How Far Will Terps Advance In Atlanta?

Yesterday's poll question centered more on the Terps' NCAA tournament chances, but now that the ACC tournament bracket is set, I'd like to know more specifically how you all think Maryland will do this week in Atlanta.

The Terps earned the No. 7 seed and will take on No. 10 seed N.C. State in the first round. A win would put the Terps in a quarterfinal matchup against No. 2 seed Wake Forest.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 9, 2009; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Defensive Switch Fools Terps
Next: N.C. State Has Vengeance On Its Mind

Comments

All the way!

By which I mean, of course, that they will get all the way to Atlanta. Their plane will arrive safely and their bus will make it to the arena on time.

I have a feeling that bus will continue running throughout the NC State game, though.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 9, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

JiM,

Think positive....I think they will at least turn the bus off during the game, to save gas.

In all seriousness though, I think they barely beat NC State and then lose convincingly to WF. That would put them firmly on the bubble.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 9, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I thank the terps will win with N C State and They will win with Wake Forest. But they will lose Saturday game. They will get into the ncaa tourment.

Posted by: cats162 | March 9, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Call me fickle...but I don't see them getting past NC State again, let alone Wake. I really hope I'm wrong.......NIT otra vez.

Posted by: iamasofaking | March 9, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

im flying from seattle to atlanta for this acc tourney...much like flew back to DC for the acc tourney there a few years back...

talk about sour grapes!!!

but looking at it now...if they can just beat NCState thurs, at least we would then go into the Wake game with a chance to dance!!! so i got that going for me...which is nice!!!

but its times like these i have to remind myself im going to this thing b/c im an ACC fan and have to let go of any expectations for the terps...

to fly into dc a few years back an hour before tourney tip off knowing the terps had to beat clemson...a team they were better than but had already beaten them twice...and the to watch them lose and be done 3 horus after i got into town...well i just have to be realistic about this year as that was awefully painful to experience...

Posted by: deadskin | March 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Since the Georgia Dome is not Greivis Vasquez' house (but Cameron Indoor is?) , the Maryland Turtles will be riding back to College Park waiting anxiously for their Invitation to the Not-Invited Tournament. I'd like to be the first to say farewell to Gary Williams. Thanks for the memories and enjoy that early retirement!

Posted by: jtwooten | March 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Enough about this team and the NCAA Tournament. Even if they got in, what are they going to do? Nothing, but lose in the first round. They don't win away from home people and the team is not talented enough, so move on and be happy for the NIT and a match-up with George Mason at Patriot Center.

Posted by: jwing14 | March 9, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Whatever it takes for Williams to resign.

Posted by: teddybeartwo | March 9, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Whatever it takes for Williams to resign.

Posted by: teddybeartwo | March 9, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it. We are toast.

Another disappointing season with a team that just doesn't measure up.

We aren't even a factor in the ACC, much less nationally.

Missing the tournament for the 4th time in 5 years is simply unacceptable.

Gary must do a better job recruiting. Making the tournament next year will NOT be enough. We need to be there almost every year.

Our program is a real disappointment and I am disgusted.

Let's hear it Koolaid drinkers.

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we start a movement to get GW and Brenda Frese to switch jobs.

The men's program would take off and it would mean huge national PR.

The problem: The women's program would tank. Guess that is just not fair....

I'll bet Debbie Yow had thought about it!

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Want to comment but the posts make me too angry. Good luck Terps, play like you did for the last month minus the UVA game and you'll be fine.

Posted by: Lee26 | March 10, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I too feel too angry about earlier posts to comment much (of course it helps that I have hindsight working for me since we just beat Wake Forest). Fair-weather fans really make me wanna puke...I thought Terp fans were better than this.

Go TERPS!!!