Terps Get A Few More Votes ...

... but here's guessing Gary Williams isn't happy with the total. Maryland received 25 points in the Associated Press top 25 poll released about an hour ago. So for those of you who believe the Terps are close but not quite top 25 worthy (and at last check, 46 percent of you fall into that category, based on the results of this morning's Insider poll), congratulations. You and the AP voters are on the same page.

Also, Maryland received one vote in the Coaches Poll. I'll give you eight guesses who had the Terps on his ballot, but you should need only one.

I'll have reaction from Williams and a few players after tomorrow's media availability, as well as a scouting report on Morgan State.

Later this week, I'll unveil a rough plan for blog coverage once ACC season begins. Feel free to email me (yandas@washpost.com) with any suggestions for ways to improve the blog, as well as comments on what you have liked and not liked about the coverage so far.

By Steve Yanda  |  January 5, 2009; 4:19 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hot Spots And Stress Fractures
Next: Terps Count On Their Defense

Comments

Steve,

I was one of those who believed that MD was close but not quite 'top 25' worthy...until I saw the polls today with BC at 17th (AP poll) and 24th (Coaches poll).

Now, last year, MD did not make the top 25 even though we beat NC at UNC (just like BC did). If MD was not good enough to make the list last year (after beating UNC), then BC should not make it either.

I guess MD's non conference losses are seen as worse than BC's nonconference losses. Whatever!

MD should use this disparity as fuel for spanking Morgan State, GA Tech & Miami (yes, I said Miami) this next cpl of weeks.

Hmm, i wonder where that one UNC blogger is, now that his boys were beaten like they owed BC something.

Go Terps!

Posted by: de_11 | January 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather Maryland stay out of the Top 25 for awhile. This team has done enough so far in the season to give us all some hope, but has shown enough flaws to keep the fan base from expecting too much.

We all know this team, and Gary, are better with a chip on their shoulder. Let's watch them use this as a rallying cry to keep momentum heading into conference play.

Posted by: jrraley | January 5, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

id like to see maryland (and any/all other local teams) games appear on the Mens College Basketball section of the Today's Games (Scoreboard) on the WaPo Sports Homepage even when they are NOT ranked...

same goes for college football...ranked and local teams...not just ranked teams...

im with jrraley...my teams seem to play better when they are searching for respect...that goes for maryland bball and fball...we play better when we arent ranked...it also goes for the redskins...we played better in the weeks where everyone thought we sucked...i think the only local team that can play with respect is the caps...the ice breakers and goal shakers!!!

Posted by: deadskin | January 5, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

We need to worry about getting thru Jan and Feb and winning some conference games before we start getting all fussy about why we are not in anyone's top 25.

March - and it's Madness - is really all that matters right???

Posted by: skinsfanindallas | January 5, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with deadskin about seeing the local teams scores posted, even when they're unranked.

Posted by: seanbredbenner | January 5, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree with de_11, but that MD team last year had no heart and their loses were very painful and embarrassing, so the AP adn all, just gave them what they deserved, nothing! As for the UNC win last year, for one game MD played like a Gary team, plus Gary doesn't have those shiny recruits, like the Dukes or UNC, so he gets a raw deal, because his players (not as decorated coming out of high school as all those players on Duke or UNC's rosters), so if they play and win, it is seemed they played out of their heads! NOT right, but a very unfair assessment of AP and other writers and voters.
All I know is, this team this year is for real, just look at their Non-Conf games, Vermont will win their league and be in the NCAA, they beat Mich St. and Mich, will beat Duke or UNC once, probably finish 9-7 or 10-6 and winning a game or two in the ACC tourney, they should be in, because RPI wise, they will be in the thick as the year goes along and those teams they beat keep winning! I think, knowing the talent level isn't what Gary would want for a MD team, he is getting through to this team...his markings are all over it!
Just the other day my 12yr old, who loves basketball, we were talking about UNC and Duke, and I asked him what he thought of those teams (he loves MD because I do)....when he said they just win, I mentioned the talent level of their players and he thought for a minute and said they have all All-Americans, I said yep, they even recruit the All-American Waterboys, too (which we both cracked up)! That is it in a nut shell, Duke (thought a great team year in and year out) and UNC are SUPPOSE to win their games, because of all their All-Americans on their team....so, when they lose, it is like "what just happened?" and that look is on Roy Williams face and Coach K's face, I love it, because I guess your team, although All-Americans out the wos-zoo, you still lost! My final thought is ANYONE can coach 15 All-Americans and win at least 75% of their games....NOT many people can coach a bunch of players, maybe a few All-City or something, but not 15 All-Americans for sure - and win 50% of their games...Gary Williams gets type these players, his type players, and Sean Mosley seems like another Gary Type Player and he wins 75% of his games, AND he can win a National Championship! - NOT BAD for coaching the hardest of hardest type teams every year....remember ANYONE can coach 15 All-Americans year after year! I bet both Roy Williams and Coach K will say they coach their toughest game every time they play a MD squad, a Gary Williams coached team!

Finally, don't get me wrong, I would love to have a few more All-Americans every year to make it not so hard in making the NCAA, but sometimes the bad teams are just that...BAD, and last year was that!

Posted by: talbottj | January 5, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

To Terp Insider,
Keep us all up to date on the teams MD has beaten, like Vermont and Charlotte and Michigan, and how they are fairing, record wise in their own conf. Because in the end, for the NCAA's, it will matter how those teams are doing in the long run as well for MD's overall success...this year's schedule and those wins early, are quality wins in any teams resume! I am glad this year it will be on MD's NCAA resume!
Bring on the ACC, can't wait!

Posted by: talbottj | January 5, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

the thing about rankings, is they mean nothing in jan., since we have 7 more games versus ranked opponents we will have plenty of chances to get ranked. Our RPI is 28 which is great.we have played a lot of teams, 3 teams that were in the top 10 or close to it, when we played them early this season.That should help us later when the committee gets together.I said early this season to anynone who would listen,that 8-8 in ACC's should get us in the dance. so a good start was (is) essential. the main reason is that a brutal stretch after valentines day includes current #12 clemson on the road, followed by current #2 Duke,#3 UNC and #4 Wake in a row all at comcast.A relative breather AT NC State.Many teams would lose all of those games.if we can steal one or two of those games against top five teams and beat nc state and @ UVA to close out reg. season,plus play the others tough(i.e.not get blown out).we should be ok for March Madness.So we must get off to a fast start (no more than 1 loss) in jan. or we will face long odds in late feb early march.
as for suggestions, no more hclark1 posts,I hope he vanished sometime Sunday afternoon(good riddance hater).This is for TERP FANS.Otherwise updates on how past opps are doing would be cool.I think u are doing a great job.keep it up a go terps!

Posted by: toddwhite2004 | January 6, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with skinsfanindallas and toddwhite2004:

After the past few seasons I could care less about rankings. Get a respectable ACC record and get some Ws. That stretch of games Toddwhite2004 mentions is critical.

If they can do all that they'll have the good ranking by end of Feb and we'll also be in the Dance...

Posted by: mwr68 | January 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse