No Love For Duke In College Park

According to senior forward Dave Neal, who may or may not have been kidding, there is some sort of requirement that all incoming Maryland freshmen develop a seething hatred of all things Duke.

During a lighter portion of yesterday's media availability, Neal talked about how excited the team was to have a chance to play the Blue Devils again -- this time at Comcast Center, where a more favorable crowd can be expected.

"People don't hate UNC around here, but when Duke comes in here there's a big hatred against Duke in the state of Maryland," Neal said.

It would seem revenge is on the minds of the Terps these days. Duke beat Maryland by 41 in Durham earlier in the season, and the Terps are hoping their fans' energy can help stimulate a different result this time around.

"If you walk around campus, everyone's got those shirts that say, just, stuff about Duke," said Neal, trying his best to remain politically correct. "People just have a hatred for Duke in the state of Maryland. They've won some big games here. One of the biggest was when we were up by 10 with like a minute and something to go and they came back and won the game. Games like that that always come back to haunt Maryland. If you come to Maryland, even as a student, you know that you don't like Duke just because you're supposed to have a dislike for Duke when you're a student here."

Junior guard Greivis Vasquez concurred with Neal's assessment.

"Something else that's going to help is the whole campus hates Duke," Vasquez said. "So they'll all be fired up and that will help us to get into the game and go all crazy and play with a lot of emotion and a lot of passion."

Neal summed up the mood of the team thusly:

"I know us, in the lockerroom, there's a revenge out there that we want to put on them," he said. "We pretty much got humiliated last game, and we don't want that to happen again."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 25, 2009; 7:44 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching Up With The Blue Devils
Next: Terps Looking To Improve Offensive Showing

Comments

There are some fun things planned this evening to help welcome the visitors, courtesy the student section.

Posted by: Bradumd | February 25, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

The locus of my undying hatred for Duke is the 2001 Final Four game, where a tide of petty, biased foul calls dragged Duke back into a game Maryland had been winning handily. Next thing you know, they're the champions. (And next year, things were set aright.)

I think Maryland fans underhate UVA. I hate that state so much. The underhating is probably caused by the number of Maryland students who hail from out of town and have not had to deal with Virginia all their lives.

I look forward to admiring the student section's efforts this evening.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 25, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

How I miss my days in the student section at Cole and Comcast. I was lucky enough to be there at the height of MD basketball, the final four and the championship. The crowd tonight needs to bring the energy, even if the Terps fall behind. This game, if won, almost certainly puts our boys in the tourney.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 25, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Steve, were you torn between using the above headline or "Dog Bites Man"? ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Surely the professed haters on this blog don't really mean it? Hatred of Duke is misplaced and counterproductive. Perhaps we're acting on our class origins since most of us (at least in my day) could not afford anything but UMd or community colleges (they were inexpensive then). Acting like hooligans and blackguards will only provide Duke with incentive and resolve. Duke teams are worthy of respect. And bad behavior by UMd fans on national TV will make the University and the state look, well, bad too.

Posted by: AncientTerp | February 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Of course you are right, AncientTerp, but what can you expect from Barno, Lee and company.

They hate Maryland fans who disagree with them and don't have blinders on.

You must drink the Koolaid or they will place you in their pathetic "Hall of Shame."

Let's hope the classy Terps fans will show through tomorrow night.

That doesn't mean we can't be loud...loud...LOUD. It just means that we don't have to be crude and ugly.

Posted by: petecard | February 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand Duke but, I hate VA Tech even more.

Their alumni/fans are obnoxious. They think they are USC in football, even though they're overrated every year. Their basketball program is a joke but, yet they still talk smack. And to top it all off, their damn team colors are horrible and don't even match. Maroon and Orange? Yikes.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 25, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

You know Petecard and AncientTerp, I partially agree with you. I despise the way some Maryland fans have acted during Duke Maryland games, I also agree that Duke's record is worth of plaudits. However, and I say this not as a justification of vile behavior which should never be tolerated, but rather as a counterpoint to the tired cliche that Maryland fans are somehow the Philly fans of the NCAA, Duke fans are as vile as any fans out there. For all their posing of superiority, Maryland teams and other teams that have gone into Cameron have been exposed to some pretty nasty comments during games. Furthermore, when Duke players act in a manner that suggests they are somehow superior to Maryland or anyone else, I'm in favor of putting them in their place. I'd prefer that the fans remind the Duke players of the excellence of their football team, but some of the inventive cheers, not the profane, are a good way to root your team on. I don't hate Duke, I hate smugness. And right now Duke is expressing a great deal of that.

Posted by: pippsk | February 25, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Duke University - Where the privledged preppy pretentiousness of the Ivy League meets the 1820s equality and morals of the Deep South.

What's not to hate about that?

and Petecard today I call for a truce between us. You basically already agree with everything I said you didn't agree with last week so there is no reason for us to disagree anymore. Today Terps fans of all shapes and colors, optimists and pessimists, young and old, stats minded and guy minded, pro-Gary and anti-Gary, unite with one common cause: making Comcast louder than it has ever been. Revenge is on our minds and paybacks a Terp!

Posted by: Lee26 | February 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't endorse acting like a blackguard (great word to pull out, AncientTerp), but I do endorse hating Duke, inventively. The "F- you J.J." taunts, while cathartic, were embarrassing. I trust that the students of today have some more creative and incisive invective up their sleeves.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Yeah seriously. Taunting Dixon because he parents died of HIV related illnesses stemming from drug addiction? That's the opposite of class. I would rather my son or daughter (when I have them) owned and wore nothing but profane shirts for the rest of their lives than to be that classless.

Posted by: Lee26 | February 25, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Duke is the worst. Everything from their Satanic mascot to their sense of preppy white Deep South entitlement to Coach K's annoying mug reeks of evil and dislike.

I was a student when we still played in Cole. That was a great atmosphere - welcoming them into our dingy muggy fieldhouse where it seemed like asbestos hung in the air as long as our "Rock and Roll" remix chant.

I swelled with a sense of pride when I read an article in the WaPo years ago that mentioned how Duke players hated playing at MD more than any place else in the ACC b/c of the abuse heaped onto them.

Posted by: p1funk | February 25, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Lee, truce accepted and appreciated. We don't have to agree on everything, but we certainly can show respect.

pippsk and Lindemann your comments are right on target.

Let's outplay and outclass Duke. Loud, spirited and inventive....

Posted by: petecard | February 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

What bothers me is that I can't come up with a creative chant heard all the way down in Durham that lets them know that NOBODY win's 4 straight in our house the way Hansborough did in their high school gym.

Posted by: Lee26 | February 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Maryland is going to get waxed 2nit.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | February 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Maryland is going to get waxed 2nit.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | February 25, 2009 12:22 PM

You sound smart.

Posted by: Lee26 | February 25, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

2nit? is that an internet way of saying knit? are the blue devils gonna knit the terps to death?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 25, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Get a clue peterandmeredith. With Maryland's improved offense and active D they have clearly demonstrated at home against VT and UNC, if the Terrapins lose tonight it will not be by much.

Posted by: jake177 | February 25, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Maryland students hate Duke and UVa because none of them could get in to either school -- it's pure classism, lower class Md. kids hating on more intelligent, attractive UVa and Duke kids. P.S. Duke and Uva students and alumni don't even notice UMd....not even on the radar. College Park...bleck!
Sorry : )

Posted by: dbunkr | February 25, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd cut my kids off from everything if they ever even applied for acceptance at Duke

Posted by: LeviLevi | February 25, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

dbunkr - it is exactly comments like yours that causes MD students to have such distain for Puke and UVa grads/students. The holier than thou, pretentious, preppy attitude that exudes from every pore just reeks.

I'm a MD grad and damn proud of it.

Go Terps!!

Posted by: TerpGrad | February 25, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Md alum and therefore hate Duke. On the subject of vile behavior -- In 2002, with 1:30 left in the basketball game, the Maryland Alumni association calls me on the phone asking for a donation. Maybe it was a contractor or something, but what the #*^! were they thinking?

Posted by: Qwerty5 | February 25, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"...lower class Md. kids hating on more intelligent, attractive UVa and Duke kids..."

Intelligent? Sure, but I wouldn't call them ATTRACTIVE...at least not down in Tobacco Road.

Posted by: iamasofaking | February 25, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"dbunkr" -- quite an ironic name for you to choose because your actions validate the real reason a majority of people around the nation - from all walks of life - have a strong dislike for Duke. You as an individual are simply incapable of owning up to your own ignorance. In fact, you seem to wear as a badge of honor. Quite sad really.

Maryland and its sports teams are simply a primary focal point of the expression of the viewpoint of psychologically and emotionally healthy people everywhere. It gets a bit rough around the edges sometimes, but it is based on something quite legitimate. I think I speak for many when I say we hope one day you break out of your trance self delusion.

Posted by: jake177 | February 25, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Does it matter that the Duke-Maryland game doesn't mean too much in Durham? They save their energy for UNC, and even there it's not so much hate as mutual respect (for the school, the tradition, etc.). The only reason they pile on is because it seems to matter so much to the Maryland fans. Both sides behave childishly, but for what it's worth, the Duke kids are more or less playing a part to get your goat. Speaking as a Duke alum with several Maryland friends in the DC area, if I were you, I wouldn't give them (us) the satisfaction.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | February 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Does it matter that the Duke-Maryland game doesn't mean too much in Durham? They (we) save their (our) energy for UNC, and even there it's not so much hate as mutual respect (for the school, the tradition, etc.). The only reason they pile on is because it seems to matter so much to the Maryland fans. Both sides behave childishly (and HIV jokes are beneath contempt--there will be losers at either school who won't represent well), but for what it's worth, the Duke kids are more or less playing a part to get your goat. Speaking as a Duke alum with several Maryland friends in the DC area, if I were you, I wouldn't give them (us) the satisfaction.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | February 25, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 25, 2009 12:02 PM

Not sure how you figure all those students with Asian and Middle Eastern blood and kids from the Northeast have a sense of preppy white Deep South entitlement. Maybe some wannabe thug in the crowd will throw a bottle and hit one of the Duke players mothers in the head like they did with Carlos Boozers mother. Stay classy.

Posted by: bigtom34 | February 25, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Stay classy? Yeah, to repeat an earlier poster, what about the Duke kids taunting Juan Dixon by making comments about his parents dying from complications from HIV. Now THAT'S classy!

Posted by: CYork1 | February 25, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect DCUnited2, while I appreciate your tone and maturity, I think you are substantially understating the reality of what it means to Duke's fans, players and coaches. A victory may mean slightly less, but Duke's not infrequent losses in the series over the last decade clearly meant something quite real every single time. As it will tonight.

Posted by: jake177 | February 25, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Duke poses an even tougher matchup for the Terps than UNC. If Gary and this squad can pull this win off then I think they're over the hump and into the big dance. We'll see. This will be a tough game. But Gary's rallied the troops before against Duke. Let's do it again tonight!

^%$^%& Duke

Go Terps!

Posted by: Jaymand | February 25, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry : )

Posted by: dbunkr | February 25, 2009 1:33 PM

Sorry buddy. Didn't even apply. No point overpaying for those schools when I get a comparable undergrad education in-state at the UM Honors program.

...and if we're so far off the radar for people like you, then why'd you come on here to post?

Posted by: p1funk | February 25, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Duke wins. No contest.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | February 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

bigtom 34,

Hard to stay classy when you are a "wannabe thug". But thanks for reinforcing my point with your snooty condescension.

Posted by: p1funk | February 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

still laughing at the comment about Duke students being more "attractive" than Maryland students. There's no way you could have meant physically attractive, right? Cameron Indoor always looks like a leper colony.

Posted by: mofro | February 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Whenever WAPO prints a quote from Neil or Vasquez before a big game, UMd always looses BIG TIME...that's the kiss of death, seeing a Dave Neil quote...Duke by seven.

Posted by: iamasofaking | February 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Duke kids more attractive than Maryland kids? Go down there, look around, and talk to some of them. THEY don't even think that.

Duke University attracts some of the brightest young minds in the country, all of whom turn into insufferable turdbuckets when you put them near a basketball game. Some of my best friends went there; we just make it a point not to watch these games together.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice. Two accusations of Duke fans taunting Juan Dixon, with no proof whatsoever. The "crackhead parents" chant happened at UVa, not Duke, and for what it's worth was factually incorrect, because the Dixons were not crackheads. They were unfortunately Baltimore smack junkies. I give tons of credit to their kids for what they have accomplished.

Posted by: miken1984 | February 25, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Put the degree of Duke hatred compared to the rest of the ACC this way: if they win tonight, I'd bet there is some sort of riot or public demonstration. There always seemed to be while I was there 2003-07.

Posted by: mjsciann1 | February 25, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I dont care what any Duke alum says, Coach K has more hatred in this rivalry than anyone because from self experience behind closed doors he is not gracious in victory and defeat. At a game a few yrs back in Comcast, I was waiting in the tunnel after the game for a few folks. This is a game Duke won. Coach K happened to walk by me as he was heading back out to the floor to visit with fans/friends. I offered my hand in a congratulatory shake. He looked at my shirt and kept walking. So any Duke fan saying this game doesnt mean much to players, students, or fans is full of ish because it seems to mean a whole bunch to the coach.

Posted by: jperkmd82 | February 25, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize it was Coach K's job to shake hands with every Maryland loser that sticks a hand out at him. Probably the same hand that was dialing his number at the Greenbelt Marriott at 4 in the morning the night before.

Posted by: miken1984 | February 25, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

being gracious in victory and defeat is the sign of a true champion, and ultimately someone who is above the notion of rivalry and more about competition. that is something i learned from coach wootten long ago. to see someone like coach k, an ambassador of the game, to eye me up and forget that principle says a lot about his vested interest in the rivalry versus your thoughts of it being just another game.

Posted by: jperkmd82 | February 25, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Did he shake hands with Gary Williams, the Maryland assistants, the Maryland players? I'm sure he did. He didn't shake hands with you, whoever you are. Is that really a crime? I saw Gary Williams in Dewey a couple years ago and he didn't buy me a pizza.

Posted by: miken1984 | February 25, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

in defeat at cameron, he has avoided shaking gary's hand in the past, so dont go there. get your facst right before you post something like that.

he is not required to shake anyone's hand, though to turn one's head in disgust after WINNING when someone in the opposition is offering up congratulatory words and a gesture is nothing short of classless. comparing coach k's actions after a basketball game and some made up story of gary in dewey beach also speaks to the equal part in this rivalry duke fans have.

i dont have any more time to waste on this subject. believe what you want.

Posted by: jperkmd82 | February 25, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

It's ironic that your "sand in the vagina" attitude would have made you a great Duke basketball fan. It was a handshake. Get over it and stop crying in your O'Doul's.

Posted by: miken1984 | February 25, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry : )

Posted by: dbunkr | February 25, 2009 1:33 PM

Maybe, but you'll always be a nerd

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you don't even know what thread you're posting on.

Posted by: miken1984 | February 25, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

CYork1

That's f'ed up to say about anybody. It is also f'ed up to tell JJ Reddick you want to have sex with his 12 year old sister which some MD fans did.

p1funk

Yeah I know I am a Duke fan so I am snooty. You really hurt my feelings. Father and I are going to the yacht club later, maybe I will drink a white wine spritzer and talk about the stock market. Get a life.

Posted by: bigtom34 | February 26, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse