Clips From Tobacco Road

Junior guard Greivis Vasquez drew the ire of many fans in attendance Sunday night when he sank a three-pointer at the buzzer -- with the Terps already up by eight points. But he apologized afterward for taking the shot and no bad blood appears to be lingering.

"You have to come to expect that from a guy like that," N.C. State forward Ben McCauley told the Charlotte Observer. "He plays with a lot of emotion."

As for tonight's opponent, No. 10 Wake Forest, the Burlington Times News reports that reserve guard Ishmal Smith has developed quite nicely into a supplementary role for star guard Jeff Teague.

"I trust his decision-making completely," Wake Forest Coach Dino Gaudio told the Times News. "He knows when to shoot and when to pass the ball."

According to the Winston-Salem Journal, Gaudio also has taken issue with ACC schedule-makers, who placed three games in six days for his Demon Deacons during the middle of the school's midterm exams.

Maryland, by the way, will be playing its third game in seven days, so the schedule hasn't been to forgiving to the Terps, either.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 3, 2009; 10:41 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scouting Wake Forest
Next: Three Questions

Comments

The Washington Post's resident child Steve Yanda refuses to correct multiple mistakes in his article today on Dave Neal.

RE: "He is shooting 32.3 percent from three-point range, third best on the team." -Steve Yanda

Actually, he is shooting 34.3 percent from three-point range, not 32.3 percent. And Neal is fourth best on the team, not third. I emailed Yanda last night but of course, the child ignored it and the mistakes are still there in the online version.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Stevie boy, I wonder why they don't put you on Comcast Sportsnet's Washington Post Live. Maybe because the show is for adults? Don't worry little buddy, once you get past puberty they might give you a shot on the air.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Pointing out errors is one thing. Childish name-calling is another entirely. It would be nice if there were no errors in reporting, but they happen.

That said, the cheap shots at Maryland's program and coach should really stop. I think it's very interesting that you wouldn't put the reporting effort into looking into rules violations Gary alleged but went after a minor rules violation BY UNDER ARMOR as if it was something wrong with the program.

Really, which is it -- Gary is a clean coach who refuses to play ball and that's why Maryland is not recruiting big name players OR Maryland is dirty and Under Armor is engaged in improper inducement on Maryland's behalf?

At least Gary had the decency to make allegations off-the-record and leave it to the Post to make any of the allegations public. A player going to a school that paid $450,000 to hire a coach of his sounds much dirtier than a player touring a facility for making athletic equipment.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just a fan and obviously in the tank for Maryland. That's one thing we can count on from the Post: all of their sportswriters seem to be hostile to local teams and looking to embarrass and insult them.

And one other thing -- Dave Neal is everything you described. Ever wonder how somebody becomes that kind of senior leader? I think it might have something to do with coaching -- but that doesn't fit the "Gary's done" storyline, does it?

Posted by: jjhare | March 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Barno attacks anyone who offers opinions that have not been laced with the Koolaid.

He wants everyone else, including the two writers of The Insider to be kicked off the blog.

What's funny is that he and his henchmen would do everyone a big favor by staying off the blog themselves. If they had their own blog NO ONE but they would read it.

Barno we put up with you for at least two reasons:

1. You are a harmless fool and its makes us feel better about ourselves knowing we are so different.

2. You remind us daily of the value of free speech and the danger of fascism.

Most of us are probably glad we won't ever have to meet you.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Barno we put up with you for at least two reasons:

2. You remind us daily of the value of free speech and the danger of fascism.

Most of us are probably glad we won't ever have to meet you.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 12:22 PM
----------------------------

Mister Petecard,

What I refuse to support is the manufactoring of stories. I have found the blogging (or reporting, if you'd like to call it that) to be irresponsible. Irresponsible behavior has consequences. The consequences of the Insider can include, but are not limited to, a high-level recruit attending school elsewhere, distractions to our men's basketball season and embarassment to the University as a whole. The Insider has claimed not only Gary's job was in jeopardy, but that individuals and/or companies related to the University are involved in improprieties. These claims have been exposed as merely speculation and in the case of Mr. Williams, to have no merit.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Petecard,

You have demonstrated time after time your complete and utter stupidity, it's pretty hard to fathom how you even know how to operate a computer, much less formulate complete sentences.

You claim I want "both writers kicked off the blog." You are so clueless it's just beyond comical at this point. There is probably no other Washington Post reader who has appreciated Eric Prisbell's reporting over the past 5 years more than I have. He knows this, and we both greatly respect each other's opinion on all matters regarding the Terps--as both he and I have stated repeatedly right here on the blog.

Sure we do disagree on the recent tone of the coverage, and disagree on there being an issue with Gary Williams' recruiting, but on nearly every other Terps basketball and football related issue, we see eye to eye.

As for your continued misuse of the "Koolaid (sic)" phrase, I suggest you google the Jonestown Tragedy you unbelievable moron.

And as for your insinuating that I'm a "fascist" for wanting the Post to back off the attacks on Gary Williams, you could not possibly demonstrate how big of an imbecile you are than you just did. It's downright pitiful at this point.

Oh and Petecard, why aren't you demanding we fire Gary Williams anymore??

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

fushezzi: "It is not Koolaid I'm drinking Pete, its the juices of justice. Free speech is one thing. Baseless accusations and rumor-starting seem to be the norm nowadays. But that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean a nationally reknown newspaper should continue to sponsor such actions. I'm not asking for any firings. I'm asking for responsible journalism and being held accountable for what you write and say, especially in a public forum. That, my friend, is what is lacking here. "

Well said. I don't particularly agree with it, but it's clearly put.

The thing is, I don't see the bias or the irresponsible reporting of which you complain.

And what seems so obvious to you, is not at all obvious to me. From my view, it looks like the Post has been bending over backwards to be fair to the UM program.

Take the first recruiting story. They were willing to listen to accusations (most unsubstantiated, even if accurate) of unfair practices by coaches like Jim Calhoun and b-ball figures like Curtis Malone. They didn't have to do that; they could just have described them as unsubstantiated and moved on. Instead, they made Gary look more honest than his competition.

Second, would you have them ignore the UnderArmour issue? I can vouch for how much trouble a school can get in as a result of well-intentioned boosters. Maryland hasn't had much of that yet, but a number of other schools have. I've seen it, and it isn't pretty.

Guys like Prisbell take their careers in their hands by writing articles critical of a popular local coach. Pretty soon people are disparaging their ancestry and probably their manhood. I appreciate that you aren't doing that.

Still, I suspect this issue will turn out to be like accusations of political bias in the media. A major study done in 08 concluded that supporters of conservative candidates are especially attuned to any suggestion of bias towards conservatism in the popular media. Not surprisingly, exactly the reverse is true of those who support liberal causes. The bias may be in the mediam, but more importantly, it's inside us.

What's the Burns line, from his poem (I kid you not) "To A Louse'?

"O would some power the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us!"

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Samson,

You make the right argument but to the wrong person. Barno totally misrepresents his philosophy and his behavior on this blog.

He says:

"If this "henchman" could please speak. First, call me a koolaid drinker all you want. I'm a UMD alum. I have had insight into the UMD athletic department and basketball program that most students and/or fans have not. I support my team during its ups and downs."

Well, many of us are alums. We support our team, but we want the program to be better than it is now and than it has been since Gary won "his" championship.

Barno does not understand that we have been in an extended "down." Maybe we will make the NCAA this year (that would be great) and maybe we won't. That is the way it has been since the championship year. If we miss this year it will be 4 out of 5. Even if we make it, that is NOT the benchmark we should have for our program.

Barno clearly doesn't comprehend the Koolaid reference. It precisely reflects what happened at Jamestown ( a very sad story). That is that blind faith followers went all the way to their deaths to support their "leader." The metaphor, "Koolaid drinkers" has been used time and time again to describe blind followers of a cult. That is exactly what Barno wants this blog to be. But he simply doesn't get it.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

He says:

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 2:18 PM

To quote Jim Calhoun: You're not really that stupid are you?

Petey boy, I did not say any of the above things. You quoted Fushezzi, and attributed the quotes to me. I seem to recall Petey boy complaining about quotes being taken out of context--and here he goes attributing false quotes to me out of thin air.

My name Petecard and me not smart.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

C'mon all of you FOG's, let's hear about how the Terps are still going to get to 8-8 and then win one or two in the ACC.

Don't bother to make your MSG reservations. They won't get that far in the NIT.

Posted by: petecard | February 18, 2009 11:05 AM

Why not just deal with the bottom line: We are going to miss the tournament this year for the 4th time in 5 years.

Unacceptable.

Gary's responsibility.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2009 10:32 AM

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

That quote was wrong. Point taken.

Nothing else in my commentary was.

Your habit of posting quotes and trashing the commentator is demonstrated once again by your response.

I am rooting for the Terps to make the tournament. I have my doubts. That must make me a heathen.

But don't tell me, Barno, that you aren't drinking the Koolaid....you're making it and serving it.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Petecard,

From 1993-present, the Gary Williams led Maryland Terps have been to the NCAA's 12 out of the past 15 years. The three years they did not make the tournament they had 19 wins and in 05-06 they were left out despite a .500 conference record which is unheard of. So, in my opinion, we should have been in the tournament 15 straight years. Alas, we only went 12 out of 14, including 5 Sweet 16's, 1 Final 4 and 1 National Championship.

You claim "that is NOT the benchmark we should have for our program."

Speak for yourself Pete. Those numbers speak for themselves and are indeed the bench mark I want for my University.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Eric Plank is an unusual sort of booster, but he's a booster all the same. The profile: an alum who's been wildly successful in business and wants to 'help' his former school reach the heights of Div I success. Plank's different in that he's fairly young and actually played football at Maryland, but otherwise fits the profile. Boosters can create immense problems for a university with the NCAA without hardly trying. There's nothing that makes those investigators more uneasy than the shadowy presence of somebody with the money to buy almost anything they want. There may be nothing to it, but NCAA types get suspicious real easy. The U winds up having to prove innocence -- always an uncomfortable spot.

Fanz thinks mainly in terms of what they want (Lance Stephenson) and boosters, after all, are fans. They don't always think about the rat's maze of regulations that colleges are expected to live under. Maybe the Post was premature in bringing UnderArmour's involvement to the fore, or maybe not. Who knows what we haven't yet discovered? All I know is, at the moment it looks like a minor violation, if any. But left alone, it could have grown into something serious.

So I'm not down on the media for exposing the suspicious side of college sports. I think it tends to help keep things honest, in light of a whole array of factors pushing the other direction.

So it's uncomfortable for the beloved Terps. Might help save much worse pain down the road. That's assuming it stops right now.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

64 teams make the tournament. It should be the most basic expectation.

If we miss this year, we will have missed 4 out of 5. That is what our program has produced since Gary won the national championship.

Gary has a fine record over his career and Maryland should always honor his accomplishments.

But he does NOT have tenure. His record over the past 5 years has not been good. I has been mediocre.

We need better than mediocre.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Petecard, how many Terps games have you attended this year? Oh that's right, you don't attend Maryland basketball games...I forgot. Maybe if you did, you'd see how Gary Williams is greeted by nearly 18,000 people at every game. Standing room only when Gary enters the floor, always the loudest applause of the night. The elderly who can barely stand up, get up and out of their seats for this man. Been that way for 20 years. Maybe you ought to ask yourself why that is.

The fact is, all fans are not created equal. Some support their team, their players, and their coach thru good times and bad. Others go on blogs and demand the firing of the most important athletic figure in the school's history after the team loses a game.

We are not "all fans" here. Fusheezi is a fan. Barno is a fan. Samson, who I don't always agree with, is still a great fan in my book. But when you call for Gary Williams's firing, when you repeatedly give up on the season midway through conference play, when you bash the recruiting, the coach, and the players, you are letting it be known that you are NOT a real Terps fan.

So, Mr. Petecard, much as you'd like to believe otherwise, the fact is you are not a real fan of the Maryland Terps. Plain and simple. Why you are still here, is beyond me.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Plank is a business man. He wants Stephenson in Under Armor shoes. He then wants to continue branding UA as the new and improved "And1" hip brand that all the kids want instead of Nikes "Jordans". If he was wearing them and went to Maryland that would be a bonus. He gives money to his alma mater but the tour of the facility was to get him on the UA team not the UMD team. That's one of the many problems with the story that have led to the hostility on the blog...

On to tonights game. I hope Comcasst is rocking and I hope my game at 8 doesn't go into overtime so I don't miss a second of the tourney clinching win. Let's go Terps!

Posted by: Lee26 | March 3, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Wake Forest, Terps...tonight in College Park.

THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!

THISSS IS WHERE THEY DIE!

TERRAPINS--WHAT IS OUR PROFESSION?

HOW-OOOH, HOW-OOOH, HOW-OOOH!

Posted by: BurgundyAndGold | March 3, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

lee26: "Plank is a business man. He wants Stephenson in Under Armor shoes. He then wants to continue branding UA as the new and improved "And1" hip brand that all the kids want instead of Nikes "Jordans". If he was wearing them and went to Maryland that would be a bonus. He gives money to his alma mater but the tour of the facility was to get him on the UA team not the UMD team."

See, I'm thinking that's too many agendas right there. You're portraying it in the most favorable light, and all I can see are potential conflicts. I wonder how Debbie Yow feels about it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

You don't know me...thank God. I have been to plenty of games. Cheering for Gary when he walks out is great.

Your idea of a "real fan" is my idea of a member of the Koolaid Drinkers Hall of Mediocrity Bliss.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!

Terps 76 WFU 71

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Cheering for Gary when he walks out is great.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 3:35 PM

Don't bother to make your MSG reservations. They won't get that far in the NIT.

Posted by: petecard | February 18, 2009 11:05 AM

Unacceptable.

Gary's responsibility.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2009 10:32 AM

Cheering for Gary when he walks out is great.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 3:35 PM

Right now we have a mediocre program.

The FOG's think Gary should be able to write his own ticket.

Posted by: petecard | March 1, 2009 10:22 AM

Unacceptable.

Gary's responsibility.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2009 10:32 AM

Cheering for Gary when he walks out is great.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 3:35 PM

If the Terps win any two of their last three and at least one in the ACC Tournament that MAY be enough.

Posted by: petecard | February 27, 2009 8:53 AM

making the NCAA is not a worthy goal in and of itself

Posted by: petecard | February 28, 2009 12:17 PM

Cheering for Gary when he walks out is great.

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 3:35 PM

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Dang. I really don't understand. Back when Gary first arrived here and they were in the depths of hell and NCAA sanctions, I rooted for Walt Williams. MD FOUGHT!!! They competed and clawed. I cheered them on as they lost to Duke over and over again.

Gary Came to MD during the sanctions. And he got his teams to COMPETE...

Then there was M&M massenburg and Mustaf and McLinton (Go Springbrook)...

He got them to compete. Then I got Keith Booth's autograph at the Union. and Ran into Duane Simpkins, and saw Johnny Rhodes at Marathon Deli... That team Competed and started Winning... Go Joe.

And then I was watching the other day BIG TEN CHANNEL and they had GREATEST GAMES OF BIG TEN. it had Maryland against Wisconsin. Blake, Dixon, LB, Moutton, Danny Miller, Taj, T MO.... i dare say, not many of those players were heralded. But that was ONE FINE TUNED OFFENSE... that team could play... i really think Blake is one of MD's Greatest Of All TIME!!! they had great balance inside out, and everything going for them.

if it weren't for some questionable calls against Duke, i think they win 2 in a row... up 22, and they say battier's block on LB was a good one... Kornheiser himself said that was the biggest no call in the world EVER... They really should have REFERREE evaluation for NCAA... REFEREES should be held accountable for turning games around with horrendous calls...

And then, they get some more high profile players but they don't pan out too well... BUT GARY GOT HIS PLAYERS, and let others go because he didn't need them. HE GOT HIS PLAYERS... HE GOT THEM TO COMPETE. BUT IT's THE PLAYERS THAT HAVE TO EXCUTE and PUT BALL IN BASKET AND REBOUND AND DEFEND... and GOTO CLASS and be healthy. those things didn't turn out too well...

Who knows why Gay ended up at Uconn. all i am saying is, Where is the school pride? have u forgotten that Gary took us to the promise land? they were in the depths of hell and are now competing every year for the best players and NCAA tourney. that is a lot better than those early 90's when he first came.

Forget about the rest... They win a coupld from this point on, and we are talking march madness again... let's have some SCHOOL PRIDE... we are not DUKE's or UNC's or whatever... we are MD. and Gary will get his teams to compete like they have been doing.

GO TERPS!!!

Posted by: doeshin | March 3, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The above post was purely meant to demonstrate we have a nutcase among us. He goes by the name Petecard, and he takes many forms. Sometimes he loves Gary Williams, sometimes he wants Gary Williams fired. Sometimes he is angry we are going to miss the NCAA tournament, other times making the NCAA tournament is not a worthy goal. C'mon nutcase, let's hear about how I took your quotes out of context and how I'm a fascist.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doeshin | March 3, 2009 3:55 PM

Great post. I remember that one well. Bo Ryan had to call a timeout faster than any coach in history, less than one minute into the game. I believe we won that one 75-60...

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And, I am not sure but I have the feeling, if they did replace Gary. Any of you actually believe the program will get better? hmmm... Really? Hmmm....

Posted by: doeshin | March 3, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

There might not be any "bad blood" right now, but that last second three against NCState Sunday night could really come back to haunt the Terps. As it stands right now, they would match up against the Wolfpack in the 1st round of the ACC Tourney, and a team that was playing pretty well up to Sunday doesn't need any extra motivation against the Terps who might need a victory in Atlanta to secure a NCAA birth.

The lip service has been played to the shot by players, coaches, and the media, but I guarantee if the Terps end up matched up with State next week in Atlanta, that shot could come back to bite the Terps.

Posted by: Russtinator | March 3, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Russ,

All do respect, but I doubt the Wolfpack need a meaningless, last second three by Vasquez to fire them up for an ACC tournament game.

Vasquez is an irritating player. He irritates other teams with his play and his emotion when he's on. He irritates me with his play and emotion when he's off.

After three years in the ACC, I'm sure they all know this about him.

In closing, the three pointer is moot.

That is all, carry on....

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Cmon, Russ, show some school pride...

Take a sip of this Koolaid...it's right here.

Barno and Gary just whipped this batch up.

You'll like it!

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

If Barno is drinking Koolaid does that mean Petecard is drinking Haterade?

Posted by: fushezzi | March 3, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

So what's your plan Petecard, it mostly seems as follows:

1. Fire Gary
2. ?
3. National Championship

You're right, let's stop drinking the coolaid and fire Gary. Then we'll replace him with someone who's going to struggle in the beginning and you'll start complaining again and we'll fire them too. Or how about we start appreciating the efforts of our Hall of Fame coach and realize that he's the person most likely to keep the team competitive and get us back to winning games in the tournament.

Posted by: andreic | March 3, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who reads Petecard's ramblings can see he suffers from schizophrenia. Hopefully the guy gets himself some help instead of wasting time on this blog.

Posted by: mike761 | March 3, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Ah the internet, where people can anonymously call each other names and act like children. Can we keep the negative comments to the stories or bloggers as opposed to getting so personal!

Let's focus on us kicking Wake's A$$!!

Posted by: bmdugan | March 3, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse