Yow: Williams in No Danger

There was rampant speculation in the hours leading up to today's Maryland basketball news conference, but much of the speculation appears to be off-base.

Eric and Steve will have much more this afternoon, but for now, Eric reports that Athletic Director Debbie Yow said Williams' employment status is not at risk. For his part, Williams said he never believed his job was at risk and expressed excitement about the program's future.

"I really believe we can be a top 25 preseason team next season," Williams said.

Yow, who echoed the excitement over the future of the program with Williams in charge, said Williams has three and half years remaining on his contract and that if at any point he needed more that contract extended for recruiting purposes, she was open to the possibility. The two shook hands before Yow turned the news conference over to Williams.

Again, check back this afternoon for updates.

By Matthew Rennie  |  February 2, 2009; 2:18 PM ET
Categories:  Football , Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GW In Search Of Some Credit
Next: Comments From Yow And Williams

Comments

what?

WHAT?!?!?

Posted by: CharlieF | February 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Gary's been hanging out with Michael Phelps lately.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 2, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

If they sign Stephenson they will be. Losing only Dave Neal off what would end up being an 18-19 win team and a top 25 recruiting class. That's preseason top 25 material.

Posted by: Lee26 | February 2, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think so too, Gary. Why not? These guys are getting better all the time. Get Cliff Tucker some PT. The guy needs game time. He'll deliver. BTW, Born Ready is a pipe dream. He's not coming to Maryland.

Posted by: estockto | February 2, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You never know man, he saw a good game the other night and the crowd was going pretty good too. His boy is already signed and maybe he wants to run with him for one more year before he bolts for he NBA...

I like Cliff Tucker but he hasn't been brining what Moseley is bringing. I think he's gonna transfer if he doesn't start getting mroe run. From a numbers perspective (2 open scholarships for next year, 2 already committed) I wonder if that's already in the mix and that's why BR was at the game the other night...

Posted by: Lee26 | February 2, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh it wouldn't be the first time Gary convinced a committed recruit to opt out of his scholarship if there was a better player in the wings. I can think of several. In addition I am thinking Kim might still not be out of the woods on his eligibility issues. I read the other day he is barely academically eligible after the first semester right now. It wouldnt surprise me if one person on the team figures out they are not ACC material, and Tucker decides he is better than people that are getting run time and decides to go somewhere else. Any combination of these things will allow Gary to Bring in a top 20 stud if he desires to come here. I only hope we don't give up the future for a one and done guy. If you don't already have a top 15 team in place, that stud being here for one year doesn't help you.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | February 2, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

6 posts in a row without a Vazquez is a ball hog cry babay post. Damn. Sorry.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | February 2, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

That settles it for me...Yow has to go too.

Clearly they both think that making the NCAA (Not NIT) tournament once in 5 years is acceptable.

They just don't get it.

They suffer from the same disease that afflicts Notre Dame football. At least ND had a real history of success...more than 1 national championship.

Posted by: petecard | February 2, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Man I don't give a crap if he's one and done I just wanna be dancing again and having a hope and a dream we can make a little run. Plus if he likes it and we get a little Brooklyn pipeline going. That's not a bad thing either...

Posted by: Lee26 | February 2, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe that Debbie Yow is crazy. I do believe that she's aware that right now, this university (and most others) can't afford to be paying two basketball coaches in excess of $1.5 million each. So, Gary stays. If it gets to the point where Comcast is 1/2 full for conference games, she may change her mind sooner.

Posted by: jcyr4 | February 2, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

i'll take a one and done player too. if he makes that much of a difference, that give the Terps some exposure to other recruits, and potentially lead to better players.

the only thing about that is Gary refuses to hire any AAU coaches and thats where a good majority of good players are.

Posted by: pseto | February 2, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Neal is playing for the Terps is reason enough to get rid of Gary. Having to suffer through Will Bowers and Dave Neal is torture to the fans.

Extending his contract won't help with recruiting because he doesn't recruit.

Posted by: srobert1117 | February 2, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Gary don't need to RECRUIT...he's not a used-car salesman...he doesn't ANSWER to the fanz...the basketball program SELLS itself...there's no "I" in TEAM...Chuck Munice should be in the Hall of Fame...I'm not a Bruce Springsteen fan but that half-time show yesterday had me ROCKIN...he had me steppin' away from the GUACAMOLE and putin' down my CHICKEN FINGERS for twelve FUN-FILLED minutos...I like beer.

Posted by: iamasofaking | February 2, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

And how many of us have won a national championship? C'mon, it's not easy to do, even for proven programs, coaches & recruiters. Give him his 3 years, and if he's done, we'll know he's done. He knows he's going to have bring the program back before then if he wants to keep coaching.

Posted by: dhenken1 | February 2, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I never thought Maryland would replace Gary. I just thought they should.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but there's a recruiting problem at College Park. I frankly don't know what it is, but it's there. Your school is smack in the middle of one of the five best recruiting territories in the nation, you've got the nicest gym in the most prestigious conference, and you're still losing prime recruits to lesser programs? Not just the occasional one, either. You can fill the fingers of both hands.

Something rotten in Denmark, gang. Gary may not be solely responsible, but it's on his watch.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 2, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Coach Williams is one of the top five coaches in the country. Passion,loyalty and integrity towards his players and alma mater are traits he displays every day. A.D. Yow has done a fantastic job during her tenure. I commend her for guiding the program in a positive direction. I have no doubt Coach Williams will bring us back where we belong. I remember the Bob Wade era, do you?

Posted by: nsumduw4 | February 2, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Like you say, maybe Coach Williams will bring the team back to glory. He's a very adept coach. My question is, why don't people want to play for the guy?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 2, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Top 25 team NEXT SEASON???
Excuse me but isn't there still about half a season of conference play left THIS SEASON?
G-Will is really starting to lose it isn't he?

Posted by: dovelevine | February 2, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW are you telling me that that Worthington assistant to Yow acted on her own without Yow's knowledge? Yea right. Looks like Yow left someone alone to hang in the wind. Good one.
Ahh good times in College Park. Where's the old Vous when you need a stiff one.

Posted by: dovelevine | February 2, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charles20001 | February 2, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

what else is Yow going to say midseason? say they lost all of their remaining games. would she be held to today's opinion?

This IS next year! Get 'r done NOW or hit the highway!

(we will be just a terrible next year as we are this year, last year and the year before that.)

MUST win tomorrow to be 4-4 @ 1/2 way point. NO EXCUSES!

Posted by: terpcentral1 | February 2, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Gary Williams and Debbie Yow for putting a new coat of paint on their decade-long testy relationship. Once the window dressing erodes these two will be at each other's throat again.

We all know that Yow believes in frugality to the max. Another words, she's not going to buy out any contracts. Don't expect Friedgen to receive an extension either.

But once the contract is up, that's the end of the Williams era here.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | February 2, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

The people in this forum are getting overly excited about carefully crafted public comments by Yow and Williams.

This feud will recede out of the public limelight in order to give the appearance of order in a time of discontent.

Gary Williams will never be fired. He's too much of an icon here to suffer that fate. However, if he doesn't bring the program back to prominence in the next two years, he will not receive an extension.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | February 2, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"I hope this really lays to rest all of the rumors out there. Ridiculous really considering GW's record at MD. Before this recent skid, they'd made the NCAA tournament umpteen years in a row. When things hit a rough patch, everyone wants to jump ship. Ridiculous. NC State fans thought the same thing a few years ago. Look at them now. Kansas fans thought the same thing a few years ago, look at THEM now. I'm glad that the administration has chosen to block out the rumors. I can't wait until all the haters jump on the MD bandwagon. Go TERPS and GW!!"

Best post I have seen in two weeks. Thanks Charles.

Posted by: Lee26 | February 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse