Vasquez Earns All-ACC Honors Again

Yesterday afternoon, the ACC announced the All-ACC selections, as picked my an assortment of regional media members, and Maryland junior guard Greivis Vasquez was picked to the second team for the second year in a row.

Vasquez was Maryland's only representative among the selections. He led the Terps this season in points (17.2 ppg), rebounds (5.4 rpg), assists (4.8 apg) and steals (1.4 spg). He tied for second in the ACC in assists per game in conference play.

Here's a list of the All-ACC first, second and third teams (total number of votes in parenthesis):

First Team
*Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (228)
Toney Douglas, Florida State (226)
Ty Lawson, North Carolina (224)
Gerald Henderson, Duke (210)
Jack McClinton, Miami (188)

Second Team
Jeff Teague, Wake Forest (185)
Trevor Booker, Clemson (156)
Tyrese Rice, Boston College (151)
Kyle Singler, Duke (128)
Greivis Vasquez, Maryland (116)

Third Team
James Johnson, Wake Forest (100)
Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech (83)
A.D. Vassallo, Virginia Tech (81)
Danny Green, North Carolina (48)
Gani Lawal, Georgia Tech (46)

Wayne Ellington of North Carolina, K.C. Rivers of Clemson and Sylven Landesberg of Virginia earned honorable mention recognition.

* unanimous selection

What do you all think of these picks?

And what do you think of Vasquez being named to the second team? Too low? Too high? Just right?

By Steve Yanda  |  March 10, 2009; 7:01 AM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who Will Be the No. 1 Seeds in the Women's Tournament?
Next: Everyone Together Now: 'One Game At A Time'

Comments

Vasquez is not my favorite, but his performance against UNC was the best I'd seen by a Maryland player since, oh, Len Bias.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Seems about just right. Would say more but two sentences is all I can handle on Terps right now without vomiting. Congrats Greivas, I hope you can carry the team into Saturday and then the next week.

Posted by: Lee26 | March 10, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Lee26,

I feel your pain. That loss to UVA just drained me. Right after it, I felt like someone kicked me in the ding ding.

But, I think I will recover by Thursday night...I hope.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Lee 26... I agree. They are really excruciating to watch. It really did make me sick. I had to turn the TV off with about 5 minutes to go in the UVA game. I just had that sinking feeling. IN FACT, I have had that sinking feeling for the past 5 - 6 years with the Terps... JUST CANNOT GET IT DONE... Do we ONLY get players that are below average shooters AT BEST? They have open looks. But when the game is on the line, they just cannot MAKE THEM... They just cannot get it done. Coach's Fault, Players Fault, Over all. Team's fault for the last 5 - 6 years... I am not sure if I can watch NC state game. when you know ur team can do something, but somehow they find a way to fail, for the last 5 years... it really does become difficult to watch them play... go terps...

Posted by: doeshin | March 10, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree with everything that's been said on here. I grew up in Rockville and graduated from Maryland in '85, so I have been through it all. I was in Minneapolis in '01 and Atlanta in '02. And this season has been just unbearable . . . the fluke ending against Carolina notwithstanding.

Posted by: jldwhyme | March 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Can't really make too strong an argument for this but I feel GV could have been ahead of McClinton (Miami). Grevis is a more well rounded player. Congrats to him on his selection.

Posted by: erniegogo | March 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The first time I watched a Maryland basketball game, Gene Shue beat a VERY good Navy team. When I was @ U.Va., I watched the first ACC Champion TERPS.
I watched at Greensboro when Md. lost to N.C. State in OT. Regarding the 2nd North Carolina game this year - the TERPS played a better game against U. Conn. when they won the National Championship. but I have NEVER seen as fine a comeback as Vasquez and the rest of the team played against the Tar Heels. It was not a fluke - it was playing up to their ability. That doesn't happen often - I hope it happens again against WAKE.

Posted by: lmiller328 | March 10, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

jldwhyme: "However, let's be honest . . Vasquez should be first-team All-ACC, and arguably first team All-America. Leading the team in scoring rebounding assists and steals? When's the last time anyone did that at MD? Ever? Has anyone else done that this year for any Div 1 team? The guy tries to do too much and plays out of control at times, but no one tries harder."

He's definitely the key to the team. Unfortunately the team is not all that good. When Vasquez plays well, they have a chance; when he doesn't, they generally don't.

I think he goes pro after the season.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse