Armstrong Leaves Team
Maryland nose tackle Dion Armstrong, who was waiting to learn whether he would be academically eligible for the season, has left the team, Coach Ralph Friedgen said Thursday.
Armstrong, a 6-foot-1, 303-pound sophomore, started the final three games of the regular season and was projected as a starter this season if he had been ruled academically eligible.
“He came in this morning, thanked me and said he was sorry he disappointed me,” Friedgen said. “He said he was going to transfer.”
The loss of Armstrong marks the latest setback for a defensive line that is among Friedgen’s biggest concerns heading into the season. Redshirt freshman A.J. Francis is expected to be the starter now at nose tackle.
In recent days, Friedgen said that Armstrong, who had been practicing with Maryland, had not come to camp in the best shape. Regarding Armstrong’s departure, Friedgen said, “It’s time to move on. We have to worry about kids who want to be here.”
August 13, 2009; 8:33 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: QB Aside, Which Player Can Maryland Least Afford to Lose?
Next: Defensive Line Concern
Posted by: Barno1 | August 14, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.