Gregory's Big Putback Fueled Terps

With just less than five minutes remaining yesterday against California, Dino Gregory snagged a rebound off Eric Hayes's missed shot in midair and slammed it back for a dunk that shook the stanchion, brought the crowd to its feet and extended Maryland's lead to 15 points.

Gregory made several "energy plays," as one teammate called them, during Maryland's win over California. He dived out of bounds to preserve a Maryland possession, and drew several charges. But the putback dunk topped the list.

"That's got to be top 10" play, Greivis Vasquez said.

"That was incredible," Adrian Bowie said. "I’ve never seen anything like that in a game."

"That one putback was huge and it just showed his athleticism, because that ball was down low and he brought it up pretty good and slammed it," Dave Neal said.

Indeed, the dunk's degree of difficulty was heightened by the fact Gregory had to reach down near his waist in mid-air and then pump the ball back through the net. The truth is, Gregory said, he wasn't trying to dunk the ball at all.

"The ball came off the rim, and I kind of caught it down here," Gregory said, moving his hands down toward his waist. "I was going to try to tip it back in with my hands over the rim, but I just dunked it. I wasn’t trying to dunk it. I was trying to tip it back in."

The crowd seemed okay with how it turned out, as did Gregory's teammates. It certainly seemed to further deflate the Golden Bears.

What did you all think?

By Steve Yanda  |  March 20, 2009; 1:04 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Slowing Down 'That Little Guy'
Next: Vasquez: 'They Don't Have Tough Games'

Comments

I can play this game too Barno.

barno, would you quit spamming the blog with old posts? anybody who's reading this blog knows that petecard can't tell basketball from basket weaving & that poopy will say anything he thinks can draw a reaction. if your whole point is to be as annoying as they are, you are succeeding.

if you don't have anything useful to say, do us all a favor and say nothing.

Posted by: rm0659 | March 19, 2009 10:59 PM
----------------------------------------

Hey barno1 I get your point but hey man leave a little room for the fans too!

Posted by: chrisoarr | March 20, 2009 4:40 AM
----------------------------------------

Barno, I think we all got your point a long time ago. It was clever for a while but enough is enough.

Posted by: erniegogo | March 20, 2009 6:28 AM
---------------------------------------

I've begun looking first at the poster name and skipping the post if the author is Barno1. It saves a lot of time and I don't miss anything. Unless Barno1 posts something substantive, which seems to be rarer and rarer.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 20, 2009 8:37 AM
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

So sad. Instead of actually sitting back and enjoying the Terps win (like I did) Barno decided to hop online and go through old posts and then repost said posts to really stick it to the "anti-UMD" people. Talk about sad. It's fairly evident, outside of UMD sports, Barno has no life.

I can just imagine Barno sitting their with his tinfoil hat on, smirking as he copies/pastes old posts into 1-long-gigantic post. The whole time he's thinking:

"This will really show those fools who is a true terps fan. I'm the biggest/best Terps fan ever! This'll make me so much more popular on an internet blog to those who follow the same line of thinking I do. I'm so awesome."

You're quite the character Barno, keep it up big guy.

hahahahhahahahhahahahahahahaha

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Poopy McPoop, for a guy with a handle I find kind of funny you really arent' very funny. You try though, which I guess has it's merits. Perhaps you should watch more Chapelle Show and less Mind of Mencia and you might pick up a few things.

Posted by: Lee26 | March 20, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually I watch Drake and Josh.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dino's energy plays were all sweet. Now comes the game where the whole team is playing with House money and maxes out. Maryland 85, Memphis 78.

Posted by: jake177 | March 20, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I say Maryland over Pitt in the championship.

Maryland - 120 pts
Pitt - 68 pts

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I think I speak for most of the people on the Terps Insider when I say that no one is taking anything you say seriously Poopy. You're like a little child who is so desperate for attention he will say anything to get a reaction. Go do some more acid tough guy, since you claim you love it so much.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

For the record, Barno was at the bar all day with fellow Terps Insiders Fushezzi, Putnam, Jpfterps, H1Dynasty and the Ape, enjoying the hell out of that game. While Poopy McPoop was at home figuring out ways to instigate Terps fans on the internet. Beat it Poopy McNerd.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

if i remember correctly...the last time we played memphis...we literally ran them out of the building...it was some big preseason tourney or single game...james gists first year and i think it was on the heels of our big acc tourny win...so with that two year class that had all the expectations to get us back to the final four...after that game i remember thinking...this is where our program solidifies our position in the top tier of storried college programs...

well that was pretty much the last time i felt anything like that being a terps fan...things have pretty much fallen apart since...its been one disappointment after another just about since...

well now we face memphis again 5 years later in what i look at as what could be the point of redefining the path our program is on. win here and make a statement that we're back...

either way...great season in the end...gw has a us in position to return to the upper crust of the acc and the ncaa next season and into the foreseeable future...

we should be solid next year...

but a win tomorrow really makes the statement...

WE'RE BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

and maybe says to that prized recruit, hey MD can compete for a championship too!!!

Posted by: deadskin | March 20, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Deadskin, Agree on all points except that we've completely fallen apart since then. We had a 25 win season just 2 years ago. But you're right, that was a great point in MD basketball the night we demolished Memphis on the early part of the 04 season. Everyone had us in the final four that year, then Strawberry got hurt, the agents got inside Gilchrist's head, and the rest is history.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 3:39 PM

I thought barno said he was going to see the game live and in person since he was super-fan #1.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

didn't say that. Stop being weird Poop.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse