Terps Quickly Turn Attention Toward Cal

Greivis Vasquez took a quick glance at the time showing on the jumbotron above the Comcast Center court before answering a critical question. How long do you celebrate an NCAA tournament bid?

"That's a good question," Vasquez said at 7:06 p.m. "I think we've got to celebrate for maybe 30 more minutes and then just go back and just really get focussed. I still believe we can do something special. I'm excited we made it, but I'm trying to win. I'm trying to win and I'm going to send that message tomorrow in practice to all my teammates and coach. I'm hungry and I'm going to keep it humble. I'm going to work hard, and you know, I'm going to try to win games in the tournament."

Many of Vasquez's teammates shared the same sentiment. At 2:55 p.m. on Thursday, the Terps will take on California, a Pac-10 team about which little was known last night.

The one fact many Maryland players did know about the Bears was that they can definitely shoot the ball from long range. California is ranked No. 1 in the nation in three-point shooting percentage (43.4 percent).

California also is ranked No. 9 in field goal shooting percentage (48.5 percent).

"I've watched one game this year on them, and I know they can shoot the ball extremely well," Dave Neal said. "I think they lead the country in three-point shooting, and that's about the only thing I know. Them being a Pac-10 team, we don't get to watch too many of their games or follow them too much."

However, Neal said, "we're going to know everything about them once Thursday comes around."

By Steve Yanda  |  March 16, 2009; 10:37 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Great Coaches Gather in Kansas City
Next: Greivis and the Media

Comments

Barno's favorite trick is to re-print others' comments, many out of context.

Eric, your standard for this site are disappointing.

Having said that, we are all hoping the Terps go deep and we certainly are looking for a win vs. Cal!

Posted by: petecard | March 16, 2009 8:30 AM

Petetard, exactly what comment did quote out of context, and how was it taken out of context? You have made this claim repeatedly, but never given a single example.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

PETETARD, WHICH OF THESE COMMENTS WAS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT, AND HOW?
____________________________________________

C'mon all of you FOG's, let's hear about how the Terps are going to win one or two in the ACC.

Don't bother to make your MSG reservations. They won't get that far in the NIT.

Posted by: petecard | February 18, 2009 11:05 AM

Let's face it. We are toast.

Another disappointing season with a team that just doesn't measure up.

We aren't even a factor in the ACC, much less nationally.

Missing the tournament for the 4th time in 5 years is simply unacceptable.

Our program is a real disappointment and I am disgusted.

Let's hear it Koolaid drinkers.

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 6:30 PM

Gary should use the game against NC State to get ready for the NIT.

Maryland plays in the NIT so often it should consider becoming the title sponsor.

Turtle Soup, brought to you by Gary Williams. Simply warm and serve.

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 8:56 AM

Barno,

We ARE toast. You think beating NC State means anything?

Why not just deal with the bottom line: We are going to miss the tournament this year for the 4th time in 5 years.

Unacceptable.

Gary's responsibility.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2009 10:32 AM

Right now we have a mediocre program.

The FOG's think Gary should be able to write his own ticket.

Posted by: petecard | March 1, 2009 10:22 AM

Gary's contract will be up in 2-3 years. That's where the focus should be.

Posted by: petecard | March 13, 2009 10:33 AM

Unacceptable.

Gary's responsibility.

Posted by: petecard | February 19, 2009 10:32 AM

making the NCAA is not a worthy goal in and of itself

Posted by: petecard | February 28, 2009 12:17 PM

Even if we make it, that is NOT the benchmark we should have for our program

Posted by: petecard | March 3, 2009 2:18 PM

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

C'mon guys, give it up. Even though you're surely nice guys, your back and forth comes across as childish, boorish and boring. Much of it smacks of attempting to control this blog. Continuous personal attacks from one or another simply depresses readership and willingness to put one's two cents on the line.

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 16, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

It's about time the Wolfpack wins a game, no? What better team to victimize than our Terps?

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 8, 2009 10:02 PM

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Good comments AncientTerp.

I will state my opinions and only respond to personal attacks. I won't initiate.

Posted by: petecard | March 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

get a life, people.

Posted by: ICBomber | March 16, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | March 16, 2009 12:06 PM

Is quoting you considered a "personal attack"?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree with ICBomber. If you guys wanna argue, why not just email each other and keep it private. Let's use the blog as a forum about the team, not one another.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

petecard can call fans who support Gary Williams names like "FOGs" and "Koolaid drinkers", yet when Barno1 simply pastes petecard's own past comments back on the blog he accuses Barno1 of "personal attacks." Really laughable. petecard must have some self-hate thing going on.

Keep it up Barno1!

Can you do the same thing with Yanda's and Prisbell"s past comments?

Posted by: Steve96 | March 16, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't bother to make your MSG reservations. They won't get that far in the NIT.

Posted by: petecard | February 18, 2009 11:05 AM

Our program is a real disappointment and I am disgusted.

Let's hear it Koolaid drinkers.

Posted by: petecard | March 9, 2009 6:30 PM

Posted by: petecard | March 16, 2009 8:30 AM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

AncientTerp,

Please advise how one should handle this.

Is this a one-way street?

Posted by: petecard | March 16, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

You know, I'm not all that hopeful about a deep run in this tourney.

But I am going to take side bets on whether on not Dave Neal will hard-screen some Cal player into tossing his cookies on national TV.

Any takers?

Posted by: mabkhar | March 16, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Maryland alum living in Berkeley. Terps match up well with the Golden Bears but may not be able to rely on their zone defense against these sharpshooters. I consider the Pac Ten to be a little soft. Notice the point spead between the no. 3 Pac ten team and the no. 7 ACC team is pick'em. I expect the Terps will show Cal how we do things downtown.

Posted by: reverb | March 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Petecard, to answer your question, it seems that your antagonist wants to censor and control this blog. My guess is the best way to deal with it is simply to withdraw. I, for one, shall do so. Perhaps Mr Barno, who writes books and is the most highly informed observer of Turtle things (participant?), can provide the Terp kingdom with his own private blog free of contrary opinions. So let's all back off and let the good man have this blog. Maybe the Post will hire him to write a daily column?

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 16, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Barno working for the Washington Post. That'll be the day.

And "wrote a book" is an expression, guy.

And I do not want to censor. I actually like the idiotic comments from Petecard, it's fun to throw them back in his face. By all means, stick around and continue to give me more ammunition for posting material.

I am actually STUNNED that Petecard is not declaring that we'll lose to California. This has been his m.o. all season long, but now that we've made the tourney he's keeping his imbecilic predictions to himself? Too bad...

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse