Maryland Women Loosen Up

RALEIGH, N.C.—All is (relatively) quiet inside the RBC Center this afternoon, where approximately 40 fans are watching the Maryland women practice in advance of Saturday's NCAA South Region semifinal against Vanderbilt.

But an hour before practice, there were screams and shouts coming from the Terrapins' locker room. They were locked in a hard-fought battle of Pictionary, the "Good Guys" versus the "Bad Guys." Lynetta Kizer, Dee Liles, Anjale Barrett, Kim Rodgers and Marissa Coleman were part of the "Bad Guys," along with a team manager and trainer.

"The bad guys are winning," Kizer said with a smile. "Team bonding, pretty much. Lot of laughs, good competition. Yemi [Oyefuwa] is really good, but so far every [clue] that Anji has drawn up, we've gotten."

Seniors Kristi Toliver and Marissa Coleman have often drawn comparisons between this team and the one that they played on as freshmen. That group—which won the NCAA title in 2006—was young and loose, and played as if it had nothing to lose. The group that was upset a year later in the second round of the tournament, however, was too serious and played too tight.

"Especially come tournament time, we like to keep things loose and free," Toliver said. "We've got a lot of time on our hands; they keep us in the locker room for about four hours before we can go on the practice floor. This team has always had fun with one another, just like our freshman year. That's where this tradition started, playing these games. Our chemistry off the floor is why we have such good chemistry on the floor. I'm happy that this team has so many similarities as our one from freshman year."

Just as they did during their open practice in College Park, the Terrapins closed practice with a game of knockout from the top of the arc. A handful of players didn't participate; when Coleman was asked why she wasn't playing, she responded, "I'm not trying to get knocked out of the tournament, so…" Coach Brenda Frese eliminated Toliver, Kizer and Drey Mingo (who won last week's contest). Barrett, who is shooting 50 percent from three-point range on the season, won. Barrett then officially ended practice by sinking a running halfcourt shot.

By Camille Powell  |  March 27, 2009; 4:45 PM ET
Categories:  Women's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Postseason Evaluations: Gary Williams
Next: Lackluster Attendance at the Women's Tournament

Comments

NOT a great headline.....

Posted by: petecard | March 27, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Pig. Ease up on the team of female athletes, all of whom can probably whup your behind in, well, ANYTHING.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | March 27, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

EAT KIDS!!!

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 27, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

You guys need to realize Petecard is a mentally handicapped person. His comments should be excused, he doesn't know any better.

Posted by: brianxp | March 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Amazing comeback, down 18, miracle win for the Terps.

Louisville, your next.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 28, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

For once I have to say I agree with Pete. I thought the same thing when I read the headline

Posted by: fushezzi | March 28, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Seems we have a couple of sexists here. Well, no matter. The Lady Terps didn't seem very 'loose' in this game and that was probably why they didn't put Vandy away much earlier. This was a real nailbiter. Vandy played very well indeed and seemed to have a good more energy than our guys. The officiating was was awful and probably negatively affected both teams. Let's hope our Terps are loose and fancy free on Monday next.

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 28, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm a sexist for calling into question an obviously stupid headline?

I watched their game today and rooted hard for the Lady Terps. Amd most of us aren't so stupid as to write headlines that beg one to deny their ridiculous double interpretations.

I was waiting for a tagline...something like: Testudo has flown away!!!!

Get a life you bashers who can't even achkowledge the possibility of a tasteless headline.

Posted by: petecard | March 28, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Marisa Coleman ate the children of everyone in the building today.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 28, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | March 28, 2009 8:39 PM

Petecard, please do yourself and the world a favor and seek professional help. I'm not kidding buddy. You really desparately need help.

A woman (Camille Powell) wrote a perfectly legitimate headline, while you lept to the ridiculous conclusion that this was somehow "tasteless" of her.

Bottom line: you are a raging lunatic Petecard, and it's about time you acknowledged this fact and did something about it. Get help buddy.

Posted by: brianxp | March 28, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

After that game yesterday is there any doubt who the better basketball team and who the better basektball coach is at UMD?

Seriously!

Also, gotta agree with petecard and others on the headline. My first thought was

"Terps women loosen up eh? Good for them. I'm sure they were really tense during the game so it's good for them to go out and get some pleasure."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Man, it's been over 24 hours since one of the greatest wins in MD program history and still not one word about it on the blog. Let's go Camille Powell, get your head in the game! Should have been a blog item by yesterday evening.

Posted by: brianxp | March 29, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Brian, I was expecting at least ONE blog entry after such an exciting game. And I would have expected a second blog focusing primarily on Marissa Coleman's out-of-this-world, jordanesque performance. She broke the school record for points.

However, I have found a great blog where you will find consistent posts about the Terps.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 29, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game in Raleigh and I really think the Maryland crowd played a key role in the win.

When the Terps were down by 11 late in the game, things looked very bleak. I remember a Maryland fan standing up and shouting, "everybody get up, this team needs you...they need you!"

Then several sections of Maryland fans stood up in unison, exhorting the team.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 29, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

While I do not read anything sexist about the title of this blog, I think a better choice may have been "Team chemistry plays key role in tournament run" or something like that.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 29, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse