Do You Agree With this Reader's Email?
A reader sent me an email Friday, a few days after our story on the decline of season ticket sales. I received permission from the reader to post the email (without the name), and wanted to see if most fans agree with the assessment. I think the reader sums up the feelings of many fans very well. And this was sent before the loss to Rutgers.
September 25, 2009
Mr. Eric Prisbell
C/O The Washington Post
I read the recent article on the Maryland Football Program and thought it was very accurate. I have been a Season Ticket holder for many years and as much as I bleed for Maryland, the last few years have been disappointing to say the least. I do go for the family time with my daughters and that is great, but for all the money they have put into the facility and program, the results are less then expected. Not that I expect a National Championship, but how about competing for an ACC title once every few years? I don’t think it will happen.
I put together the following just to see if my feelings are correct, I think it shows that the program is in a mediocre status and this year looks about the same.
1. The first 3 years averaged – 10 wins and 79% winning percentage
2. The last 5 years averaged – 6.4 wins and 52% winning percentage
3. The last 5 years compared to the 10 years before Ralph came to Maryland we are now only averaging 2.7 wins more a season.
4. So we go from averaging 3.7 wins per season Pre Ralph to 6.4 the last 5 years and I’ve been generous not adding in this season which makes it look worse.
5. Are 6.4 wins a year good – yes, is that what we are expecting? No, and that is due to their PR machine telling us they are big time. For all the money he is paid $1.7 million, the cost of tickets and the money poured into the stadium, it equates to mediocre.
Posted by: aviscardo | September 28, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jack51 | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: putnam23 | September 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: blinders1 | September 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | September 28, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: jimf5 | September 28, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: beardown29 | September 29, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.