Lance Stephenson Chatter

While you all continue to ponder the season that just concluded for Maryland, take a few minutes to look ahead to the possibilities next season might bring. One possibility that remains on the table is that prep phenom Lance Stephenson will come play for the Terrapins.

Stephenson's recruitment has drawn national interest for quite some time and regional interest in the past few months, ever since the 6-foot-5 guard took an official visit to College Park.

It appears Stephenson already has decided which school he will attend, but has said he will not announce his decision until the day before the McDonald's all-American game next week in Miami. On March 31 at 11:45 a.m. at BankUnited Center, Stephenson will reveal which school he has chosen.

One media outlet is reporting Stephenson likely will choose Kansas and that Maryland no longer is in the hunt. However, Stephenson has said his final selection list still includes St. John's and Maryland.

At this point, it's anybody's guess, and you can bet the folks that run the McDonald's game are crossing their fingers that Lance keeps his lips sealed for another eight days.

By Steve Yanda  |  March 23, 2009; 7:29 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland Women 82, Dartmouth 53
Next: Solid Showing For Maryland-Bound Padgett

Comments

Either way he goes its Win Win for him. Play in the ACC and start immediately or go to the defending national champs who are still alive in the tournament this year. Play alongside Sherron Collins or Greivis Vasquez? Lance has a very nice choice to make. If he's done it already, he should just announce rather than drag it out.

Posted by: doh1 | March 23, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

The prevailing wisdom is that St Johns is out of the mix because he didn't announce Saturday at MSG. If he was going to stay home in NYC he would've announced at home in NYC. The only quotes I keep hearing directly from his mouth is that "it's going to be a surprise", that makes me wonder if he isn't letting the Kansas rumors swell to turn around and go "Marland" to be dramatic. Kid certainly likes the spotlight...

Posted by: Lee26 | March 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

plllleeasssseee come to MD

Posted by: DMoney28 | March 23, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Might not be the popular response to Stephenson but I hope he doesn't pick Maryland. The one-and-done kids do not help a program in the long run and from all that I've read, that's exactly what Stephenson will be.

Posted by: imageaid | March 23, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Just read that Zags blog report linked to above. There is clearly no question as to his choice. He is obviously going to Kansas. We shouldn't waste one more bit of energy on this topic. He and his family want him to be in a 'cozy' environment far from New York and where he will have a clear shot at a national title. Lance told the people in Kansas "I'll be back", and apparently he knows someone at Under Armour from earlier events he was a part of and did the Maryland official visit as a favor to that person. Even if that last thing is not true the other signs are quite clear.

Posted by: jake177 | March 23, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

What is there to say about this team right now other than Gary Williams, his assistants, and his players proved the doubters wrong this season?

You don't need me to re-paste for the umteenth time what someone said about the Terps chances this year. We've seen so many of those types of comments on here it's just comical at this point how wrong they turned out to be.

And yet here they are again with comments like "Grievis is gone" or " there is clearly no question, Lance is not coming here." It just funny to me that these people are still here with their "guaranteed" predictions, predictions about things that none of us has any clue whether they will happen or not.

To these geniuses, all I have to say is-- The earth is not falling on the MD basketball program. Last off season was about as rough as any in Gary's 20 years here, and he parlayed that into a 21 win season and NCAA 2nd round team.

I know I am pumped up about next year, so I say let the pessimists be pessimistic. I'm certainly hoping for a great off season in which the biggest thing will be whether Vasquez decides to come back or not. With or without Stevenson, if Vasquez comes back this team could be very good.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Based on what I've read, I don't think Stephenson has been all that serious about coming here - it's not a good fit playing next to Vasquez, and Gary is not the style of coach the one-and-done kids will search out. The first time Gary screams at this kid for his bounce-pass technique would be the last. I love Gary, and would rather have him get guys who fit his style and personality better.

Posted by: kingrob76 | March 23, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably the only guy in the Terp nation that doesn't know how many scholarships GW has to award. Please can someone (Yanda/Prisbell?) tell us?

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 23, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

i thought maryland only had two scholarships to give next year and those two are going to jordan williams and padgett. if greivous goes pro, then they will a third to give.

Posted by: hetherb | March 23, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I appreciate your intensity but sometimes it gets the better of you. As someone who attended nearly every home game from 88 to 92, Bob Wade into the probation years, it is only possible for others to equal, but impossible for anyone to exceed my level of gratitude to Gary for coming home and rebuilding Maryland basketball. It was a major highlight of my time in College Park. I mean, those words do not even begin to adequately describe it. I remember genuinely feeling a little bit sorry at the time for the vast majority of basketball fans who would never know that feeling of a coach of his caliber leaving another major program like Ohio State to come home to rebuild. Which everyone I knew at that time agreed was unquestionably going to be highly successful. The track record and commitment level put it beyond doubt. I can honestly say that the feeling I had then, and many other people as well obviously, knowing that Maryland basketball had at least 20 great years ahead of it, was beyond even the joy of finally winning the NC. And that is saying a lot. Sometimes I get the feeling a lot of people who post here just could never relate to what the literal reality was in day to day life on campus in 1988. It was like a blanket of heaviness and mild depression still permeated the entire campus environment, a full two years later after ...

Then a few years later there we were, taking Duke to triple overtime in a Cole where everyone was almost literally having out-of-body experiences.

FAR from being even remotely critical of the team or of Gary, my comments were direceted completely and only at the question at hand in this blog post: "Lance Stephenson - what do we know, where's he going to go."

Now, if you can read that whole Zags report on the situation with close attention to every detail, particularly the ones I cited in my earlier comment, and still come away with the sense that it is an open question, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. "Read it again" I guess. Or don't.

I am simply saying I think we should move on to looking at the many positives we have and how to best build on them. I guess it is easier for me to do because I never sensed that Lance was really emotionally mature enough to see that the best thing for himself long-term would be to develop under Gary. Steve Francis lived in Takoma Park and loved Maryland. Barring that sort of connection, Stephenson's decision seems clearly to be driven by two things: his father's strong drive to have Lance go to a quiet burg far, far away from NYC 'haters', and Lance's need to bask in the brightest lights and play with a bunch McDs types.

Posted by: jake177 | March 23, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Jake, great piece. Those early Gary years are always a great reminder of what it would be like if he weren't here. People should write more of those kinds of stories on here now that the season is over.

The reason I didn't mention you by name Jake when I used part of your quote, was because I wasn't responding to you personally. I was addressing the HOG - (Haters of Gary). You're not one of those fools, that's easiest enough for me to figure out.

Thanks.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 23, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Barno. Guess I took it a little wrong. I've been simmering for quite a while as all the HOG stuff has gone on. I just personally am not cut out for the back and forth on these boards I guess. I guess I needed to say my piece now that this season is done.

Posted by: jake177 | March 23, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse