Cal in a Blowout?

Hey, everyone knows the Sept. 5 season-opener promises to be a bit challenging for Maryland. The Terrapins – the very young Terrapins -- are flying across the country to play a late-night game against a nationally ranked California team that has its sights set on knocking off Southern California and winning the Pac-10 title. Oh, yeah, California also would like a little revenge after that 35-27 loss at Byrd Stadium on Sept. 13. And Heisman hopeful Jahvid Best would no doubt like to redeem himself after Kevin Barnes made him throw up on the field in the first half.

Anyone see the line on the game? Cal is favored by 21.5 points.

Anyone thinks that’s a bit too much respect given to Cal? Or is the margin about right at this point? Yes, I could see Maryland getting run off the field in Berkeley, Calif., but I am not ready to predict that. Maryland does have a senior quarterback who plays particularly well against good teams and a revamped defense likely to at least fluster opponents at the outset. I’m not saying Maryland will win this game; I just think it’s too early to say it will be a rout. Cal still has some issues at quarterback. No one out there seems sold on QB Kevin Riley yet, and the wide receivers need to show they have taken a step forward, as well. But the defense is stout and Best is probably the nation's most explosive player. (Forget the probably.)

Some Maryland players are pretty fed up about being discounted this season in general.

“I hate being counted out,” senior defensive back Jamari McCollough said, “but I like surprising people and leaving people shocked. I like to shut people up.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  August 11, 2009; 12:48 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Defensive Line Shuffling
Next: Checking In With Scott

Comments

By most explosive, do you mean in terms of projectile vomiting?

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | August 11, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

This could be a good thing - the Terps seem to perform much better when they are doubted or the underdog. I'd much rather them feel disrespected (so they'll prove the prognosticators wrong) than receive praise/kudos - then they get cocky and fall flat!

Go Terps - can't wait for KO on 9/5!

Posted by: TerpGrad | August 11, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Maryland +21.5 might be the easiest money made all season.

Money in the Bank

Posted by: fushezzi | August 11, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Are there any Terp faithful going to Vegas in the next 3 to 4 days??? I would sure like to lock in that line.. Mark this post.. By game time it will be down 13

Posted by: carolina1 | August 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Mark this post.. By game time it will be down 13

Posted by: carolina1 | August 11, 2009 3:51 PM

Carolina1, you've demonstrated many times on this blog your sheer stupidity, but this one takes the cake. Outside of Cal's starting QB and RB being out with injuries, there is no chance whatsoever that the line will move 8.5 points between now and game time.

As for the 21.5 pt spread, I believe this is the most the Terps have been underdogs by in the Fridge era. I recall a 21 pt spread at Vtech was the previous high.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 11, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think that spread is ridiculous. Expect MD to come out big again, with Darel Scott running roughshod over Cal.

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | August 11, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

We were 20 plus point dogs to Fla State in 2004. We beat the crap out of them. Went to that game. Josh Allen was da man.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | August 11, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, I really have to chuckle at your comments. Your comments are a reflection of your character. You seem to make statements off the wall and then can never back them up with facts.However if you would like to make a friendly wager i am all for it. I say it will be 13 to 13.5

As far as stupidy i sure hope you did not graduate from maryland if you did it was probably some off the wall degree..

Also before you comment... I had dinner with the Dean of the Business School here in raleigh so i am a terp and did graduate from the The Robert H Smith school of business. And Dean Anandalingam agreed that is an accomplishment

Your post comments are welcome and i look forward to your bet.

You can pay me at the first game i have a numbered VIP SPOT SO I WILL NOT BE HARD TO FIND...

Chow

Posted by: carolina1 | August 12, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys. Grew up in DC area (to the extent I did grow up)and followed the Terps. I even liked Tom Nugent. But now I am a Bear Backer. Terps have no chance. Give the points and bet on Cal to crush Md. This is a revenge game and the Bears don't lose at Memorial.
I expect something like this will happen in the locker room before the game with the Terps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_fShwQlANc

Posted by: pompusone2000 | August 13, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 11, 2009 4:02 PM

We were 20 plus point dogs to Fla State in 2004.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | August 11, 2009 10:37 PM

Actually, we were just 13 point underdogs in that game. Please don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 15, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Your post comments are welcome and i look forward to your bet.

Chow

Posted by: carolina1 | August 12, 2009 9:48 AM

Guy, you name the amount, I will bet you any amount within reason that short of an injury to the starting QB or RB the spread will not be 13.5 or lower for the Cal-Md game. You know where I sit, where do you sit, so I can come find you to collect?

Posted by: Barno1 | August 15, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse