Henderson-Niles: 'We Shut Him Up Real Fast'

Just got out of the Memphis locker room, where I talked with Pierre Henderson-Niles and others:

“We just beat them by 20 something points, so we shut him up real fast,” Henderson-Niles said. “Whatever he said, we just came out and played and proved it on the court.”

He said Coach John Calipari tried to tell the fans to be quiet and not chant “ACC! ACC!”

“When I saw Maryland in the past on TV, they looked good, but we just showed them what Conference USA was about,” Henderson-Niles said.

“I think we would be one or two” in the ACC, Henderson-Niles said. “We would not have no losing record.”

Roburt Sallie did not hear what Greivis Vasquez said to draw a technical foul.

Tyreke Evans could not recall who started off guarding him and said there was really no difference throughout the game because he just kept trying to drive on his defender.

When asked about Vasquez’s comments being a smart that got Memphis going, Doneal Mack said: “I think it was. We have been overcoming obstacles all year. Him saying that made it harder for them.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  March 21, 2009; 6:04 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Memphis Not Playing like a .500 ACC Team
Next: Terps Season Ends With 89-70 Loss To Memphis

Comments

What a total rip-off. Those refs practically handed Memphis the win right from the get-go. How much did Memphis pay those coaches off to make it such a lop-sided game. I say the NCAA needs to investigate those refs, NOW!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

With that said, FANTASTIC season by our Terps. They did the best they could and fought hard every game. They just didn't have the best talent.

Of course is that NO WAY reflective of the teams head coach and his recruiting skills (or lack thereof).

Go Terps!
Go Gary William!

#1 Team.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 21, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

first- congrats to GW and the team on a good season. This was not good matchup for them at all.

That said, Vasquez needs to learn to shut up. He is a good player, not a great player. Here is an excerpt of a well deserved beatdown from Yahoo sports:

...if the Venezuelan guard were half as good as he thought he was, the Terps wouldn't have been one of the last at-large teams in the NCAA tournament field.

But mere facts don't matter to Greivis. In his mind, the bounds of his greatness aren't constrained by a pesky won-loss record.

Posted by: mcmelton | March 21, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Henderson-Niles: 3 minutes played, 0 points, 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 2 fouls. He really earned the right to spout off with that amazing showing.

Posted by: shamuballeno | March 21, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Wisconsin and Cleveland St. proved how weak the ACC really is......it's UNC, Duke, and a bunch of garbage!

Adios Sanchez, enjoy the trip home and watching the rest of the tourney on tv!

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | March 21, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________

Loser talk... Did you watch the game?? explain how the refs could stop Memphis from making 8 of 11 3 ptrs in the first half...

Please, bad matchup for MD... their only chance was to zone up & hope Memphis had a bad shooting game from 3 pt range... it didn't happen & they got crushed.

Good finish to the season Maryland... can we leave Gary alone & just let them man coach, he is one of the best in the biz.

Posted by: tony325 | March 21, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Sort of what I feared would happen -- we were just too small. I hadn't realized how big that team is. You could make a case they should have won the national title a year ago and still have a bunch of those players left.

Who can beat them? Several teams but if they're shooting as well as they did today...

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez, Vasquez or whatever his name is got what he deserved. Memphis would have been top 2 or 3 in the ACC and still a #2 seed or better in the NCAA. They are just a far superior team to the Terps in every way.

Posted by: ABHFGTY | March 21, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

This actual quote from Henderson-Niles really sums it up quite nicely from this Memphis student athlete:

"We really ain't talked too much about Maryland. We watched a little film on 'em one time, and I know they got a good player -- I don't know his name -- but he good or whatever, so we just going to try to do what we do and stop him. I ain't never seen them; I know they got one good player, Sanchez or something like that; whatever his name is."

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | March 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Why is Henderson-Niles even talking. He did nothing (0 points, 1 rebound). Memphis played great and I do not care if they call out Maryland, but why is this guy doing it.

Posted by: terpsandyanksfan | March 21, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Henderson-Niles will be 400 lbs in 3 years and will not make it to age 40.

Posted by: island1 | March 21, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I think some big fat arse guy ate Henderson-Niles.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 21, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

RobInVaBeach, your city's a sucker. And so are you.

Posted by: chrisoarr | March 21, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Sure Memphis won but they did it in the first half with incredible 3pointers. At the end of the game they had lost one point in the spread. I am proud of our team. They were overmatched with a team ready for the NBA but NEVER QUIT. Couldn't ask for more. Go TERPS and Go GW. Be proud and walk tall. I look forward to watching you next year. GO TERPS. JSG

Posted by: js398bellsouthnet | March 21, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"We just beat them by 20 something points"? 89-70=19; guess you don't have to take math at Memphis.
Awesome job this year Gary; looking forward to next season.

Posted by: JBaker76 | March 21, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Vazquez needs to gain a little maturity so he would be wise to return to MD. GO terps go GW

Posted by: jdb70 | March 21, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's been fun. At least we lasted longer than Wake, FSU, BC, WVU, and about 28 other teams.

I don't think Greivis hurt our chances by trash talking. Teams prepare for other teams under any circumstances whether they talk or not. You think Duke played harder just because of something the other team's guard said? Puh-leeze.

What motivated Memphis was getting pushed by Northridge in Round 1. They almost got caught looking past a team and almost paid the price. Coming into today's game, they seemed more focused and certainly shot much better.

As far as trash talking goes, the only person who pays for the quote is the person making the quote, especially if he loses. Greivis hopefully will eat his crow and move on.

Good luck to Dave Neal. He has typified what this season has been about: playing with guts and determination despite shortcomings. He won't get his number put in the rafters but we'll remember all he did for this team this year.

Here's hoping two or three new recruits, GV staying for his senior year, and more experience will help the Terps return to the Final Four next season.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | March 21, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I really hope your wrong about Vasquez staying for his senior year. I really think he hurtes us more than helps. I think his chest thumping and jersey popping and blowing kisses to the opponents students is an embarrassmant to the school. I think we get the other teams very best every night because he fires them up with idiotic quotes and talk. Of course the papers give him every opportunity because they know it will make a good quote and that Grevis is too stupid to say no comment. His 17 points are no that hard to replace. His 5 turnovers a game may be however. He led the team in rebounding and assists, but the rebounds were a byproduct of being on the floor 40 min a game at what 5, and his assists were less than 5. You or i might have 5 if we had the ball in our hands all the time. Anyway, I hope he goes back to South America, or Spain or Italy or wherever will have him. Bowie and Hayes can handle the point just fine, and with the new recruits and the emergence in the last few weeks of Dino Gregory we will be just fine.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | March 21, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I graduated UMD 2003. I am UMD basketball. I live and die this stuff. I love Gary.

BUT:

HE HAS TO BE LET GO. NOW.

Posted by: ananta1164 | March 21, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, Prisbell. You're like a little Gossip Girl.

Posted by: jhowlin1 | March 22, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

"Go TERPS and Go GW."

I couldn't help noticing this tag line in several posts. It says a lot for Maryland fans that they take time to wish the team at George Washington well.

LOL

Posted by: Samson151 | March 22, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

ananta, I'm sure you enjoyed all of those Final Fours and NC's, and now can't believe how "your" program has fallen so far so fast ever since you've been a fan. Well believe it or not, this program experienced some tough times before you became a fan, but you didn't know that because you were still playing with Power Rangers and wetting your bed when it happened.

Posted by: island1 | March 22, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Island1 I couldn't agree more. Hey ananta just because you graduated from MD and say you live and die MD Bball, doesn't make you a fan. A fan supports the team, coach and school in good times and bad. And in case you didn't realize, we had a bad DAY but a good YEAR. Go cheer for Duke or NC where anything short of National Championships is considered a disappointment.

Posted by: MPG24DE | March 22, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I love how CBS put up GV's quote on TV but doesn't bother to tell the whole truth that he was responding to reporters questions about the Memphis Teams remarks and utter lack of knowledge of Maryland. Do I wish he didn't say what he said YES, but that's not what lost this game. But read the quotes and watch Memphis players talk on TV and you will see that STUDENT/Athlete is an oxymoron at Memphis. I'll take Dave Neal, Adrian Bowie and Eric Hayes any day over players like that.

Posted by: MPG24DE | March 22, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I noticed how the Memphis plays were always 1, 2, or 3 - given as hand signals from Calapari. I assume counting to 4 would have been above these fellas level of comprehension.

When they showed Calapari's family in the stands, I had to wonder how often he cheats on his wife. And his teenage daughter was prominently showing a tattoo on her arm. Keep up the good work coach! Cheating pays is the lesson of the day.

Posted by: TripleH44 | March 22, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Can we get a quote from the towel boy next time? Someone more relevant and educated please.

Posted by: TripleH44 | March 22, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

...an ok season--its a shame the kids had to publically go through all of GW's disfunctionality. But results wise this is at a minimum where the Terps should be every year...a top 32 team. So good job Gary, you did your job. Now give the MD faithful what they deserve and hire your heir apparent this summer and install him as your assistant coach...so you can put in two or three more years and move on. (On your own terms.) I know we all have flaws, but being a head coach of a major program comes with huge. public and personal responsibilities. GW is a great coach...just not a great person. If he can fix the disfuntional aspects of his personality, than great and lets support him for the next 10 years at UMD. If not, well then its time for a change. IMHO.

Posted by: oddjob2 | March 22, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I would say the fact that Henderson-Niles (a bench player) and his team won gave him the right to say what he said - to the victor goes the spoils. As to what Memphis players may have said, well they were number 3 or 4 at the season's end in the polls and where was Maryland? On the bubble while Memphis was wondering would they be a 1 seed or a 2? It may have been arrogant to dis your Terps, but really, until they met in this tournament, why should Memphis have taken notice of you? Your Venezuelan motor mouth, like many people, should remember that your mouth shouldn't write checks it's butt can't cash. Memphis, from top to bottom, has more talent than most of the ACC schools. It seems that many in the ACC - based upon the accomplishments of two or three schools year in and year out- suffer from a huge case of overestimating the talent of their league in basketball. The Big East is the conference delivering this tourney year. I am painfully aware that the SEC has gone through the most mediocre basketball season that I can remember, but living among ACC people in Charlotte for the last few years really cracks me up.

So some of you are tired of GW. Well, that usually happens after a coach has been at a school for 10 years or more. Maryland is like a lot of teams in the SEC this year, you need to bulk up on talent. I will leave it to the Terp fans to debate the rest of the components needed to last more than the second round of the NCAA Tournament. But I congratulate you on the hard work it took for your team to squeak into the tournament this year since it is far better than what my beloved alma mater did.

Posted by: crimsonwhite12 | March 22, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

An almost 20 point beat down kills any notion of refs playing favorites. Terps are lucky that Memphis relaxed their form in the last 4 minutes...otherwise, Terps would have lost by 30. Better stop understimating your opponents just because Maryland plays in a touted conference. Otherwise, you're going to get beat by some small fry team someday making the slogan "Fear the Turtle" meaningless.

Go Tigers Go!

Posted by: darkjedi301 | March 22, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

This year was a complete travesty. Ultimately what is the goal? To continually make the tourney win a game or two and call it a sucessfull season because you overachieved with less talent?

OR

To continually enter the tourney ranked top 10 with a legit shot to win the champshionship.

It is very well noted that GW CAN NOT RECRUIT. These days recruiting is more important than coaching.

Only a fool will argue that coaches like Calipari, Coach K, Calhoun, etc are not better at recruiting than GW.

Following a national championship 2002 it is inexusable to let talent like Rudy Gay go.

Why settle for mediocrity?

I am sick and tired of the argument that GW can win with "burger king all americans."

It's time for this guy to go. Let's get a legit 1st tier coach. Let bring UMD basketball to level it should be.

Posted by: ananta1164 | March 22, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I've been a fan since the days of Len Bias, Keith Gatlin, and Tom "Speedy" Jones...this goes down as one of my favorite Terps teams of all-time. Sure the championship teams were special, but the heart this team played with, overcoming expectations, puts it right up there on my list. When Gus Gilchrist left the team, and a gaping hole in the frontline, who would have thought this team would find itself one of the last 32 standing? Under-appreciated talents like Dave Neal, Eric Hayes, and Landon Milbourne, tough play from guys like Bowie, Mosley, and Gregory, and finally, the maturation of Vasquez. I've blasted Vasquez during his first 2.5 yrs at MD, but the growth he displayed as a player over the past month was tremendous. Granted, I was blasting him yesterday as the 3-pointers were being drained, having lit a spark under the mental midgets cans with asinine words, but he truely learned what it takes to be a basketball player. Give Gary credit for perhaps his greatest coaching job. Can anyone name another coach in the Acc they'd rather have. I've seen Purnell's name thrown about before...still want him? How 'bout Gaudio...3 1st rd players and a 1st rd flameout? Vasquez may or may not be back next year, Stephenson may be waiting to determine if a 'ship is really available, but without doubt, the Terps will be just fine with Gary leading them next season.

Posted by: asnis715 | March 22, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

ananta1164 you are the biggest loser of all time. i suspect you are also petecard, poopy mcpooper, and probably several others on here. do you really think you are fooling anyone by switching your screen name? gee i wonder if there's a reason why the same idiotic comments keep getting repeated over and over under different names.

Posted by: terpsfan09 | March 22, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

terpsfan09 it is possible, actually probable, that some people disagree with you and are not satisfiend with the program. I highly doubt that one guy is logging in with 5 different names just to disagree with you.

Greivis is gone and on April 1st Lance will announce he is not going to UMD. I look forward to hearing about Gary's recruiting woes during the 2009-2010 season.

Posted by: SkinsFan991 | March 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Skinsfan991, why are you even here? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious as to why, if you're not a fan of the Terps, you would be on a site for Terps fans? What's the point? Just to get a rise out of fans of another school? This is what you are doing with your life?

Posted by: terpsfan09 | March 22, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

To answer your question (without trying to be a dick). As a resident of the DC area I follow MD basketball closely and have several close friends who are diehard UMD fans.

I read this site in particular to get news and quotes that I don't get from watching Sports Center. I began posting about the Terps during the middle of the season when the drama began with GW and the AD. At that time their was an interesting debate that expanded beyond UMD. The debate was this "should a coach who had great success in the past be pardoned for recent failures?". After listening to some decent arguments I provided my 2 cents.

I continue to read these posts and comments for their comedic value. The same clowns continue to post non-sensical rants while immediately dismissing any argument that contradicts their blind loyalty in the program. I find it hilarious and depressing at the same time.

You are probably right that I should have better things to do than make posts degrading Barno or one of the other simpletons around. However, if I am going to come here anyways and read the posts/comments for information and comedic value then why not take the 2 minutes to add my own opinion?

Ideally these comment sections would be a way to spark healthy debate and perhaps open some people's eyes to alternate viewpoints. Unfortunately that seems unlikely given the tone of most posts these days. Particularly when one can't even make a post without being called an impostor (poopy mcpoopy, petecard, etc).

Would you care to respond to my last post? All indications are that Greivis is going to the NBA and Lance Stevenson will announce his decision on April 1st at the McDonald's All-American game. If he does not choose UMD then chances are the team will have a "rebuilding" year next year and the debates over GW's recruiting will ignite again. Do you disagree?

Posted by: SkinsFan991 | March 22, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

What is there to say about this team right now other than Gary Williams, his assistants, and his players proved the doubters wrong this season?

You don't need me to re-paste for the umteenth time what someone said about the Terps chances this year. We've seen so many of those types of comments on here it's just comical at this point how wrong they turned out to be.

And yet here they are again with comments like "Grievis is gone" or "Lance is not coming here." It just funny to me that these people are still here with their "guaranteed" predictions, predictions about things that none of us has any clue about whether they will happen or not.

To be honest, I do not understand why after being proven wrong so many times on these silly predictions, these geniuses continue to make these predictions on here. The earth is not falling on the MD basketball program. Last off season was about as rough as any in Gary's 20 years here, and he parlayed that into a 21 win season and NCAA 2nd round team.

I know I am pumped up about next year, so I say let the pessimists be pessimistic.
I'm certainly hoping for a great off season in which the biggest thing will be whether Vasquez decides to come back or not. With or without Stevenson, if Vasquez comes back this team could be very good.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 22, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Fair points Barno. The MD team overcame a rough start and quite a bit of adversity this year. As a whole I would say they exceeded expectations. At the beginning of the year I think a 2nd round NCAA tournament trip would have been slightly above expecatations for most fans.

The points about Greivis and Lance are not completely speculation though. There are several recent articles indicating that MD has fallen to 3rd on Lance's list. From what I've read Greivis has indicated that he is leaning towards leaving provided he will be drafted in the 1st round and receive a guaranteed contract.

If he stays or if Lance committs then next year's team will be very formidable. The other incoming freshmen should provided some needed size in the post and I think Milbourne will really come into his own next season. Hayes needs to continue playing with the confidence he exuted during the ACC tourney and Bowie/Mosley need to turn the corner.

Posted by: SkinsFan991 | March 22, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse