Mosley's Subtle Gift

Freshman guard Sean Mosley had another solid showing Saturday night against Georgia Tech. After appearing to have hit a figurative wall during December, Mosley has played well of late and continues to draw praise from Gary Williams for his adaptability and persistence.

Mosley tallied 10 points, four rebounds and three steals in 25 minutes during the first ACC contest of his career.

"He’s really one of those people that listens," Williams said. "You know, he really listens in practice. He just looks you right in the eye when you’re trying to teach something and he’s trying to see himself in that situation. He does a really good job with that, especially for a freshman."

What have been your impressions of Mosley, his play and his potential thus far in his freshman campaign? What kind of role do you think he should play, assuming he maintains his current level of productivity, the rest of the way?

By Steve Yanda  |  January 12, 2009; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Williams's Cliche Might Be Wise Approach
Next: Strickland Out for Duke Game

Comments

They lose Saturday without him plain and simple. He should've been the player fo the game as opposed to Hayes. I have yet to find a good website that has +/- on college players but my inclination is that Moseley's is one of the highest on the team. When the kid is on the court the Terps grab more boards, play better defense, and even occasionally get an offensive rebound. If he plays like he played Saturday he shoudl never get less than 25 minutes.

Posted by: Lee26 | January 12, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Yikes... Found it on the Washington Times Blog... Mosley was +10 Saturday, as was Hayes, Neal was +13, Vasquez +8 everyone else lower, Tucker and Dupree -12...

Posted by: Lee26 | January 12, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Lee:

D1scourse does +/- for Maryland games. The one for the GT game available here.

Posted by: Colm1 | January 12, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lee26 | January 12, 2009 3:32 PM
...
Posted by: Lee26 | January 12, 2009 3:43 PM
...
Posted by: Colm1 | January 12, 2009 3:46 PM

I was so close!

Posted by: Colm1 | January 12, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Mosely is a positive addition to the Terps and will only get better. However, his shooting range appears to be about three feet. He needs to work hard next summer on developing a reliable jump shot and free throw. Currently, the defense ignores his head fake when he is 20 feet from the basket because they know he isn't going to shoot it.

Posted by: gw67 | January 12, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I think he must be having a hard time getting used to shooting in the big arena. Kid scored about a million points in high school, I think he canknock down a jumper or two...

Posted by: Lee26 | January 12, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I think he should be starting over Hayes. Gary finally got a premier player from MD to come to College Park, thank god!

Posted by: DMoney28 | January 12, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Personally I like the idea of him starting and Bowie coming off the bench to give an offensive spark...

Posted by: Lee26 | January 12, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The commentators compared him to Adrian Dantley, but to me he's much closer to Keith Booth, in that he does all the little things well and looks to be a decent (although not elite) scorer in the future.

Posted by: JamWhitt | January 12, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I've posted this on other Terrapin message boards so I'll say it again...when he's in the game I'm at ease. His basketball IQ is amazing for his young age and he'll go down (barring injuries) as one of the all-time great Terrapins. Mark it down.

Posted by: terpwiz | January 12, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I tend to agree with Terpwiz. I can't remember a freshman at MD playign this much and looking this good. Maybe Steve Blake? Maybe. I'm excited. I really hope MD can crack it's way into the dance this year because the future is finally looknig up in CP

Posted by: Lee26 | January 13, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse