2009 ACC Football Preseason Poll

The media has spoken -- or at least 87 media members -- and Maryland was picked to finish fifth out of six teams in the ACC Atlantic Division in the annual preseason poll. Virginia Tech is the preseason favorite to win the conference with 69 total votes. The Hokies received 78 votes as the top team in the Coastal Division, while Florida State received 56 votes to win the Atlantic Division. Clemson, North Carolina State and Wake Forest also received first-place votes in Atlantic; Georgia Tech was the only other team to receive votes in the Coastal.

Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer narrowly defeated Clemson running back C.J. Spiller for preseason player of the year. N.C. State quarterback Russell Wilson finished third.

Here is the full ballot, with regional schools/players in bold:

2009 ACC Football Preseason Predictions

Atlantic Division
1. Florida State (56)
2. Clemson (14)
3. North Carolina State (10)
4. Wake Forest (7)
5. Maryland
6. Boston College

Coastal Division
1. Virginia Tech (78)
2. Georgia Tech (9)
3. North Carolina
4. Miami
5. Virginia
6. Duke

2009 Preseason ACC Player of the Year
1. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech (39)
2. C.J. Spiller, Clemson (28)
3. Russell Wilson, N.C. State (16)
4. Christian Ponder, Florida State (1)
Vic Hall, Virginia (1)
Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech (1)
Riley Skinner, Wake Forest (1)

By Zach Berman  |  July 27, 2009; 2:10 PM ET
Categories:  Football  | Tags: Jonathan Dwyer, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: T. Smith Aiming to Catch On
Next: Flip Saunders Was Almost a Terrapin

Comments

Maryland is going to win the ACC tournament in football and go on to win their Sugar Bowl game against Alabama on January 1, 2010

Posted by: Sideswiped | July 27, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, who cares about these polls? These so called experts are wrong every year--this season won't be any different. There is no chance Md will finish as low as 5th in the division. None.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Either way, the results are very insulting. I hope the players can use it in their favor. BC is only in last place because they have no QB. Wake and NC State? I would consider them in a 3-way tie with MD at best.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

5th is actually an improvement from most of the preview magazines, who have the Terps 6th. I don't think Fridge minds that no one expects anything from them. They have a lot of their big games at home - let's just see how they do. The lines are going to have to get good quickly.

Clehhhmmmmmmpsuuuhhhn will choke again.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 27, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

if a Fridge coached team finishes fifth...he will be the first to tell you he is gone!

Posted by: jkburchjr | July 27, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Maryland is being seriously underrated by the ACC media as much as FSU is being overrated. Bobby is going into what will probably be his last year with the 'Noles and he has a team that is really young at a lot of skill positions.

The Terps will probably finish 2nd or 3rd in the division at 8-4 with losses to Cal on the road, FSU on the road, NCState on the road, and VaTech at home. Turner and Scott will blossom in their second full seasons in Franklin's offense, and with the emmergence of Megget and Green, Scott will not be asked to carry all of the load causing injury. The defense will be significantly improved with Cosh's system GONE!!! The defense has the players to attack, and with a very strong secondary, the Terps will probably load up with 8 in the box more often than not.

I don't think the Terps have quite enough to win the division (place kicking could be a significant weakness), though another win against Cal to start the season could build a lot of confidence. The Terps will play respectable football throughout the year and should land in an upper tier bowl (Chick Fil-A or Gator).

Posted by: Russtinator | July 27, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jkburchjr | July 27, 2009 4:56 PM

Not really. I think he'd be the first to tell you his overall record at MD if we finished 5th. No way does Fridge leave on a sour note.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 27, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of record, this will be Fridge's last year....

Posted by: iamasofaking | July 28, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

i think uncle ralph now realizes that it is time to go. That may be a good thing because he does not want to retire on a losing tone.

That calif game really scares me. If we can get off to a good start i see us wining the first 8 games... going into the state game.

If we lose the calif game we may be in trouble because of our youth..

FEAR THE TURTLE

Posted by: carolina1 | July 28, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea how good this team will be. Wins against Va and MTSU and this was a 10-win team last year.

Plus, I don't know if getting new guys on the o-line is necessarily a bad thing.

I do know getting a defense that will not stay on the field 3/4 of every game will be an improvement.

This team will be between 6-6 and 9-3. That is what makes MD football so enjoyable and so painful.

Posted by: kozora | July 28, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I agree carolina1. That Cal game could be awesome or a nightmare. The big question mark in my mind is the offensive line. I hope those guys come together. I really like Turner, the WRs, and Brown's defense. I predict 8-4, but can see anything from 6-6 to 10-2. Go Terps!

Don't forget to watch Terrapins Rising tonight on Comcast Sportsnet.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | July 28, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

To those who look forward to Fridge leaving - bring back Duffner! You're crazy. The Fridge is MD Football at this point. Fifth will be a pipe dream if he leaves.

Posted by: bflorhodes | July 28, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

uhhh - its a preseason poll. Given that fact, I say 12-0 and a National Championship until proven otherwise.

btw -the ACC was not that good last year and likely isn't that great this year. That said, beating Va Tech is loooong overdue.

Posted by: HughGRection | July 28, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

And in case you have not seen it in a while....

Posted by: HughGRection | July 28, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

You heard it here first: Terps in the ACC Championship Game. How many years in a row are they gonna underrate the Terps before they learn?

Posted by: aviscardo | July 28, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm predicting 8-4, starting out 7-2 until dropping 2 of the last 3 games.

Posted by: fushezzi | July 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I see 8-4 as well. The media never learns with the Fridge, they always count his teams out and he always proves them wrong.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Though Fridge teams certainly like to step up against ranked teams (especially with Turner behind center) - I think Cal will give us a pounding. Tough Pacific start time, Cal want revenge, early season with a young Terps team... not looking good. But you never know!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 28, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Kev29, I hope you are wrong about cal pounding us but the game scaresme. I did write a comment to the Matador( someone on this site gave me the link) and he covers cal closely and says they do not have a qb SO if we can put a hit on Best like we did last year( remember he blew lunch right on the feild)we could be in great shape...10:00 pm start will make for a long day...Will be a day to PACE Yourself...

I will be real curious what the opening line will be (:

Posted by: carolina1 | July 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If the Terps beat Cal, the chances are good that they will start 8-0. The schedule favors them with 4 straight home games and 5 of the next 6. Terps will match up well with Clemson, Wake, and NC State. Plus, revenge will be on their minds as they get UVa and Mid Tenn at home. Going 8-0 as you go in to face VaTech and FSU is a very good place to be.

That's of course if Md beats Cal. Last year, the Bears totally underestimated Md and seemed jet lagged until midway through the 2nd half. Obviously they will not make that mistake again. But Md plays more intensely against teams that are ranked or heavily favored.

But even if the Terps lose against Cal, the season is not lost. It's better to lose early in season than late. I like the fact that people picked us to go last or next to last. When they do better, which they will, then I can go to all the "prognosticators" all the petecards & poopys, and all the other haters out there and say, "How ya like me now?"

Posted by: ecglotfelty | July 28, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of record, this will be Fridge's last year....

Posted by: iamasofaking | July 28, 2009 12:13 AM

What are you basing this on? Fridge is in the best shape he's been in in 20 years. He's lost close to 100 lbs. His team was in 1st place in the division heading into the home finale last year. His vision of an expanded Byrd Stadium is finally becoming a reality. And he just had a very solid recruiting class.

All signs point to him staying.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 28, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under Terps Wins this year: 7.0

The Fushezzi Gambling window has officially opened for the season.

Posted by: fushezzi | July 28, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Big on the over

Posted by: Barno1 | July 28, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Despite this, Birmingham is a good town.

Posted by: Colm1 | July 29, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Fuhhezzi, Hmmm over or under 7 I will go with over...

are you related to fedrizzi clan??

Posted by: carolina1 | July 29, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Barno once again is ALL IN for the coach.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of the Fridge. He has done a very good and consistent job and he does it at a place that has a real disadvantage in football, mostly because prep football is just not that great in the heart of the maryland recruiting area and we will never compete nationally for the best players.

That's unlike basketball where Gary simply has no excuses.

But, I go back to my theory that Barno is in fact GW himself!

Posted by: petecard | July 30, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Pete -

Gotta say I like GW more than the Fridge...and I like 'em both. college basketball is better than pro basketball and far more difficult to win in it all since a team actually has to go out AND win it all (until Obama forces the playoff fro football). GW has done it and came real close to doing it the year before. MD football won the ACC outright by backing in (remember, NC State beat FL State that year) in Fridge's first year.

That said, the football Terps win fairly consistently. Believe that the program could be national contenders with a little luck. The team has certainly has a ton of alumni in the NFL so I'm not sure that recruiting talent is that much of a problem. To reach the next level they need to get rid of the stupid losses (MTSU, UVA), and win a few against the likes of VA Tech and FL State. Typically they do beat one of the better teams in the ACC. O-line is the big question mark along with Kicker.

It is amazing tht a lot of the GW bashers expect nothing less than a NC or at least 25 wins. I think we all agree that 10-3 for the year (including a bowl win would be fantastic for this football team.

Still sticking to my prediction - 13-0 and the NC until proven otherwise....

Posted by: HughGRection | July 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Technically, a NC would include an ACC championship so I amend my earlier predictions to 14-0 and a NC until proven otherwise...and would be happy with 10 wins (incl. a bowl game) otherwise.

Posted by: HughGRection | July 30, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

No way a Ralph Friedgen coached team finishes fifth. Especially one that has a veteran QB. 8-4 seems about right but 14-0 would be sweet.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 31, 2009 3:11 AM | Report abuse