Williams & Neal: A Tag Team Effort

Following Saturday night's win over Virginia Tech, Gary Williams cited the leadership of Dave Neal -- the squad's lone senior -- as one reason why the Terps were able to prevail. Williams specifically pointed to Neal's efforts late in the game with the team's leading scorer, Greivis Vasquez, on the bench in foul trouble. Several players confirmed that Neal was particularly vocal on the court and during timeouts in his attempts to keep everyone focussed en route to their third win in four games.

Yesterday, Neal was asked about his role in guiding a relatively young squad through a contentious ACC schedule. Neal said his partnership with Williams makes his leadership responsibilities easier to handle.

"Everyone's staying composed," Neal said. "We've got a great coach who knows how to win these games here coming down the stretch. Between me and him, I think we'll be able to do a good job keeping the rest of the team composed and hopefully keep rolling on the run where on right now.

Wait, one reporter asked in jest, did Neal just compare himself to Williams?

"I didn't compare," Neal said with a smile, "but I said between the two of us, we're both pretty intelligent guys, we know the game real well. I mean, he knows a little bit more than I do, but he knows what it takes to win and I know what it takes to win, so I mean, we're going to try our best to get this team staying the way we are and keep playing extremely well."

By Steve Yanda  |  February 17, 2009; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Gary Williams Interview
Next: Terps Fall At Clemson, 93-64

Comments

Wonder how Neal is at recruiting?

Posted by: Watson1 | February 17, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

big game tonight...does anyone out there want this win tonight as bad as i do?

and im not talking about for our NCAA hopes...im talking a two words....i want this for some...

PAY (mother f'n) BACK!!!!

payback for last years loss that killed our ncaa hopes...payback for the year we lost to them 3 times including he opening game of the acc tourny in teh phone both...payback for all the lossed to clemson in the past 6 years that kept us from dancing...

not payback for maryland against clemson...i want payback from maryland to its fans...for letting us down against clemson...back when clemson wasnt even that good...this program owes us this win!!!

they owe it to themselves!!!

PAYBACK!!!

anyone feel me out there???

Posted by: deadskin | February 17, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I want a win. I don't really care about the motivation behind it - just score 1 more point than Clemson and I'll be all smiles!!!

Go TERPS!!!

Posted by: TerpGrad | February 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

anyone feel me out there???

Posted by: deadskin | February 17, 2009 2:28 PM

Yeah man. You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, I remember every one of those games you listed.

Up 20 on those clowns with just over 10 minutes go to...hold on to that lead and we're in the NCAA tournament last year.

Needing to win 1 ACC tournament game to get in the big dance, with essentially a home game at then-MCI Center. McCray comes out blazing from 3 point land and we're up big early. Then Gilchrist turns his ankle and our hopes lay with Sterling Ledbetter...no dice.

I wish I didn't remember that midget Terrell McIntire lighting us up back in the late 90s.

I wish I could forget losing to them 3 times in one year when they were the laughing stock of the ACC.

A win tonight would help me put those nightmares to rest.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

guess all the fair weather fans took off...

Posted by: deadskin | February 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

im here, and remember the awful losses. not sure what stings worse, last year up 10 or the first round exit from verizon. i remember UMD bought every ad in the Gallery Place metro with Fear the Turtle signs, then they lose in the first rd, in what was practically a home game.

So many reasons to win tonight.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 17, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's start this pesky 6 game murder stretch off right by seeing off Clemson.

Those losses still sting pretty bad, damnit.

Posted by: Colm1 | February 17, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

As bad as Maryland played tonight, if we hit 50% of our layups, we're right in the game. Problem is we missed about a dozen of them and not too many teams can recover from that. First half we got robbed by the phantom travel they called on a Vasquez bucket which would have tied the game, instead we're down 6 at halftime and it might as well have been over.

Saturday is almost a must win. Sad, but true.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse