in an inferior player? What about Turner? He's the guy who was a big part of us even getting to a bowl the last two years in the first place!

Posted by: jrchris | December 12, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

This might be a dumb question...Have the Terps eveer thought about making Josh Portis a wide receiver?

Posted by: BBride | December 12, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

it doesnt really matter if steffy plays or the terps win vs. Nevada.4 more quarters and his career as a terp is over.I agree that the idea of portis being a wr is a great idea.worked for VT this season(Boone).besides,Arent you supposed to get the best athletes on the field?.All I can say is this bowl game is a big let down again from what coulda been.one last word...PLEASE,JELANI JENKINS AND TAVON AUSTIN COME TO UMCP,SO WE CAN WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: toddwhite2004 | December 12, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

pipkin42,

Just because Liberty is a right wing nut factory that preaches religion over reason, doesn't mean that Debbie lacks the tolerance to let Gary bring his recruits into the program. I think.

Posted by: EdDC | December 12, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I cannot agree more with the idea of trying Portis at WR. I also think Kick Returner might be a possibility. Really haven't had the opportunity to see him too much, but being a quarterback I would assume he is pretty sure-handed and his athletic ability should make him a good match for KR, especially with Oquendo leaving. Torrey Smith has looked pretty good in that role though.

But, yeah, I keep thinking the same thing about putting Portis at WR. I mean, hell, if you aren't even going to give the kid a chance at QB, why not? They put him in for one play and then pull him. He gets put in for a play and makes a mistake and gets pulled out. Or he gets put in on an obvious run on a keeper and then gets pulled. At least let him run a series every once in a while when the game doesn't immediately hang in the balance...

Posted by: jrchris | December 12, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

It's a sad sign. Ralph loves Steffy, wants to play him all the time. But he's had him on campus for five years, and they guy just can't make plays.

In the case of Portis, he's been here for three years. And when he's been on the field, he's shown he can run. He's never been in long enough of a drive for me to see if he can run an offense, if he can pass, what he'd do if he had a rhythym. But he's certainly a superior athlete, and should be on the field somewhere.

It's an indictment of the coaching staff. Either they have this talent in Steffy and Portis and can't develop them into productive players - or they just don't know how to use them.

And honestly, I just don't think Turner is ever going to be consistent and accurate enough a passer for a CT quarterbacked team to do any better than it has these past two years.

Posted by: dlgood | December 13, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Word is that Portis is transfering to James Madison.

Posted by: UnitedWeStand | December 13, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Portis should be on the field as he is a 'freakish athlete.' But we can't forget that Portis WOULD have been the QB if he had not been caught cheating on that test. It's sad that it worked out that way for him, but he has no one to blame but himself. If I was him, I wouldn't transfer. Our O-Line is likely to get Turner killed next year. They almost already did against FSU and BC.

Posted by: aviscardo | December 13, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Naw, Portis is transferring to Liberty.

Posted by: stokesfamily | December 13, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Naw, Portis is transferring to Liberty."

I am SERIOUS! He IS transfering to JMU.

Eric, you may want to look into this.

Posted by: UnitedWeStand | December 13, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

My view on Steffy: Most of the comments made about Steffy is his lack of big plays. I think most of that is attributed to two things: 1) He has been plagued by injuries his entire career at MD. Last year, he was the bona fide starter until he got knocked out at Rutgers. Had that not happened, we would have never gotten to really know of Turner's abilities. 2)The type of offense (pro-style, West Coast whatever)that Fridge has in there compliments Turner more than Steffy. If you remember, Fridge used Steffy earlier in his career in much the same way as he used Portis: in an option-like offense. Steffy was not much of a passer, so he had to adjust to that type of playing at QB

As far as Portis goes, either adopt your play around him or let him go. Portis is a very quick runner, so if he plays QB, the Terps will have to go to a running attack, like Paul Johnson had done at Navy and GT. Otherwise, he is wasting his talent here. This was a guy who transferred out of Florida! Granted, getting mop-up duty is more likely with Turner than with Tebow. But they need to do more than just stick him in for one play and out. It's obvious what they are going to run (gee, you think he's going to carry it? Duh). I would like to see what he could do on a whole possession.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | December 13, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Portis to transfer with one yr of eligibility?the QB at JMU looked good last night minus trhe 1 INT.I doubt that "the word on the street" is accurate here.

Posted by: toddwhite2004 | December 13, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Portis is going to JMU

Posted by: leed1911 | December 13, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

JMU's stud QB this year is a senior. Anyway, if Portis transferred that would mean he would have to sit out ANOTHER year, and wouldn't play for two more seasons. I don't see it happening, but maybe...

Posted by: jrchris | December 14, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I wish Fridge would've given Portis a series or two at some point in time this season so we could judge what he can do. We've seen him make big runs, we've seen him make good and bad throws. But we've never seen him run the offense. Sucks.

Posted by: Lee26 | December 15, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about Portis. We need to find a running game and a defense. That is what will win us the ACC title next year. Portis sealed his fate when he cheated and missed a whole season. He will never beat out Chris Turner and likely will not beat out Jamar Robinson for the back up spot.

Posted by: barons10 | December 15, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse