Stephenson Elects to 'Wait It Out'

On Tuesday afternoon at BankUnited Center in Miami, prep phenom Lance Stephenson appeared with his father and mother to make a statement regarding the announcement he was supposed to make on his college choice.

"I know everyone is here for me to make my announcement, but my family and I want to wait it out," Stephenson said. "It's a tough decision, so I'm just going to take my time and have fun here at the McDonald's game. And hopefully you can hear later on my high school career."

As recently as this past weekend, it was reported that Stephenson had made his decision between his final three schools -- Kansas, St. John's and Maryland -- and that he would reveal his choice on Tuesday at a media availability in advance of Wednesday night's McDonald's all-American game.

But late Monday night, Lance's father, Lance Sr., called the game's public relations officials and informed them his son would hold off on his college decision for now.

"It wasn't a change," Lance Jr. said. "It's just hard for me and my family to make this decision, and I'm just going to wait it out."

Lance Jr. said he did not know when he would make his announcement, but he said he and his father would discuss the matter, and that a decision would come "hopefully soon."

The late signing period is from April 15 through May 20.

There was some chatter earlier in the day that perhaps Stephenson would consider Kentucky, now that it appears John Calipari will be named the Wildcats' next head coach. When asked, Stephenson reaffirmed that the only three schools he is considering are Kansas, St. John's and Maryland.

"It's just a tough decision," Stephenson said. "I've just got to wait it out, my family and I. ... This is my life. I want to go somewhere where I'm comfortable and I can play at."

By Steve Yanda  |  March 31, 2009; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephenson Postpones Commitment Announcement
Next: Terrapins Face Life Without Coleman, Toliver

Comments

I suppose this may be a good sign for the Terps. I don't imagine the kid was going to go in front of a national audience and announce he was going to a school that, as of now, does not even have a scholarship available. Correct me if I'm wrong???

Posted by: asnis715 | March 31, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Well I have to admit that whatever happens it obviously isn't as much of a done deal as I thought based on that Zags article. Maybe the fact that his team got blown out while Gary was watching caused him to think about whether he is as NBA-ready as he thought, and if not, where he could best develop.

Posted by: jake177 | March 31, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

WHATEVER!!! I Know this; Gary had better have a plan B because it sounds like he may be waiting on a call from John Calipari and at any rate, this kid may be one and done.

Posted by: dargregmag | March 31, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I got this kid being a bust only because of all of the hoopla surronding him. I mean we needed him to tell the press that he's not going to announce his school of choice? Look kid go to, Kansas or St' John's we don't need a Prima Donna around College Park.

Posted by: ENJOYA | March 31, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

As a Terp fan I am not sold on Stephenson. The only time I got to watch him play against a rival he was unimpressive. Combine that with a sense of entiltlement and a dad who wants his big payday and you got the makings of a disaster.

If he were the last peice of a national championship team then maybe he is worth it. Otherwise forget it!

Posted by: donmac1 | March 31, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can we just say screw this kid and pursue Vinson, if we're pursuing another guard?

Please visit his home page and see how this 18 yr. old has his own "TV show." I can almost guarantee that he will not jive well with Gary. Aren't we looking at another Gilchrist situation?

The only thing that could come out of this is to garner national press and shut up certain WaPo reporters about recruiting for the time being. Then we question this next year when this team is completely guard heavy. What are we Villanova?

Posted by: ianharte | March 31, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's a nice, fun story on Gary's UMD team:

Tournament teams improve APR scores

Updated: March 16, 2009, 7:03 PM ET
Associated Press

North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Connecticut share a No. 1 seeding in the NCAA tournament. Their graduation rates have less in common.

The numbers ranged from 86 percent at North Carolina to 33 percent at UConn, according to a report released Monday by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida.

Louisville was at 42 percent and Pitt at 69 percent.

The study also found that fewer tournament teams have failing Academic Progress Rates than last year. Twenty-one of the 65 tournament teams have APR scores under 925, the cutoff below which the NCAA can penalize schools. Last year, 35 teams had APR scores below 925.

Graduation rates remained similar to last year. Forty of the teams had graduation rates of at least 50 percent.

The graduation rates were based on whether freshmen who entered school between the 1998-99 and 2001-02 school years earned diplomas within six years.

Seven teams had a 100 percent graduation rate: Binghamton, Florida State, Marquette, Robert Morris, Utah State, Wake Forest and Western Kentucky.

The five lowest rates were at Cal State Northridge (8 percent), MARYLAND (10 percent), Portland State (17 percent), Arizona (20 percent) and Clemson (29 percent).

The study noted the ongoing gaps between the graduation rates of white and African-American players. Twenty-five tournament teams had a gap of 20 percentage points or more between the two groups.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
=======================================

Gary-the-God had the 2nd lowest graduation rate of any NCAA Tourney team at a whopping 10%.

Of course this isn't Gary's fault at all.

ahhahhahahahahhahahahhaha

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Umm Poopy head.. why do you hate MD and Gary so much. Being critical is one thing, but you take such glee in it. Where you rejected by MD as an undergrad or something. I don't like Duke but I can appreciate Coach K. Same for NC or Georgetown. I can not stand Calipari or Pittino but I still respect them. You just seem to wallow in your hatred for Gary and the Terps and I just don't get what makes you so angry.

Posted by: Stevida | March 31, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

what's wrong with trying to get the no. 1 point guard recruit in the country donmac? If vasquez leaves then we'll be left with hayes and those three local kids who couldn't hit water if they fell out the boat. while i understand the gripe about being guard heavy, i can't help but laugh at the sarcastic vilanova reference while they sit pretty in the final four. Furthermore the terps are too far away from sniffing a national title to talk about a player being that last piece on the way to a championship. They need to get that first piece. Unc has been riding hansborough for four years, he and lawson were the first pieces on the way to building a championship contenders. If you can't name one or two guys on the terps who could be considered a cornerstone of the program for the next couple years then how could you oppse gary recruiting one. There is no guarantee the kid leaves after a year, even the hated gilchrist stayed a couple.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 31, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Poopy Mc-No-Life,

Stiring it up again eh, No-Life. For a person who claims to be a MD grad, you sure like to trash everything about your alma mater.

The same type of crap you did as "O's Exec" on the Nat Journal. Claiming to be an O's fan trashing the Nats.

Here's what I think: You're a phony. You're not a MD grad or a O's fan, you're just a jackass who likes to get his jolly's stirring things up.

Get a Life or a girlfriend for crying out loud. Please.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 31, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's the official scoop on poop:

Poopy McPoop showed up on this blog on or around Selection Sunday, after having never posted any comments that I can recall prior to the Terps getting a bid. He is basically the resident geek on the Terrapin Insider whereas most of the regulars on here just wish he would leave.

He has admitted on more than one occassion that he is a fairweather fan, doesn't root for the Terps when they are down but is the number 1 fan when they are winning. He recently admitted that he posts under several names on here to try to make it seem like there are people that agree with him. (Yes, he really is that pathetic).

Some have speculated that he is also Petecard, Restonhoops, and Nats Executive, since they all similarly write annoying posts often using the same words and terminology, and tend to agree with each other about their hatred of Gary Williams. (yes, he really is that pathetic).

Poopy is also fairly unintelligent. There are more than a few examples of his stupidity. Off the top of my head, here's some examples:

Poopy once wrote a post calling someone a liar (barno1?) about the Terps being picked to finish last in the ACC this year and cited a poll that showed otherwise. He really did not know there was more than just one pre season poll of the ACC teams (yes, he really is that stupid).

Someone else posted another poll which showed the Terps were indeed picked to finish last by at least some people, but no response from Poopy.

Poopy often makes comments about subjects when he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. For instance, the above comment. He's obviously not aware that MD has had a lot of transfers in recent years, more than usual, and that those kids count against you in the graduation rates (otherwise why cite the "10% graduation rate" figure when most fans know it's not an actual representation of our graduation rates?)

Basically, Poopy has nothing better to do than to come on the Terrapin Insider and try and find ways to annoy Terps fans (which is just sad, since he swears he's a MD grad a Terp fan).

So, that's the scoop on Poop. He's just some lame kid who hates Gary Williams but isn't bright enough to describe why we shouldn't appreciate our great coach.

Posted by: terpsfan09 | March 31, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

So here's how its going to go with Lance:

Calipari goes to Kentucky. He then brings a team of recruits with him to UK, all guys that were supposed to go to Memphis, except for one kid, Xavier Henry. Henry, whose #2 is Kansas, decided to become a Jayhawk. Lance gets a little case of wet feet over not being THE guy and decided KU is not the best place for him after all... Welcome to College Park. Meet your 2009 ACC Champs and National Title Contenders...

Posted by: nford2 | March 31, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Terpsfan09 - thanks for the scoop on Poop. I actually feel sorry for the sad sack now. A shame really.

Posted by: Stevida | March 31, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

poop mcturd seems fairly unintelligent. the story he quoted is WAAAAAAY old news and anyone who knows anything about college ball could look at the rosters Gary had from those seasons and see some transfers as mentioned above and how many kids who instead of graduating went pro and made millions. Yea - what failures... that statistic is flawed and I think was actually a story someone must've rehashed from 3 years ago.

anyhow.. I believe that Stephenson has a very real interest to stay on the East coast and play for Gary. Kansas being the team with the best chance to win right away, Maryland being second best of the 3 but also pretty close to home and in a great bball area and great conference with a high profile proram... Couldn't hurt as a one year thing though I don't think to have a top rated player come in. If it doesn't work - he leaves.. so what. It works - they win some games, he leaves... whatever.

Posted by: unkonchus | March 31, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

No problem. I actually think MD fans are by and large a well informed fan base. Poopy is the exception to this rule. He really just has no idea what he's talking about half the time, the other half he's making odd comments about how he uses acid.

He's just a really pitiful kid, what can you do.

Posted by: terpsfan09 | March 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Amazing scoop on poop by Terpsfan09. And yeah you're right it was me that McPoopy called a liar for saying the Terps were picked to finish last. Not the sharpest tool in the shed that guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 31, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

McPoopy = Gilchrist It is all clear now

Posted by: dbrine1261 | March 31, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10

I don't have anything against Stephenson going to Maryland if he is half as good as the "experts" say he is provided he will be a team player who will hang around at least a couple of years. Nothing I have seen so far gives me a warm feeling about his situation.

He obviosly wants to go NBA after one season and I feel the Terps might be better off to get a player who they can build around for at least a couple of years. To me, if a kid only wants to go to school because of the NBA he shouldn't be there. On top of that, based on just his recruitment, I wonder if he is worth the aggrivation that is entailed with his obvious feeling of entitlement.

How hard is it to pick out a good school? Why is he dragging this out other than seeking attention? Maybe it's his grades? Have you heard him speak? It's past ridiculas. He should either play in Europe or sue the NBA since setting an arbitrary age barrier must be unconstitutional.

Posted by: donmac1 | March 31, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a great sign for the Terps. Reports had been saying he was leaning toward Kansas, GW shows up for one of his games unexpectedly, suddenly he's making no announcement...

The fresh Xavier Henry - Kansas connection also seems legit...

Also, I don't see the Calipari connection at all. If Calipari didn't recruit Stephenson at Memphis, why would the jump to Kentucky suddenly change that? It looks like Jodie Meeks is returning to KY, which doesn't leave much room for Stephenson.

Posted by: p1funk | March 31, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

...and BTW, the more you make fun of Poopy, the more he feeds off of it. He does this crap to get a rise out of everyone.

The way you deal with attention-needy sad sacks like Poopy is by ignoring them...

Posted by: p1funk | March 31, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

Fellow terps fans just not getting it.

Even Florida State had a higher graduation rate than UMD.

Now that's just sad. FSU, really?

Of course you all are just jealos b/c you all never played basketball with Steve Francis out on the bball courts behind Berkley Apartments.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

And neither did you. You're a fraud.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 31, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

why would i lie about playing bball with stevie franchise out by berkley apts?

I'm definitely not trying to impress any of you haters on the internet.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. Why do you lie about your screen names? Poopy McPoop, Restonhoops, O's Exec, Petecard, etc, etc.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 31, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

why would i lie about playing bball with stevie franchise out by berkley apts?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2009 9:33 PM

because you're a loser?

Posted by: brianxp | March 31, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Too bad I'm not/have never been petecard, restonhoops, etc. etc.

Good thing you're not a detective b/c you'd absolutely stink at it.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Poopy's having a bad day, must've done a lot of acid last night (he loves bragging about doing acid...he's a real tough guy)

Posted by: brianxp | March 31, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I think Stephenson may just make the dumb move of going to Euro. Actually I wouldn't be surprised. He doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. If Xavier Henry is free, why not push for him instead? He's better and comes with less drama and a better attitude.

Posted by: doh1 | March 31, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Doh1 you don't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. That's if you are serious about thinking Stephenson is going to Europe next year. That's not going to happen.

Posted by: brianxp | April 1, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

dargreg: " Gary had better have a plan B because it sounds like he may be waiting on a call from John Calipari "

I think he just might. Stephenson looks like a give-me-the-ball-&-get-out-of-my-way type of guard. That's perfect for Calipari's dribble drive motion offense. In that scheme, there are no screens to speak of; the PG simply drives while the post man clears out of the lane and waits for a pass or the rebound. That's a pretty good plan for a player like Stephenson.

So Kentucky might be an out.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 1, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is gone. Rivals.com reporting he signed with an agent today.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Stephenson's move was based on the events in the past few days with Calipari signing with Kentucky.

It's rumored two of the recruits who orally committed to Memphis will land with Calipari on bluegrass. Another is looking seriously at Kansas, which in turn impacts Stephenson. These recruits are rated higher (#1-5) than Stephenson (#9).

Stephenson is waiting to see where Cousins or Wall commits before he can make his move. This reinforces the idea that Kansas remains his first choice but if that falls through, Maryland might be reaping the rewards of his services.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | April 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I've not seen anything on the newswire regarding Vasquez, so please provide a link to the story.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | April 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

That's hilarious. I totally fell for that earlier today and spent like 20 minutes looking around on Rivals.

Posted by: jake177 | April 1, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I got Prisbell too. This really is one of my favorite days of the year.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

lol - you got me too Barno1 - I was doing searchers all over the place! HA

Posted by: Stevida | April 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Vasquez is gone. Rivals.com reporting he signed with an agent today.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2009 2:09 PM
=====================================

Whew! Had me worried there that UMD had just lost the best player to ever put on a Terp uniform.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 2, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Yet another local kid playing bball somwhere else.

But it ain't Gary's fault b/c he's the best recruiter ever.

Gary is GOD.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 2, 2009 6:42 PM

Dwayne Anderson is averaging 9 points a game in his senior year, by far his best season at Villanova. The above comment by Poopy McPoop defines just how retarded this clown Poopy Mc-I-Have-No-Life is.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Poopy thought he was making a good point but doesn't know anything about college basketball and puts his foot in his big mouth YET AGAIN.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Posted by: brianxp | April 2, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

There are two more posts on Zags blog related to the Stephenson situation.

Posted by: jake177 | April 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse