Up And Down Night For Vasquez

Tuesday night's game started out well for junior guard Greivis Vasquez. Assuming primary ball-handling duties, Vasquez conducted the offense efficiently, setting up teammates with those flashy no-look passes and setting up himself with creative drives to the basket. He finished the first half with 11 points on 5 of 13 shooting and two assists.

Then the second half came around, and it often appeared as though Vasquez was trying to do too much. He shot 2 for 11 from the field and compiled five points. He was 1 for 5 from three-point range. However, he did tally five assists and continued to help distribute the ball when the Terps were on the attack.

"I think I got a little tired; I've been playing a lot of minutes," Vasquez said. "And that's not an excuse, but ... I’m so angry right now, just because this was the game that, you know, I thought we could have made history by winning this game. You know, me missing layups and I got a couple blocks. I pretty much got by them every time I wanted to. I got to the paint, but I kicked it out a couple of times to Dave, and other times, I didn't see teammates open and I went all the way to the rim and I got a couple blocks.

"But other than that, you know, hopefully I see them again. I'm still going to play with confidence. I thought they couldn't stop me. It's just, you know, I got tired and I stopped my own self. So that's the only reason I'm a little angry at myself."

Vasquez's final stat line: 16 points on 7 of 24 shooting, including 2 of 8 from three-point range, five rebounds, seven assists, four turnovers and three steals.

How would you all evaluate his performance Tuesday night?

By Steve Yanda  |  March 5, 2009; 7:23 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lynetta Kizer Named ACC Rookie of the Year
Next: Misdirection Only A First Half Charm For Terps

Comments

First half: B-

Second half: F

Overall: D+

Posted by: Barno1 | March 5, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Who ghost wrote that comment by Barno?

He's right on the money. This can't be!

Posted by: petecard | March 5, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

In the second half there were only three Terps who were either willing or able to take shots in the half court offense. That put a lot of pressure on Greivis to create. He is outstanding player who wasn't able to carry the big load that was placed on him. No shame in that and I expect him to bounce back against Virginia.

Years from now when people say "run the road" people will remember how Greivis led the Terps to the 2009 ACC Championship by beating N.C. State, Duke, Wake Forest and UNC on successive days.

Posted by: theslug | March 5, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: theslug | March 5, 2009 9:43 AM

Like John Gilchrist? I have fond memories of that team, but the future of that team was not as bright. I just want the team to make the tournament and be relevant. We still have that chance.

P.S. I remember one play that got me riled up at Vasquez last game. Vasquez got the ball on a transition, got a little bit of contact and sort of flipped the ball above his head hoping to get a call. He had to go harder than that =P

Posted by: Joran | March 5, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is a pretty good player, however, he thinks he's the next Michael Jordan. MJ operated in a totally different sphere, putting up 30 every night. If Vasquez' shot is off, then he needs to incorporate other players more into the offense.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 5, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse