The Gary Williams Transcript

Hey, Eric here. I have gotten a few requests for the transcript of the Gary Williams locker room interview, so here it is. Jeff Barker and I talked to Gary in the locker room. Mike Wise joined midway through.

Q: Why did you sign the release for Gus Gilchrist?
Yeah, and here is why. He was going to leave. Signing the release had nothing to do with him leaving. He had made up his mind that he was going to leave. He had sat out that whole year. The word was that the NCAA had turned 16 appeals down in similar situations. So I was told he would have to sit out a whole year. In other words he could not be playing now. So why not sign a release and let him go where he wants? Why screw the kid more? Coming out of Virginia Tech, he thought he could play right away. Couldn’t play because of the ACC rule. What do I gain by him not playing? Why do I not sign the release? Why am I bad for signing the release?

Q: Why wasn't it your fault?
The reason it is not my fault is because he had made up his mind to leave before I signed the release. It’s not my fault that he left. So I signed the release. So what’s the complaint? I thought he was sitting out this whole year.

Q: Was it somebody else's call, as you said?
Why do they jump on me all the time? It’s somebody else’s call. It’s not my call. I wanted the kid to play here, of course I did. So it’s somebody else’s call. Who said the University of Maryland’s call? Nobody. You guys are usually accurate with your quotes. Let’s be accurate. Did I say the university of Maryland’s call? Signing the release had nothing to do with the issue, just look at it. They use things that aren’t the deal. The real deal is, why didn’t he play at Maryland? Whether I signed the release or not, this is just giving you stuff to make me look bad.

Q: Why did you have to stop recruiting Evans?
All the charges were fulfilled. He was charged with a misdemeanor. But what had been in the papers for two straight weeks was that you shouldn’t make that kid come into this situation here. As soon as he breathed wrong, it would have been tough on him.

Q: Why ultimately did he not end up here?
Because he would have had to go through so much just being a student on campus after what had been said in the papers. Everything got in there about his background and everything. I didn’t see anything in the paper, oh, well, I can’t say that.

Q: Was it your decision for him not to put him through that?
Yes, it was. Why is that wrong? See, you guys are called in. Were you called upstairs? Were you summoned to the athletic director’s office? Why would they call you? I have run a clean program for 20 years. Check my record. I ran a clean program at Ohio State. Check my record. American U. It would have been hard to cheat at American U. We didn’t have a gym. So what’s the purpose of this, to say he didn’t quite say it right. My heart is in the right place. I gave Gilchrist his release so, when it was all over, whenever the hell it would be, he could play. Whatever school, as long as it is not the ACC, I didn’t care. So he went to South Florida. He is playing. So, good for the kid.

Q: Do you get the support you need from the athletic department?
I don’t want to get into that now. No comment.

Q: There seems to be a kick ‘em while they are down approach around here lately …
Well, I mean, whatever it is, it is. That is for you guys to look at. But be fair, be fair. Kathy Worthington does not speak for me. She has never won a national championship. She has never done anything. She is an associate AD. She doesn’t speak for me. If you want to talk to me, I can’t talk to you day of the game at 3:30 in the afternoon, see.

Q: School officials told me what you said was not accurate.
I thought it was very accurate. I said Tyree Evans couldn’t come here because of all the publicity surrounding the issue. I never said anything about the school turning him down for admission. So where does she get off saying that? The kid never applied, how can he be turned down for admission. And Gilchrist, yeah, I signed the release, so what? I was told by the administration that there was no way he could play this year if he did transfer. So if he goes to UCLA, who cares? I was giving the kid a chance. What am i? What am I supposed to do? Not sign the release.

Q: She told me that she recommended that he stay.
He wasn’t going to stay. Do you get it? He was gone. He was gone. It’s bull---. So I signed the release. Because he was gone anyway, he was not going to be there.

Q: Is there a communication problem?
Take a look. Take a look. I coach here. I’ve got to live here. That’s the way it is. I have coached here for 20 years, long before anybody else was here. Nobody was here 20 years ago.

By Eric Prisbell  |  January 28, 2009; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crucial Misses
Next: An Up And Down Night For Vasquez

Comments

In other news, Gary Williams will be appearing with embattled Illinois governor, Rod Blagojevich, on a series of bizarre morning tv shows over the next week...

Posted by: BShea82 | January 28, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hang in there Gary! You've still got support out there...

Posted by: putnam23 | January 28, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The real question is why did Gilchrist want to transfer? That has never been made clear. He certainly must have known that he was in a position at Maryland to be an impact player in a major basketball program this year. At the end of last year, everyone knew that, with the departure of Gist and Osby, he was to be an essential part of this year's team. Yet he took a chance at being eligible and went elsewhere. It's not whether he was released or not, it's why he left. Who bears the responsibility for letting an in-house quality big man get away?

Posted by: weaselman | January 28, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Gary is taking a lot of crap and I feel for him. This guy has put his heart and soul into his alma mater for 20 years and now people are calling for his head, like it is all his fault.

He has made some mistakes in recruiting over the last 5-6 years, no doubt but, to say it is all his fault is completely unfair.

I applaud Gary for his handling of the Gilchrist and Evans situations. At the end of the day these are kids/young adults and they should not be put through the ringer for the sake of winning at all costs.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 28, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Why did Gilchrist want to transfer? Because he would have had to sit out an additional year, per ACC intra-conference transfer rules. MD appealed this several times (from a hardship angle, Gilcrhist left VT after the shootings), but was denied.

Go get 'em, Gary.

Posted by: eric_the_red | January 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Gus left because Maryland would not give Terrelle Woody a job, which S. Florida had not problem doing. He gets paid $30,000 at USF for doing such things as making sure the coachs' TVs are properly hooked up to DirectTV.

More info here:

Posted by: LECH51 | January 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Seriously Weaselman? If you don't have any idea what you are talking about, why post? Gilchrist couldn't play here this year. Obviously.

Posted by: juliusc91 | January 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I believe Gilchrist also gets 3 1/2 years at So. Florida, where he would have had only 2 1/2 years at Maryland.

But the kid has enough talent that he would have gone pro after 2 years anyway. The real reason was stated above...Gary wouldn't hire Woody.

Posted by: jrraley | January 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting the transcript. It allows the rest of us to interpret how adept you are at taking Gary's comments out of context.

So how much inside information did you guys get at your meeting with Yow's minion yesterday? Can you post the transcript of that too?

Posted by: maui6347 | January 28, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Handling difficult players is simple: if they don't want to play or are going to be a problem for you, let them go. Gilchrist and Evans were poisonous to this program. I would rather have a lousy team with a clean record than a winning program with a rap sheet a mile long. One thing I like about GW is that he has always run a clean program.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | January 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

As a 99 grad, I just want to point out that this is all very sad. What a great story Maryland basketball was in the Gary Williams Era, even up through the Drew Nicholas shot in the NCAA Tournament.

Now there are empty seats, angry administrators, and it's an era of negativity. I get enough of that as a Nats fan.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | January 28, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there Gary! I think it's ridiculous to see his comments taken out of context like that. When I saw the actual quote used by the Post, I knew something was fishy.

"Yeah, and it wasn't my fault that they're not here. You know, that was somebody else's call," Williams said.

I guess from that we were to conclude that he was talking about MD? Baloney. Anyone who had followed the recruitment and ups and downs of those two knew that their issues had to do with Gilchrist's handler and the public outcry that erupted when Evans recruitment was announced.

I don't understand why folks are stirring up more trouble. I feel like I'm reading about the Redskins. Quotes taken out of context and leaps in logic. This is sad. Who's next. Joe Gibbs left town again. Glenn Hanlon's gone (ok, well, that probably had nothing to do with anyone else). Eddie Jordan's gone. Jim Zorn was reportedly gone a few dozen times. Now, I guess they want Gary Williams. Will John Thompson III be next? Maybe I'm mis-reading all of this, but I'm tired of all of the negativity. The Wiz are horrible and I read positive things about them all of the time (like the one on Pech). I know GW is a bit gruff and it's tough to appreciate what he's done for the program (unless you've been here for the past 20 years), but I wouldn't want anyone else coaching this team. So what, he doesn't recruit the premadonas. I wouldn't want them. So what, he doesn't buy the handlers of these "big babies" by giving them jobs at the school. I don't want them. All he's done is run a consistently clean program and competitive program in the toughest basketball league in the country. They've missed the tournament X amount of times in the last 5 years. So what! Would I rather have them in the tournament. Sure. Would I rather do it at the risk of some NCAA recruiting violation (there are about 20 "top" programs I could name that have been flagged for these over the last decade)? No way. Let's give GW a bit of a break. I think he's earned it.

Posted by: charles20001 | January 28, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Charles20001....I would like to see the list of these 20 schools you are talking about. Also where are you getting the information from? Are any of them ACC schools?

Posted by: beas13 | January 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What you want Maryland Basketball to turn into VA Tech Football? Thugs and 'ner do wells constantly getting arrested or getting kicked out of the program.

I can only imagine the outcry then.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"Gary does not recruit the prima donna's and the 1 and done guys. People need to get over it. He runs a clean program, which has something to say about his character."

This is absurd. Steve Francis and Chris Wilcox? Those guys weren't four year guys. They were 1 and done guys. Gilchrist tried to be one and done. Vasquez tried to be one and done. And as far as prima donnas go, how about Caner-Medly, Gilchrist and Vasquez? Vasquez has talent, but he is a train wreck so far. His strutting for the camera? Cursing at MD students? Insulting a rival? He is a complete prima donna, and has the full support of Gary.

And what clean program? Caner-Medley was arrested, as was Garrison. Wilcox got into legal trouble after graduating. McCray and now Kim have been kicked off the team for grades. Gilchrist was a head case. Evans was arrested three times and Gary still tried to recruit him. This is not an example of clean programs. MD Basketball has the lowest graduation rate in the ACC. This is not a program concerned with the growth of the student-athlete. Sure, there have been no recruiting violations, but there is much more to having a classy program. And in those areas, MD is sadly deficient.

Posted by: BShea82 | January 28, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Sure. Actually, you can find them with a quick google search. The number was an estimate based upon memory, but a quick search revealed:

Ohio State, Minnesota, Kentucky, Oklahoma, UCLA, Kansas, Georgia, UVA, Texas A&M, Syracuse, Missouri, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Baylor, Fresno State, South Carolina, Arkansas, Arizona, Villinova, Auburn, Cal St., St. Johns.

You can also look them up on the "infractions" link on the NCAA webstite. You just have to go through the "News Release Archive" section. I'm not including them on the list, but Duke self-reported a minor infraction late last year. Besides UVA, I didn't come up with any other ACC schools.

The funny thing is that these teams get flagged and some get put on probation, but not a lot really happens. The teams still won and the alumni are happy. The fans in the area are happy. They made their NCAA appearances and everyone's pleased with themselves. Remember last year and Kelvin Sampson at Indiana? How some of the fans protested and wanted him to stay? No offense to the IU fans, but I hope that NEVER EVER happens here. Win, lose or draw, Gary runs a clean program and his kids have heart (for the most part). I remember what this program was like during the recruiting violations. I don't want this program to go back to that place. It wasn't pretty. The bottom line is that Gary is passionate, well-meaning, loved by most in the community (probably because he gives a lot of his salary back to the school or the community) and a good person. He's gruff, but that's what's so great about him. He's old school and I love it. More importantly, he's done a great job over the past twenty years. He won a National Championship -- just seven years ago. I think it's been eight for Coach K. In fact, there are only two other current head coaches in the ACC who have won National Championships. And, not to knock them, but how could they not with the "National Players" of the year and the superstars they had on those teams. Anyway, GW is a great coach. Let's give him a break.

Posted by: charles20001 | January 28, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Francis was a Jr college guy first off, so that is a different situation.

Wilcox was not originally a 1 and done (or his case 2 and done) until he decided to strike while the iron was hot after winning the National Championship.

Caner-Medley was college boy drunken stuff, so what.

McCray was a knucklehead for getting kicked off his senior year when he knew the rules. Your going to blame that on Gary?

Garrison is the only one that holds water IMO, because it involved a woman in a bar, if I remember correctly.

Gilchrist, drank his own Kool Aid after his great ACC Tourny. I think Gary dealt with him appropriately.

Gary has made some mistakes in recruiting, every coach does. But to say this program is not run clean is absurd.

The graduation rates do concern me. But, they are bad overall in college football and basketball.

Where is the call for the kids responsibility in this?

You're probably one of those fans who was calling him "the man" earlier in the decade when things were going great. But, now that things are rocky you jump ship.

Nice fan, very loyal.

This program was in worse shape 20 years ago, when Gary took over, then it is now. So relax, he will turn it around.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 28, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"So relax, he will turn it around."

You mean he will turn around the mess he created this time? Sure, he did good stuff for this program, but that is skewed. The program was ravaged by problems, so he took one of the worst situations in college basketball, made the team respectable, had two glory years (i.e. he rode the back of Juan Dixon), and has regressed. He made the mess he is in now, and there is no glory in that.

Does a good coach lose by 41 to a rival? Does a good coach lose to American and Morgan St in back to back years? Does a good coach lose a 20 point lead in the most important game of the season (Clemson). Does a good coach lose games after being up by 15-20 points (Miami, BC)? Does a good coach fail to have a point guard on his team (see Strawberry a few years ago)? Does a good coach fail to have a center on his team (see Dave Neal guarding Duke's center last week)?

The fact that you made excuses for all those players who screwed up under Gary's watch reveals much about your delusions concerning Gary. You give him all the credit when times are good, and no credit when times are bad. He recruited those players, and he made the judgement to bring them to MD. In your own words, Gary collected a college boy drunk, a knucklehead, a woman abuser, and a self-promoter. Is that good management? And what of Vasquez, who, though he has stayed out of trouble on the court, is a jerk on the court?

Graduation rates are low, but Maryland's rate is the lowest in the ACC, and has been for a decade. Where is the accountability? If a one or two guys weren't graduating, or being reckless off the court, we could overlook the coach. But after all of these issues, someone has to be held responsible.

Posted by: BShea82 | January 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I understood Gary's original comments about the Evans and Gilchrist departures as referring merely to it being their decisions to leave. I did not interpret them as an attack on the AD office. Ms. Wothington was totally out of line in addressing her interpretation of Gary's comments with the Sun rather than seeking clarification from Gary directly. I assume Debbie Yow is off attending to personal family matters and will not be pleased upon return to have to address Ms. Worthington's unprofessional and very public handling of the matter. Sure, Gary's follow up comments may have been a bit terse and even personal, but the AD's office is to blame for putting him in that position of responding to the AD's office inappropriate comments.

Posted by: johnsw2000 | January 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

To all the moronic ingrates,

You don't know what you have until it is gone. Two final fours including a championship. An ACC championship. Numerous wins #1 ranked teams, plus plenty more over top quality opponents.

I wouldn't trade Gary for that scumbag Calhoun and all his championships. Does anyone remember that Calhoun used sleazy tactics to lure Rudy Gay away from Maryland. Gary doesn't play that way. I am proud to be a fan of his teams, mistakes and all.

Coaches are dealing with young men who have spent years having their egos stoked by liars and sycophants. Many of these kids cannot deal with Gary's tough and honest approach to them. It's their loss. Gary is not perfect but who is. There is no coach I would rather be coaching the Terps.

If you don't like Gary, tough luck.

and if we lose him every Terp fan will be loosing something that he or she will regret.

Posted by: Turkoholic | January 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

BShea82,

You have some valid points and concerns.

But Gary's sucess at MD started well before the National Championship seaon. He took a program in tatters and quickly made it a perennial Tourny team in the 90's making 11 appearances in a row from 1994-2004.

He had a lot of success up until recently. You don't think he deserves the chance to turn it around?

He has made some recruiting mistakes, no doubt but, to blame him for everything like he was GW Bush, come on.

If you don't have enough talent, especially at the 4 and 5 position you are in trouble and you lose to mid-majors and blow leads, and get blown out. Period.

I can't defend that but, I do think he should be given the benefit of the doubt and a chance to turn it around. I think he has earned that.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 28, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

So how many more years does Gary deserve to "turn it around"? 10, 15, 20?

And to give Gary Williams all the accolades for the success of this program does a colossal disservice to the players, assistant coaches, athletic dept, and administration that made their own significant contribution.

That said, Gary Williams should not be primarily blamed for the lack of success lately. The administration has erred, some of the players have exhibited immaturity, assistant coaches have left, etc.

Gary Williams deserves a lot of credit for his contributions, but he should also be able to deal with the criticism. He seems to suffer from the delusion that he is singly responsible for turning the athletic department around. Gary Williams needs to address his own arrogance. He thinks he's bigger than the athletic department as well as the university.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | January 28, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

It's really a shame that the Terrapins haven't been able to recruit some solid recruits since the 2001 Championship Season. What's worse is that so many good players from the region are going elsewhere. Is that Gary's fault or the University's fault?

This is obviously a very sore topic for everyone. True Maryland Fans die a slow death when they watch the team self destruct as they have over the last two weeks. So many close games that they've dropped in the second half. And when they needed the intensity, it wasn't there.

When topics like this come about, it really does bring some solid points from everyone who contributes. We all can agree to disagree, but there are sone good points all around. I'd like to know why the good recruits won't go to Maryland anymore? Is it Gary or the AD?

Maryland truly needs help in the front court. They do have a 6-10 Freshman, but he hardly plays him. They sure could use some help.

All I can say, is if the UofMD AD or anyone associated with the AD is hurting Gary's recruiting efforts, then shame on them just wouldn't get it ! There's some other choice words I'd have for them given the opportunity. Gary's a great coach and he deserves better than to have the AD's Flavor of the Week screw him over!

My 2 Cents

JP

Posted by: cancunkng | January 28, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Again, I can't believe I'm in accord with eboock...I mean bshea82, whoever. Gary has a lot to answer for with the downward progression of the once proud men's basketball program. Call it an influx of bad seeds (NCM, Travis Garrison, John Gilchrist) blended with bad timing (DJ Strawberry's knee injury, Chris McCray's academic leave of absence) and a rotating door of assistant coaches (Dickerson, Patsos, Lonnegan, Michael Adams, and that dude from Charlotte)...enough drama that would fill a FULL-SEASON'S worth of episodes on the old hit-tv show w/ Craig T. Nelson "COACH." As for Gary "riding the back of Juan Dixon" for two glory years, you mean like JT did with Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson? As for the one-and-done guys like Francis and Wilcox (who was actually two-and-out), don't leave out JOE SMITH too...so Gary's gonna deny these or any other players a chance to improve their FINANCIAL STATUS in life? That's retarded logic if I've ever heard. Low graduation rates, sure that can be improved...but if I fathered a child and had a OPPORTUNITY to provide myself and them with a better condition of living by playing OVERSEAS, then yeagh college will take a backseat. As for the grads getting arrested AFTER they leave a program, why not point fingers at the USC football coach for OJ Simpson's behavior while you're at it? Again, retarded logic...but other point were valid.

Posted by: iamasofaking | January 28, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Eric Prisbell, who is usually more careful, and Steve Yanda have both engaged in a willful distortion of Gary Williams' comments in order to stir up controversy. This is plainly evident to anyone who has read the full transcript of Gary's comments. And it seems like most of those commenting on this blog see that.

Gary clearly meant that Gus Gilchrist made his own decision to leave. He never blamed the UMD athletic department, but yet Prisbell and Yanda took his comment and ran with it--knowing full well that they were distorting what Gary meant.

Eric Prisbell and Steve Yanda should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treated this story. That type of tabloid journalism is usually reserved for the Post's front page.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 28, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Bshea82. As a fellow alum, I couldn't have said it any better:

"At the end of the day, you are a Gary Williams fan. I am a Maryland Basketball supporter. I care what happens to my Alma Mater. I don't want to see it dragged down below mediocrity anymore. Gary Williams is not the worst coach in the country, but he is not good anymore, either. Maryland deserves better."

Posted by: terp04 | January 28, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Carmelo Anthony, Josh Boone, Levi Watkins, Tony Bethel, Marcus Ginyard, Sam Young, Donte Greene, Jermaine Dixon, Arinze Onuaku, Malcom Delaney, Terrence Jennings, Billy Edelin, Scottie Reynolds, Dante Cunningham, Gus Gilchrist, Keith Bogans, Joe Forte, Delonte West, Nolan Smith, Jeff Allen, Chris Wright, Austin Freeman, Darnell Dodson, Will Thomas, Joe Alexander, and Ty Lawson.

Anyone wanna take a guess as to what all these guys have in common?

Posted by: gaholtzman | January 28, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to include Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Michael Beasley, and Rudy Gay

Posted by: gaholtzman | January 28, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Um..Gee.. They are all African Americans?

Posted by: baloneyonwhite | January 28, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Joe Alexander is white so obviously you are an a**hole. The correct answer obviously is that every one of those guys grew up not too far from CP yet none of them chose to stay at home.

You can blame Gary, but it's not 100% his fault. It's a combo of everything that has been mentioned on this blog; Gary's failure to recruit hands-on, turnover with the assistants + the fact that the current assistants can't recruit...cough....Booth....cough, ridiculous standards for student-athletes which were set by the school's AD following the Bob wade era, etc.

The biggest cause for concern in my opinion is the fact that Gary and Debbie don't get along. Generally speaking, as a coach you'd prefer to have your AD on your side.

Get rid of Gary, don't get rid of Gary, whatever. As long as UMD has the aforementioned absurd admissions standards in place, MD won't be able to get the talent they need to do things like go to the NCAAT every year, win ACC championships, etc.

Posted by: gaholtzman | January 28, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

this is damn tough and a real bad situation. I enjoy the discussion of 'why doesn't Maryland get the great talent (anymore)' - MD has never pulled down routine star caliber players. Never have. Maybe, just ever so occasionally, one of those kids should wind up on campus but it's not like anything has changed in that regard. MD was ridiculed for recruiting Dixon, if you'll recall.
I am concerned by the recruiting- but mostly because it's been lumpy, (1 4yr senior last year, 1 this year, and wouldn't it be nice if Shane Walker had stayed) and that has hurt, rather than because the players are low quality (some kids won't pan out... as expected). How much of that is Williams' approach, the shake of fortunes or the result of the AD, I don't know.
What bothers me more is the years long habit of fades and blown leads. BC last night ... Clemson last year but also several late season games in the 3 years before that (each of those NIT years were fall from ahead seasons). That eats me more - this is a team / program that looks like it is mere plays - not players - away from being consistently upper echelon (with sparks of exceptional).

Posted by: damnpost1 | January 28, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Needless to say this rift has become very personal in nature and will cause either Gary Williams' retirement or Debbie Yow's untimely resignation.

This will be driven by a powerplay by both to determine which one wields more power and influence both in the athletic department and at the university.

In the end, this smells of a ploy by Gary Williams to try to get Yow removed. He feels no one can take him down because he is the walking embodiment of the University. It's a risky venture and I think he's going to lose this powerplay.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | January 28, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

For those of you criticizing Maryland's academic standards, you may want to know that the university now enjoys a top-notch repuation not only around the country but around the world.

The university, largely due to a decade-long campaign that tightened admissions requirements, etc, is now ranked between 30 and 50 in the world according to several surveys.

During this time,the athletic department as a whole has experienced unparalleled success, garnering national championships in several sports.

Coaches in other sports at the university have won multiple national championships with far less monetary support than Gary Williams receives on an annual basis.

So please stop blaming the admissions department for blowing 16-point leads!

We still have some dinosaurs left hanging about who want the university to admit anyone, whether they have raped, can't earn a 2.0 GPA, etc. These folks are hanging on to glory days (2002).

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | January 28, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't answer your stupid question the way you like so that makes me an a**hole. You must be a liberal.
Gary and Debbie don't get along, how profound! Where have you been the past 12 years?
Booth can't recruit? Ask Sean Mosely about that. Absurd admission standards, do you think this or do you know this?

Posted by: baloneyonwhite | January 29, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

It's not that you didn't answer the question the way I wanted you to, it's that you answered it incorrectly. Has nothing to do with politics, though I will say I am a conservative in case you were wondering.

The new development in the Gary/Debbie relationship, or in this case, their lack of a relationship, is Gary and his Associate AD engaging in a war of words this week. That makes it timely, relevant, what have you.

The harsh admissions standards you mocked me for mentioning are in fact real. Go read the book, "Tales From Cole Field House" by Paul McMullen.

Lastly, as far as I know, Mosley is the only player Keith Booth has been instrumental in helping bring in. If you can name me some other players I'd be open to taking that back.

Posted by: gaholtzman | January 29, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

So since I answered incorrectly, I am an a**hole, feel better? I am happy to hear your a conservative though.
You specifically said "in my opinion is the fact that Gary and Debbie don't get along.", no mention of rift with Worthington.
Booth was instrumental in James Padgett who is coming in next year, along with Jon. Graham, Taran Buie, C.J. Fair and other targets for 2010. He has only been there a few years so give the former Terps great a little slack.
I agree that UM has higher admission standards then most public schools and virtually all private schools so its frustrating to see Terrance Jennings et.al. commit to UM then leave when it looks like they may not get in. I would not call them absurd or harsh and the silver lining has been a clean program and respect nationwide for standards led by the Hall of Fame great Gary Williams.

Posted by: baloneyonwhite | January 29, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW since your a conservative please remember President Ronald Reagan's 11th commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of another Terp Fan."
Peace Brother Holtzman

Posted by: baloneyonwhite | January 29, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Touche re: Reagan's Commandment.

OK, maybe I should go easy on Booth and give him a few more years to prove himself. Maybe you're right, maybe over time he'll build a new bridge to Bmore and elsewhere. I hope he does, but you'll have to forgive me for being a little impatient.

I don't understand though, how Gary's other assistants including Driesell aren't doing a better job of recruiting locally-born players. God, did you see Malcom Delaney last night? Reminds me a lot of Dixon. Grew up near CP. I wish to God we landed him.

I appreciate the fact that Gary has run a clean program. I was too young to follow the Terps during the Bob Wade years, but I can imagine what the fallout from them was like. I understand why Gary makes doing things the right way a top priority. I just want Gary to start embracing the AAU scene a little more.

I understand his instincts aren't to go after every blue-chip out there, but if Jim Calhoun can do it (and stay out of trouble in the process. by the way, umd is such a more appealing place to play ball and go to school than uconn) then to quote the fans of the Philadelphia Phillies, "why can't us?"

Posted by: gaholtzman | January 30, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Everyone on this site has no idea whats happend in alot of these cases.Im a person who has been around Gary,Woody and Gilchrist.Gary is not telling the truth about what happend.Gilchrist signed an LOI with UMD he was told he could play in january of 08.Two weeks after he signed UMD coach Chuck Drisell told Gilchrist and his family that the ACC was having a vote on him being able to play in (JANUARY 08).After the meeting Drisell contacted the parents of Gilchrist and told them that not only could he not play in january but he would have to sit the whole year and lose a whole year with out playing. After Drisell informed them of this,Gilchrist and his parents asked out of the LOI.Drisell told the parents they could not let him out because Gilchrist had enrolled in a winter class.This was all a lie Gilchrist never had to signed another LOI because he had already signed one with V-Tech and UMD knew that.The reason they had him sign the LOI was because they also knew about the ACC rule.So they had him enrolled in this early winter class so they could tell him he was already in school(THE CLASS WAS ART).That was a lie Gilchrist was not bound to UMD until Regular class started.As time went on Woody and the Gilchrist family found out about the lies and how Gary and the UMD coaching staff trapped Gilchrist at the school.Thats why Gilchrist asked for his release and thats why Gary released him because Woody and the family knew all of this.It had nothing to do with a job for Woody that kid could have went to any school in the country and played.Its so much more to this story and Josh Barr of the post knows this but he continues to let Gary and the University of Maryland tell lies about these people.Gary should be terminated for what he took the Gilchrist family through.The NCAA did there investigation and found out the truth and gave him his time back.You poeple should stop trying to make GARY look like a saint he is not and poeple should be very careful about sending there kids to school there.Gus Gilchrist is a wonderful kid just ask poeple who knows him stop trying to make him out to be this bad person (THATS GARY WILLAMS).

Posted by: big99dog | February 3, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse