Three Things About Laurin Mincy

By now you've probably heard that the Maryland women received an unofficial commitment from Laurin Mincy, a 6-foot shooting guard from Newark who is considered to be one of the top players in the class of 2010. She is 13th in the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100 rankings, and joins 6-foot wing Alyssa Thomas (ranked 42nd) and 6-fpot guard Natasha Cloud (ranked 95th), who previously made oral commitments to the Terrapins.

Here are three things to know about Mincy, who averaged 18.8 points and 5.8 rebounds for University High as a junior and has scored more than 1,800 points in her three-year career.

1. Her high school coach compares her to Marissa Coleman.

Mincy has the skills to play every back-court position, according to University Coach Felicia Oliver. She is especially adept at attacking the basket.

"Laurin is definitely a program-changer, and there are a lot of intangibles that make her special: her unselfishness, her will, her drive," Oliver said. "She makes everyone around her better—not only better players, but better individuals. … She's a student of the game. There are some players who study it, like they study for class. That's what sets her apart. She comes down the court, and she's thinking two, three four plays ahead."

2. She can be a tenacious defender.

Said Oliver, "She works just as hard on defense as she does on offense." Oliver points to one game in particular to illustrate that: University's 75-68 victory over Colts Neck in mid-January. Mincy scored 34 points, but it was her five blocked shots that helped change the game, according to Oliver. Late in the third quarter, Mincy blocked a shot, retained possession, and then hit a three-pointer at the other end that gave her team the lead for good. "That right there was the defensive play of the game that helped us get the win," Oliver said.

3. She's been a star since she was in elementary school.

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, Mincy scored more than 2,800 points "in her grammar school career, and became the first player to have her jersey retired by St. Joseph Elementary School in East Orange." When she got to high school, she averaged 19.9 points and 7.9 rebounds for a University team that went 33-2 and won the NJSIAA Tournament of Champions. She became the first freshman ever to be named first-team all-state by the Star Ledger, and as a sophomore and junior was named player of the year.

"Laurin came here and she put us over the top," Oliver said. "Lots of teams are missing that one piece of the puzzle. She's that piece. Laurin could've gone to any program and done the same thing."

By Camille Powell  |  June 24, 2009; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  Women's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greivis Vasquez's Return: What It All Means
Next: And The Lance Stephenson Sweepstakes Winner Is ...

Comments

Figure I'll carry this over from the previous thread....

I like how in Barno's world, if you say anything bad about Gary Williams or Greivis Vasquez that means you're not a "true" terps fan.

Than this clown (Barno) turns around and says:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are less than 24 hours until Etan Thomas's reign of terror in our nation's capital is over!!!

The most despicably bigoted, pitifully ignorant man in the NBA is finally on his way out. And his time poisoning our city's youth with his hate is over.

HALLELUJAH!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | June 23, 2009 9:26 PM "

Than he backed it up with this:

"There is no bigger fan of Ernie Grunfeld and no bigger fan of the Wizards than me. Yeah I despise Etan Thomas because he is one of the worst human beings in professional sports. But I love Ernie and I love my Wiz, don't get it twisted.

And I really like this trade as well.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 23, 2009 9:54 PM"

==========================================

Seems like Barno likes to apply some double-standards no?

That's all I needed to read from Barno to finally, 100% cement my belief that the guy is a moron.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 24, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This made me actually laugh out loud:

So, so so. Let's see, for years and years a good many of you have been trying to bash the O's franchise when Sox/Yankee fans overrun OPACY.

Glad you all are finally getting your comeuppance.

Nat's get a record crowd and a LARGE majority of them were rooting for the visiting team.

hahahahahhahahhahahahahahahsahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Posted by: Os_Exec | June 24, 2009 2:15 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 24, 2009 6:16 PM
_____________________________________________________________

Folks,

These two jackasses are the same guy. "Poopy McPoop" is "O's Exec" on the Nats Journal but, like the friggin' dope smokin' loser that he is, he is trying to play it off like he's two different people.

Dude, you need some serious head shrinking.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 25, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

What does this have to do with anything Terps related.

Quit your trolling buddy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 25, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Figure I'll carry this over from the other thread:

As for Coach K and what he's done since his last title, exactly how many NCAA's has he missed since than? What records has his team finished with each season since that NCAA Title? What recruits was Coach K able to bring in since that title?

You can probably see where that line of questioning is heading.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 23, 2009 10:27 PM

------------------------

But I thought "Personally, anything other than a Championship is a bit of a disappointment." In which case Coach K is one year BEHIND Gary. For all the recruits, season records and NCAA tourny appearances Coach K has had, he still hasn't won a National Championship since Gary led the Terps to theirs. And in your words again...."Personally, anything other than a Championship is a bit of a disappointment."

Posted by: fushezzi | June 25, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fushezzi | June 25, 2009 2:15 PM

============================

Well I'm sure Duke fans are dissapointed but you'll have to ask them.

I'm a UMD fan and couldn't care less about Duke and Coach K.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 25, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Poopy,

I saw a term on the Wizard's message board - "slope" - which was used with other racist terms. In all seriousness, what does it mean and who is it directed at? The draft has the board in a tizzy with a ton of bashing and threatening going on.

I figured you would explain it to me if you knew. Feel bad asking.

Love the fact that not a single post on this thread is related to women's basketball and is just a continuation of the GV news.

Posted by: HughGRection | June 26, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

And by the way, since we are so off topic anyway. I made my decision. Although I am a DC native who moved to Montgomery county for high school, I remain an Orioles fan moreso than a Nats fan. I reserve the right to jump on the Nats bandwagon if the franchise ever shows any signs of competency; however the Orioles will be my number one team.

Posted by: HughGRection | June 26, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Hugh, I have no idea how "slope" is a racist terms, sorry.

As for the O's/Nats. When I grew up in Southern Maryland the O's were the ONLY local team so naturally I rooted for them. It wasn't until I was in my early/mid 20's did the Nats show up. I wasn't switching allegiances than.

My main beef with most Nats fans, especially when I lived in MoCo, was they for some reason expected everyone in the DC Metro area to just all of a sudden start rooting for the Nats, no matter who they may have rooted for before the Expos came to town.

For that I'll always loathe the Nats (just like I'll always despise the Red Sox, because they're fans are jackasses too). And nothing is sweeter to me than seeing the Nats continually be pathetic and have horrible attendance for having a brand new stadium. Plus their owner may be on par with Angelos in terms of d0uchebaggery.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 26, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your O's-Nats insight, O's Exec.

Now go smoke A fatty or eat a shroom and leave us alone.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Too bad I'm not O's Exec, buddy.

Good thing you're not a detective or P.I.

Just because someone else doesn't like you're beloved Washington baseball team automatically makes them some other poster?

Good logic buddy.

Keep trolling too as this has nothing to do with Terps bball.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 26, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Poopy/O's Exec you need to seek professional help. Seriously. You are a troubled soul.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 27, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

In terms of Os vs. Nats agree that the Kasten makes Angelos look competent. Am not one to knock Yow and company at MD - especially compared to a lot of these clowns in tthe pros.

In terms of slope - never heard it before. there is a ton of racial sniping on the Wizards board - am a Wiz fan but they are way behind the Terps in terms of loyalty. Seriously, for all the Poopy + Os exec + Pete Card vs. Barno + Terps fan + Section on this board, the contributors are actually quite intelligent and yes, funny although they have polarized opinions. There was a few posts a while back threatening Poopy physically which were over the top, but otherwise, most stick to wittiness when badgering one another as sports fans should (c'mon, like no one has accused a Cowboys fan of being mental).

Additionally, folks like Barno are more informed about the program than the WP writers. GV is back, the Terps have a chance to be an elite team....if Burney is a player. Hopefully we'll see more consistency in terms of effort and successful execution this year. I do agree with Poopy and PeteCard and some of the others who have been accused of being the same person - the team, starting with GW, needs to avoid the crap games (first Duke game, last UVA game) and late game slip-ups this year. That is more than partially about coaching.

and if lance stephenson has a MONSTER year, than I bet a few folks will be moaning on how GW screwed up and did not sign him.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | June 29, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Barno likes to apply some double-standards no?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 24, 2009 2:08 PM

I don't see how criticizing Etan Thomas's deragatory comments while standing up for Gary Williams' coaching ability equates to hypocrisy in any way. I'm guessing you were on mushrooms again when you came up with that?

What an idiot

Posted by: Barno1 | June 29, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Stephenson finally commits....to Cincy. We weren't recruiting him at this point anyway, but glad we can't put this sh*t to rest once and for all.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 30, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Barno -

because cincy has NEVER had any issues with their players or recruiting in the past...Funny, Cincy was never mentioned as one of his choices. The kid may have really messed up his future prospects by waiting to commit. I like the Terps team heading into next season. I hope you are right about Burney and the team stays healthy.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | July 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Matt Pilgrim on campus today. Seems to have potential, although I haven't read much about him. Hope he's ready to really work on his game if he ends up at Maryland.

Posted by: jake177 | July 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse