Do You Agree With this Reader's Email?

A reader sent me an email Friday, a few days after our story on the decline of season ticket sales. I received permission from the reader to post the email (without the name), and wanted to see if most fans agree with the assessment. I think the reader sums up the feelings of many fans very well. And this was sent before the loss to Rutgers.

September 25, 2009

Mr. Eric Prisbell

C/O The Washington Post

Eric,

I read the recent article on the Maryland Football Program and thought it was very accurate. I have been a Season Ticket holder for many years and as much as I bleed for Maryland, the last few years have been disappointing to say the least. I do go for the family time with my daughters and that is great, but for all the money they have put into the facility and program, the results are less then expected. Not that I expect a National Championship, but how about competing for an ACC title once every few years? I don’t think it will happen.

I put together the following just to see if my feelings are correct, I think it shows that the program is in a mediocre status and this year looks about the same.

1. The first 3 years averaged – 10 wins and 79% winning percentage

2. The last 5 years averaged – 6.4 wins and 52% winning percentage

3. The last 5 years compared to the 10 years before Ralph came to Maryland we are now only averaging 2.7 wins more a season.

4. So we go from averaging 3.7 wins per season Pre Ralph to 6.4 the last 5 years and I’ve been generous not adding in this season which makes it look worse.

5. Are 6.4 wins a year good – yes, is that what we are expecting? No, and that is due to their PR machine telling us they are big time. For all the money he is paid $1.7 million, the cost of tickets and the money poured into the stadium, it equates to mediocre.

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 28, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Punter Baltz Likely Out at Least Two Weeks
Next: Maryland's Big Problem: The Future

Comments

I'd like to know how long this guy was a season ticket holder. I'm guessing, not from around, oh, 1988-2000. Any of those seasons, we would have gone nuts for 6 wins. The highlight of the 12 years before Fridge got here was a birth in the Pollan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl against Louisiana Tech which ended in a tie! The Fridge is the only reason he got those season tickets!

Posted by: aviscardo | September 28, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

If you get ruid of Fridge we have Franklin who is over rated and calls inappropriate plays at the worst times. I have had season tix for years but I am sick of the same old excuses so I think this is it. For sure if Franklin is HC, I am gone.

Posted by: jack51 | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Agree with viscardo 100%. Get off Ralph's back - MD is not a national title contender. Now, that doesn't mask the fact that this year has been an utter disappointment, but you still have to give Ralph the benefit of the doubt considering where this program was 10 years ago...

You'll know how many 'true' MD fans there are going forward - by how many folks are in the stands. The fairweathers need not show up to Byrd. Stay home and look forward to basketball season - where us true MD fans will welcome you back to the bandwagon with what should be a Sweet-16-capable squad on the hardwood this year.

Posted by: putnam23 | September 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think Fridge needs to regain the 105 lbs, that will take the terps at least back to being respectable.

Now, if he were to gain 50 lbs on top of that I think we could be looking at ACC championship potential. Everyone has greater respect for someone who is comfortable with their figure rather than someone who obviously desires to be different than what they are. Embrace your true self and the success shall follow!

Also, bench Turner I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel with a QB who has basically a career 1:1 td:int ratio. Does Steffy have any eligibility left?

Posted by: blinders1 | September 28, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Viscardo and Putnam are right. And how bout this comment from the anonymous email:

"Not that I expect a National Championship, but how about competing for an ACC title once every few years?"

How bout you pay attention? We've competed for the ACC title in 2 of last 3 years, and 5 of last 8.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 28, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought this blog posting from TurtleWaxing last year was a great assessment of why the program has fallen.

Posted by: jimf5 | September 28, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

a couple of comments on this blog--Locksley left in 2002 and franklin left in 2004. then the O and D coordinators left after 2005. So the observed drop off in talent seems to be as a result of losing these gentlemen--lost the handle on the recruiting--from a standpoint of depth. And depth is the issue here--we dont have much. if you want to see wha t depth means, please see Notre Dame this seasonas opposed to the previous years. it has taken weis 4 years to build depth in his roster and it is starting to show results. Finally, the money was pored into Byrd in 1990, 1991 and 1994 as a result of Andy Geiger, then AD, seeing that the whole place was falling apart. Since then, there has been an addition to the football house and some screens, prior to the new press box. That is a gap of 15 years when not too much was done. At the same time, everybody else passed us by. The reason nothing was done after the Orange Bowl visit was that Comcast was being planned and built--no money. Please remember how we got hammered in the Orange Bowl by a team that had a deeper talent base than we did--Vanderlinden's recruits that were coached up by a very good coach. Put up the upper deck in the west end zone to create great atmosphere, build the indoor practice facility promised to Bobby Ross 25 years ago and the recruits will believe that MD wants to really win, not just compete. Until then, a very good man--a Maryland Man--has a melting ice cube in his hands as he watches every thing he has worked for to 9 years slip away because the school cant give him the tools to get enough top drawer players into his program. are we Penn or Penn State in football??

Posted by: beardown29 | September 29, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse