Poll: Vasquez, Memphis Players and Trash Talk

Back at the hotel after a long day. This is Eric. We had some interesting comments Friday by Memphis players and Greivis Vasquez. I’ve heard a lot of thoughts on the matter from fans and writers. Not sure how I feel other than it adds even more subplots to an already fascinating matchup. I have stated for some time that Memphis’s Pierre Henderson-Niles is among my favorite players to talk to because of his candor. And Greivis Vasquez is among my favorite players to talk to because of his candor.

Should Memphis players have known Greivis’s name and more about Maryland’s team? Is the team overconfident, even after the scare against Northridge?

Should Vasquez have called into question the strength of Conference USA? It is a one-bid conference, but what is the value of saying it the day before the game?

I was particularly surprised Greivis chose to verbally scold me during – yes, during -- the first-round game against California for looking at him while I covered the game. But I’ve come to expect the unexpected this season. I like Greivis a lot and certainly do not fault him because sources tell me that he has a lot of people in his ear right now. Here is one story on Yahoo Sports. It has been fun to cover this team, no question, because there is no shortage of stories and intriguing personalities. I have not enjoyed a season this much since Fresno six or seven years ago. And I have probably enjoyed this sub-regional more than any other in my nine previous years covering the NCAA tournament.

My view of college basketball is, well, a little different than most. I truly love the tangled world of AAU hoops as much as I love the purity of Missouri Valley basketball. And I love the personalities in the sport. The coaches, the players, everyone. It amuses me that I have received emails from fans suggesting I am somehow bothered by the fact that Maryland has advanced. Anyone who knows me realizes that I am ecstatic, overjoyed and thankful for a Maryland-Memphis matchup, which in my mind is a dream scenario.

For me, Saturday is Christmas morning. And I think it will be a great game.

By Eric Prisbell  |  March 21, 2009; 1:54 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vasquez: 'They Don't Have Tough Games'
Next: Scouting Memphis

Comments

Eric, why do you think Grievis scolded you? Why would he be upset with you? Do you know? Do you guys have issues with each other? You've known each other a few years now right, what happened? Is he mad at you about something?

More info please.

Posted by: Brainxp | March 21, 2009 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a day. Cleveland State was a gimme, of course, but who'd a thunk Wisconsin would take mighty Florida State?

Not good for the ACC, to have the Seminoles, BC, and Wake join Clemson this quickly. And NC waiting for Lawson to come back...

Maryland and Duke, this may be on you.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

About Wisonsin: joking aside, that's a team you want to avoid in a tournament. They can play slow, they're one of the five or six best defensive clubs in the field, and they've got one guy who can pressure your best scorer, as long as he doesn't play center. THat's a nightmare scenario for a team that isn't familiar with them.

Maryland is different but comparable. They play a style that teams don't see all that much outside the ACC (remember what they did to a superior MSU team early on?) They've got one guy who when the moon is right can beat you by himself (remember the second Tar Heels game?) And a coach who's strategy isn't simply to play his own style, but to figure out what you want to do, and make it living hell for you when you try to do it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Last thought: Memphis is not as talented this year as they were last. Evans is not Rose -- and the Memphis DDM scheme was designed for Derrick Rose. There's no Chris Douglas Roberts or Joey Dorsey, players who can dominate outside or in for long stretches of the game.

But in some ways, they're better. Taggart and Dozier are the sort of long, strong, quick-jumping big men that Maryland has trouble with. Where Rose was explosive, Evans is pure power -- you want to see post up play, he's your man.

Without a superstar or preeminent seniors, the Tigers have had to play better as a unit. You didn't see it against Cal State, but we might against the Terps.

Play hard Maryland. Keep your mouth shut, Greivis.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Eric, So what if Maryland's success makes your three part series look silly especially since you ignored the players Gary Williams did successfully recruit. Any publicity is good publicity in your quest to become the next Andy Katz on ESPN.

Of course any reporter likes to cover a player like Greivis who doesn't know how to keep quiet. However, only a troublemaker such as yourself would directly quote him about Lance Stephenson rather than just indicating that he may be more likely to return to Maryland if Stephenson selects to Terps.

Posted by: Chief2 | March 21, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Here is an idea for a three-part series...

Posted by: kozora | March 21, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

"Greivis now looked at you wrong...and you have to report it? Again, you appear to be the story, instead of just reporting it.
Here is an idea for a three-part series...
How has sports reporting changed over the past 20 years? You can look at ESPN, the internet, the dying print-media that now has to report on player's personal lives or write stories full of innuendo instead of fact."

What's the statute of limitations on this sort of resentment? Read Mike Wise's piece in today's Post.

Posted by: kozora

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Samson151-

I thought so.

As for the Wise column, well, you don't think journalists look after their own?

Posted by: kozora | March 21, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Memphis' players comments, about how they weren't looking at much film on MD, how they were just going to use their athleticism to beat MD, and not knowing Vasquez's name, were a slap in the face. Vasquez's comments did not rise to that level of disrespect, CUSA is a joke of a conference, and although they would have a winning record in the ACC, you can NOT win it with just athleticism.

MD doesn't have a great chance to win this game, but if Memphis thinks they are going to just impose their will athletically without any game plan and can start packing their bags for the sweet 16 while coasting through this game, they may be in for a surprise. Ask Wake Forest.

Posted by: grimesman | March 21, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Memphis Forward Pierre Henderson-Niles on the Terps and Vasquez: "I never seem 'em play, Van-Chez or something like that, whatever his name is."

Memphis Forward Robert Dozier on Vasquez: "I don't know his name"

Memphis Forward/Center Shawn Taggart on what the Terps have other than Vasquez and Hayes: "Nothing really"

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

You've become the most hated reporter in D.C. and Maryland, Prisbell. Just quit.

Posted by: smetzger37 | March 21, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Samson151-Can you tell me another instance when someone who covers any team, profesional or amateur, reported that a player looked at them crosswise?I thought so.As for the Wise column, well, you don't think journalists look after their own?Posted by: kozor"

Wait a minute, maybe I misread it. Sounded like it was Greivis who yelled at Prisbell not to look at him. Twice. Not so?

So that would be Vasquez calling Prisbell out, wouldn't it? During a game?

When's the last time you saw a major college player do that with a reporter?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I find all this funny because all both teams are trying to do is to get into each other's heads. Implicitly, Williams and Calipari are probably sanctioning it. It's just a reflection of today's culture.

This type of trash talk is harmless and mild compared to what transpires on the court before and during the game.

But I think since Barno is such a tough guy, perhaps we should send him over to the Memphis bench to impose his will over their mouths.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 21, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

As the four letter network tells it Memphis can disrespect MD but MD cannot return the favor. F that. How many titles does anyone associated with Memphis have? Z E R O. Respect the throne. Get ready to get outcoached again Deep Pockets Calapari. Pumped.

Posted by: Lee26 | March 21, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Samson151-

Exactly.

Posted by: kozora | March 21, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I clicked on your article by accident. I agree with smetger37 below just quit. No one deserves to be fired more than you. By the way...nice nothing of a story!

Posted by: ciaocccp | March 21, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

"Samson151-The only person even mentioning the story is the reporter that made the blog-post - and it is about him. Isn't that the definition of becoming the story?Exactly.
Posted by: kozora |"

You ask me a question then jump in agree with yourself before anyone can dispute it -- I don't think you need me to have this conversation. As they say: talk amonst yourself.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse