How Do You Like The Terps Chances?

Maryland capped off its regular season yesterday with a 68-63 loss at Virginia that may have done considerable damage to the Terps NCAA tournament hopes. Players said after the game that they feel they likely have to win two games in the ACC tournament this coming week in Atlanta to get back in the discussion.

At 18-12 (7-9 ACC), Maryland's resume currently contains two wins over top five opponents, a 2-6 record on the road and losses to Virginia and Morgan State. Heading into the conference tournament, I'd like to know how you all are feeling about the Terps NCAA tournament chances.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 8, 2009; 8:15 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Close Regular Season With 68-63 Loss At Virginia
Next: Neal: Zone Offense 'Could Use A Little Work'

Comments

To be in slightly considered, they'll have to reach the semifinals, which means they'll have to upset either Duke or North Carolina. If they want to feel safe, reach the finals of the ACC.
Considering it would all have to happen on the road, I can't see why any fan should be feeling good about the chances. If its gonna be like the Old Spice Classic where they play one good game and then get pasted the rest, I'll pass.

Posted by: doh1 | March 8, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it. We are toast.

Another disappointing season with a team that just doesn't measure up.

We aren't even a factor in the ACC, much less nationally.

Missing the tournament for the 4th time in 5 years is simply unacceptable.

Gary must do a better jobe recruiting. Making the tournament next year will NOT be enough. We need to be there almost every year.

Our program is a real disappointment and I am disgusted.

Let's hear it Koolaid drinkers.

Posted by: petecard | March 8, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

looking towards next yr MD Basketball could take another step back-especially if Vasquez leaves for pros which could happen and Dave Neal-I hate to say this but will be missed with leadership and hard-nosed play. The two incoming recruits are not considered top blue-chip players -Jordan Williams could be a surprise -but his high school competition was not very good and James Padgett has some skills -very athletic and is more of a defensive player very comparable to Dino Gregory-not much offense. Lance Stephenson is the key if they get him it would soften the Vasquez blow if he left and if he stays they could be one of the better teams in ACC next yr.
Terrell Vinson also could help but will not have same impact as Stephenson.

Let's hope Gary realized that being a great coach is nice but you do not win without players! You leave the window open for a few teams to jump in and they will take your spot. Oliver Purnell and Dino Gaudio have leaped over MD program -UNC and Duke have maintained their dominance-Virginia Tech, Boston College now Florida State-are getting better while MD has become average-Their recruiting this yr is so far better than the terps but time will tell!

Posted by: Terptime | March 8, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Petecard:
Gary must do a better Jobe? What's a "jobe"? Maybe you need to do a better "jobe" at proofreading your work. Besides you need some new material besides "we need better recruiting" and "I'm disgusted." When the Terps win, you just go "ehhh." But when they lose, you wallow in this pitiful state like "we're all doomed; fire Gary; someone cut off my head!" Listen, if hate the team so much, go follow a winning program like Georgetown, who are great at recruiting total underachievers. Otherwise, up the dosage on your Prozac and leave us Kool-Aid drinkers alone. GO TERPS!

Posted by: ecglotfelty | March 8, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

ecglofelty:

Thanks for being a great proof reader. I am obviously ignorant and lacking of social skills but misspelling a a word like job is a real embarrassment!

You really have your act together. Thanks so much correcting me.

But your own comments have been so badly stated, it is a real joke that you are challenging me on my Englsh...

You make my point for me and YOU are an embarrassment to the university.

Posted by: petecard | March 8, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse