Vasquez: 'They Don't Have Tough Games'

Columnist Mike Wise just sent this to me. Greivis Vasquez made some comments about Memphis and Conference USA. I've got to get back to writing a story about something else, but here is what Wise sent me:

"You got to give them credit," Vasquez said. "They are pretty good. They have got pretty good athletes. Their confidence is pretty much questionable. They don't have tough games. But I still believe they are good. I don't want to underestimate them."

When Chick Hernandez from Comcast mentioned that some of the Memphis players couldn’t pronounce Vasquez’s name – implying that they didn’t know who he was – Vasquez said, “”I like that. They will know my name. They will know who I am tomorrow on the court….I thought it was disrespectful not knowing my name, but, uh, it’s definitely going to be a good game, a competitive game. Hopefully the best team is going to win and hopefully we get this win so we can shock the whole world.”

Dan Hellie of NBC4 then suggested to Vasquez that the Maryland star wouldn’t be shocked if the Terps won, right? Vasquez, you could see, was starting to let this idea of the Memphis players disrespecting him fester and take root in his head. He was about to ready to blow. And, on cue, Mt. Greivis finally did:

“No, not at all,” he said. “We beat Wake Forest. If they play in the ACC conference, they would have a losing record in the league. Probably win all their games outside the league, but losing record in the league.”

“The ACC is too tough. You can’t just win games night in and night because you’re so athletic. I don’t think those guys came to play yesterday. They won it, they won the game because they have a better team overall but tomorrow they’re going to face a good team. So I think we’re good enough to win.”

Asked by the Post’s Mike Wise if in fact he really believed the Tigers would have a losing record in the ACC, Greivis responded, “I can’t guarantee you that, but I think they would. Why not? I mean, we beat Wake Forest. We couldn’t ever beat Duke, but UNC beat Duke, but we beat UNC.”

“That’s not true,” Gary Williams said after being informed of Vasquez’s bulletin-board comments. “Memphis is a good basketball team. They’ve proven that last year, they’ve proven it out of conference this year. That’s not true.”

Calipari, when relayed the comments by a Memphis beat reporter in a text message, replied, “That’s fine.”

Probably meaning his kids were off the hook for not knowing how pronounce a pretty elementary Spanish surname, which is more of a crime than anything.

By Eric Prisbell  |  March 20, 2009; 5:13 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gregory's Big Putback Fueled Terps
Next: Poll: Vasquez, Memphis Players and Trash Talk

Comments

is it too late to make the players off limits to the media? arghhhhhhhhh

Posted by: jpfterps | March 20, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear. Vasquez, you are killing me. They're already playing the "disrespect" card because the committee had the audacity to say they were the 5th best team in the country, and now you say they wouldn't have a winning record in the ACC. I am starting to NOT look forward to this game tomorrow. Ack.

Posted by: grimesman | March 20, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Greivis, Greivis, Greivis.

You need to use the mute button on your yapper. Nothing like a little bulletin board material to wake up a team that just sleep walked through their last game.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 20, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Pull this blog entry immediately. Seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I understand these comments are certainly newsworthy, more timely before the game, etc...but this could be very damaging to the Terps' chances tomorrow. We all know this kind of bulletin board material fires up teams more often than not.

And I know the Post is not supposed to be cheerleaders for the local team, etc...and I'm not asking for much here. As one of your biggest fans, I'm begging you, please pull this particular blog entry until after the game tomorrow.

It's not too late, they probably haven't seen it yet. Please.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Greivis have "bulletin board" comments before the Duke game in Cameron - we all know how that turned out. Greivis needs to button his lip and let his actions on the court speak louder than his words!!!

Go TERPS!!

Posted by: TerpGrad | March 20, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

It's too late. The Memphis beat reporter already has the quotes and took them straight to Calipari.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Pull this blog entry immediately. Seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 5:54 PM

You're an idiot. The job of the newspaper reporter is to report news, not to help the Maryland Terrapins.

The fact that you would post that comment, in apparent seriousness, invalidates everything bad you've ever said about the Post's coverage.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 20, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Why worry about it. Let Greivis back-up his words.

Look how the game in "Greivis' house worked out...that was sweet.

Posted by: petecard | March 20, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Lindemann, or whatever handle you've logged in under this time (don't think it's not obvious that you've been using multiple names on here for weeks, geek)

You've said some pretty damn idiotic things on this blog, so it's amusing that you're calling someone else an idiot.

First of all, you got pretty fired up after reading only one part or keyword of my comment and immediately jumped to respond without reading the entire thing.

You say "The job of the newspaper reporter is to report news, not to help the Maryland Terrapins."

I already said that I understand these comments are certainly newsworthy, more timely before the game. I also said I know the Post is not supposed to be cheerleaders for the local team.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Lindermann = Petecard

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap I knew Petecard was a schitzo, but using multiple names on here is some serious pyscho sh*t. Get yourself some help PeteLinderCard!

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, good job Vasquez. Guess Gary "The God" Williams can't get a handle on Vasquez.

Or is it, Vasquez just doesn't want to/can't change and it's all his fault and not the coaches fault for recruiting players who don't know when to shut their mouth.

Oh, I get so confused.

Bet this clowns major is kinesiology.

Go Terps.

2009 NCAA Tourney Champs Baby. #1 fan right here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Pull this blog entry immediately. Seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 5:54 PM

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 20, 2009 6:21 PM

------------------

Wow, someone else laying down the brutal, honest truth.

Pull this blog immediately? LOL AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

You've said some really dumb things Barno (okay, you really don't say much all you do is copy/paste) but this one may take the cake.

Pull the blog.....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHA

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Is Poopy on acid right now?

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Poopy/Petecard/Lindermann's act is getting really old. Can't we just talk about the Terps on here and not have this psychopath around instigating everyone?

Yanda/Presbille can you guys look into taking away this clown's posting abilities if if it's the same nutty weirdo using multiple names on here? Check the IP address of Poopy/Petecard/Lindermann/Imterpsfan2/Restonhoops

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Beat it PoopMcNerd

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Amen Mike.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

When I first read the entry I got a little worried about this becoming bulletin board material. Then I realized that this is March Madness and if you need extra motivation you have other problems then disrespect. If Memphis is pounding us they might pour it a little more than usual, but this won't influence the game too much. Wanting to show up Vasquez is not going to make their 3-pt shooting any more accurate against our zone. If Hayes is on and Greivis is distributing we have a chance. Go Terps!

Posted by: andreic | March 20, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 6:34 PM

...after you posted a comment calling for the blog entry to be pulled. And then, after saying what you said, you called for the blog entry to be pulled anyway.

For what it's worth to the many onlookers who I'm sure are following this captivating dialogue, I'm neither Petecard nor Poopy McPoop, nor have I ever posted under another name. I've been posting comments on this blog ever since it was inaugurated, under this name.

I give up on the comments section of this blog.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 20, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd also like to add that I'm not petecard or Lindemann but they both seem to be upstanding human beings.

I'm just a HUGE terps fan and UMD alum.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Lindermann, I apologize for including you with the others if you really aren't posting comments under other names. It just seems that you're always attacking barno for little things instead of any of the guys who he's been quoting. Makes it seem pretty suspicious that you are one of them.

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 20, 2009 7:26 PM

I'll give you that. But I made it clear that I understood they had every right to keep it up there and that it was newsworthy. Was asking as a fan, obviously, who didn't want this to hurt our chances tomorrow.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, Poopy go away already!

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Lee26 says,

"Greivis can say whatever he wants, he's the next Michael Jordan."

Barno1 retorts,

"I'm a dittohead, and on Sundays I worship Gary. I've mastered the art of copy and paste. Next on my To Do List is hack into the Post site and remove objectionable blogs and stories."

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 20, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Check the IP address of Poopy/Petecard/Lindermann/Imterpsfan2/Restonhoops

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 7:07 PM
-----------------

and what they'll find is that they're all different.

hahahhahahahaha. busted.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Lee26 says,

"Greivis can say whatever he wants, he's the next Michael Jordan."

Barno1 retorts,

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 20, 2009 8:22 PM

================

That's the funniest (and also so true) thing ever.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Poopy and Pete,

Keep posting. Some of these guys on this forum need a higher dose of their moron meds.

Wait, someone's outside my door with a shotgun. It's Barno1! He tracked me down based on my IP address!

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 20, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to say I need to retract my earlier prediction of a Maryland victory. I am very happy we got a NCAA win and nothing can change that. I am also saddened for Gary, for the rest of the team, and all us fans that GV probably just blew our opportunity to execute what would have been a highly satisfying upset. I do not mean to cut GV slack for not having command of an utterly basic, fundamental skill/rule to not provide bulletin board material, but I also put about a 10% share of responsibility on the media for semi-goading him. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like they were fishing a bit, knowing his history of lack of self control. Maybe that is their job these days but I guess I find it somewhat distasteful. It still doesn't change the fact that Greivis screwed up royally.

Realistically I think this is at the same level as if he had guaranteed a win. It presents a major challenge to Gary how to handle this. Our only shot is if everybody on the team can somehow take it to an even higher gear than our already optimistic projections were counting on.

The only 'upside' I can find, and I am seriously fishing here, is that if Maryland can somehow get the win then it reduces the heinousness of his words somewhat because we did have a losing conference record this year and would have beaten them on a neutral court.

Posted by: jake177 | March 20, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

imterpsfan2 is poopy is petecard

part pyscho, part unfunny comedian, part mentally challenged, respectively

Posted by: mike761 | March 20, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

For those keeping score tonight here are the results so far...
G'Town OUT
Va Tech OUT
American OUT
UVA OUT
Kentucky OUT
Clemson OUT
BC OUT
TERPS IN!!

And yes, I agree with Vasquez. This team has won over 30 games, which is commendable. But who have they beaten? they are 3-2 against tourney teams, with one win against Chattanooga, who got b****-slapped by UConn. Going undefeated in Conference USA is the equivalent of going 8-8 in the ACC. Put all the bulletin board material up if you want. Maryland beating Memphis is not an upset!!!

Posted by: ecglotfelty | March 20, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing something here? Did we lose? Let Vasquez talk all he wants. They aren't going to be any higher or lower then they would otherwise be. You think they are going to play harder b/c of a Vasquez quote? Please. To be honest, the fact they said they didn't even know Vasquez's name was trash talk in itself. I hope after every shot he hits he screams "What's my name?!" I hope he makes a superbowl shuffle type video to Slim Shady's "My Name Is."

To be honest, I'm not the least bit worried about this.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 20, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a crap? It's true. If C USA was any weaker GW would have a chance of winning it. Memphis plays in a league so soft marshmellows use it as a pillow. If Memphis was a decent program they wouldn't be in CUSA, they would be in the Big East with Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinatti...

Posted by: Lee26 | March 20, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

you folks are OK ;Grevis is correct ; CONF USA is not so great; but we love his comments in Memphis; we lost to Gtown and Saracuse ,so how can we beat the TERPS ?

Posted by: larrad2blue | March 20, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo has an article up now that's saying Vasquez screamed several times at Eric Prisbell during yesterday's game "Don't look at me!"

Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm............let's see.........
NCAA Tournament................ACC..................
Duke.....still alive
UNC......still alive
Maryland.still alive
BC.......OUT
Wake.....OUT
Clemson..OUT
Miami....OUT
Everyone else.......watching and wishing....

No matter if Maryland wins tomorrow or not, there is no argument that a team that almost all of us thought would finish in the bottom 1/3 of the ACC has been coached by one of the best. 2 years from now, when both Gary and Ralph have teams competing for ACC Championships, it's gonna be fun to see what the doubters write. It's not drinking the Kool-Aid Pete. It's actually following the programs and being realistic. Can't wait for football season. I'm sure all the Ralph "he can't recruit" haters will be crawling out of their graves. The rest of us will be laughing at you soon enough.

Posted by: virtueandvice | March 21, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

According to Jason King, Vasquez's comments about Memphis were "unprovoked." Yet, this is what the Memphis players had to say earlier in the day:

Robert Dozier on Vasquez: "I don't know his name"

Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

They dissed the Terps. GV retorted. Now the terps will diss them on national TV. Memphis is OVERATED. Too many chickenshat MD fans on these comment boards worried about bulletin board material It's too late for that the battle will take place on the court and the pre-game trash talking will have no effect on the game. It's all about mental toughness this time of year and the Terps have finally developed enough of that to whip up on the Tiggers

Posted by: cba51 | March 21, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

cba51, I didn't say anything about GV having confidence, saying they'll know his name Saturday, etc. That part is excellent. It is the part about how they would have a losing record in the ACC. Memphis was not talking trash, they were being their real, arrogant, ignorant selves. Which is exactly where we wanted those guys. Now we gave them the 'dissed us bad' 'insulted our pride' 'dissed our conference' card. That does not have "no effect" on a game. Are you new to the realities of playoff basketball?

I love how unbelievably much Greivis loves to play for Gary. I love it so much I'm not afraid to see the reality that GV lost control again in a way that at minimum caused Gary problems and indigestion today, wasting his extremely valuable time and distracting from preparations for a huge game. And after what happened at Duke.

I practically lived in Cole from 88 to 92, including a lot of women's games. I'm not some casual bandwagon fool.

Posted by: jake177 | March 21, 2009 4:41 AM | Report abuse

The difference between the Duke bulletin board material and this is,,,,,the Duke players could actually read it

Posted by: RWS1 | March 21, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Memphis Forward Pierre Henderson-Niles on the Terps and Vasquez: "I never seem 'em play, Van-Chez or something like that, whatever his name is."

Memphis Forward Robert Dozier on Vasquez: "I don't know his name"

Memphis Forward/Center Shawn Taggart on what the Terps have other than Vasquez and Hayes: "Nothing really"

Posted by: Barno1 | March 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

As a Memphis Tiger fan -- please don't be concerned about GV's comments -- and GV and others don't be concerned if our guys didn't know your name or couldn't pronounce it!!

Your team and players are great -- and your loyal fan base is also great!

Our Memphis team and loyal fan base is the same -- and as you all rightfully do -- we support them in good years, bad years, and in-between years.

Many of our young men have made mistakes in their choice of words from time to time -- or how they said it -- or even what they didn't say -- but like GV and all the young men on your fine team -- they are youthful, excited, and the NCAA Tournament provides a national competitive venue for collegiate basketball.

There are no losers, as both teams are proven winners already. Either may win today, as there are very few "locks" in collegiate basketball.

We congratulate the Terps for your season and wish you the very best.

As Memphis fans, we obviously are "pulling" for Memphis to Win -- as well as use this game to "reignite" the spirit and coordinated play of our team as well -- as they were totally out of sync the first 30 minutes on Thursday.

As you, our fan base is cheering our guys and yours --- to play their very best for themselves, their team, the school, the fans, and for our community.

When you play your best --- you WIN --- even if your lose.

The Terps and Memphis are both winners!

Yes ... I have to conclude with:

GO TIGERS GO!

Posted by: MichaelDumas | March 21, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The funniest thing to me about this story is that, at this point in the season, is there really any such thing as "bulletin board" material?

While I would generally prefer GV to refrain from such comments, if you're one of the last 32 teams left in the Dance and you need to find a way to get fully psyched and pumped for a game without needing an extra edge, you're in big trouble.

Still, GV does crack me up -- I love the C-USA rip :)!

Posted by: imageaid | March 21, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse