Friedgen Backs Off 'Emotional' Comments

I wrote a story that is in today’s newspaper to follow up on Maryland’s 32-31 loss to Middle Tennessee. Now, I really don’t consider the outcome an upset. Some may disagree with me, but I felt it could have gone either way. I said that before the game. I felt Maryland would win by three points, 33-30. I had the 63 total points correct, but got the winner wrong.

Not too much of note came out of Ralph Friedgen’s Sunday teleconference with reporters.

Friedgen said he doesn’t really get involved with talking about the boos from the crowd. I always find it interesting when college crowds boo their teams. Are they booing the coaches or the college kids? And even if they are booing the coaches, how are the kids supposed to know?

I asked Friedgen about his plans to be tougher on the team this week. He backed away from that a little bit -- saying he was a bit emotional -- and said he is somewhat tolerant of youthful mistakes as long as the kids keep working hard. But he did said it’s time for everyone to grow up and get better.

He thought cornerback Cameron Chism played pretty well in his first game starting at corner, although he did get beat on the critical pass play in the game’s final minute.

As for injuries, Friedgen said there is an outside chance he could get some guys back this week. But it seems like safety Jamari McCollough (high ankle sprain) and left tackle Bruce Campbell (turf toe) could very well be out again when the Terrapins host Rutgers on Saturday.

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 21, 2009; 11:53 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Your Choice For Head Coach Next Season
Next: Maryland-Clemson, Noon, ESPNU

Comments

MD beats Rutgers. If they don't, I will never make another prediction on here again.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

That's not exactly a bold prediction. Cincinnati made Rutgers look like a Division III team earlier in the year. These two teams are very evenly matched.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I wonder when the Terps will win their first game of the year?

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder when the Terps will win their first game of the year?

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 1:40 PM

I'm going to dust off my crystal ball and say that they'll win their first game on 9/12/09.

What do I win?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, counting JMU! An overtime win vs. a 1-AA team! I guess that does make Maryland "better" than other teams in the dumps right now.

Right now the Terps are "1" - 2.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I love this new guy brokenclipboard. He's never posted before now and after our worst loss under Fridge he comes on here all over the place today. He's making idiotic comment after idiotic comment and when he makes a mistake about us not winning a game yet and gets called out on it, instead of admitting he was wrong he acts like that win shouldn't count.

Go away dude.

Posted by: brianxp | September 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

From 1985-2001 the Terps went to 1 bowl game, a tie in the 1990 Independence bowl.

From 2001-2008 we went to 6 bowl games. There is one man responsible for this and some shortsighted fairweather fans want him gone 3 games into a season where we were not expected to be good.

You don't like the Fridge, you don't like MD football.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 10:22 AM
==============================

Of course that has nothing to do with there being 9-billion more bowl games now than there were in in 80's/90's. Nothing at all.

Only in Barno's world are 6-5, 7-5 records and their subsequent bowl games considered "successful" seasons.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Poop, only one of our six bowls was a 6 win team and wouldn't have garnered a bowl appearance back in the day. I know you became a fan of Terps football once Fridge got here and it's difficult for you to imagine what it was like pre-Fridge. But at the same time, anyone who became a fan of this team post 2001 really needs to STFU about firing the man.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2009 2:36 PM

Even by current standards, the Terps would have only been bowl eligible in 1986, 1990 and 1995. We were looking at 2 and 3 win teams back in the dark age.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 21, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Actually Barno I'm fully aware of pre-Fridge football since I almost got run over on campus by Vanderlinden one day walking to class as he was speeding around UMD in his sweet ride. Not to mention the afternoons/evenings I spent at Byrd watching teams coached by said person.

Of course, .500-Fridge had his best seasons with Vanderlinden recruits but facts like that don't matter to some.

So you can take your sanctimonious, I'm-the-best-fan-UMD-ever-had attitude and.......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I really thought that the combination of the youth, Fridge's weight loss, senior QB and new D would energize this team. I hope this is just another slow start. I think Fridge deserves another year so we can see how his improved health and coach-in-waiting will help the recruiting.

Posted by: garrett4 | September 21, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2009 3:10 PM

I am not the best fan UMD ever had...hell I'm not even the best UMD fan that I know...that would be the original Terry Terrapin, Johnny Skidmarks.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 21, 2009 3:10 PM

Fridge winning with Vanderlinden recruits...gee I seem to have heard that line before. Poop, do you have any original thoughts of your own or do you just take other people's arguments and pawn them off as your own?

By the way, last I checked, Fridge won with these guys his first 3 seasons...NONE of whom were signed by Vanderlinden and nearly all made it to the NFL

Scott McBrien
Josh Wilson
Madieu Williams
Derrick Miller
Wesley Jefferson
Dre Moore

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I went to every freaking game from 1999 to the start of this season, ie as long as I've been a fan and when I went to Maryland and graduated.

Keep up with the snarky comments bud. A three point win over JMU is not a win.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"I've been around here for years bud...and making TRUE statements, such as Shaun Hill was absolutely not a Friedgen recruit."

No one said he was, guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

terps and rutgers must be even!!

Point srread 3 !!!

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I've been a fan since 1974, so I have witnessed the highs and lows of Maryland football.

I would place Friedgen below Claiborne and Ross, but above Vanderlinden, Duffner, and the the guy who took over after Ross.

So that puts Ralph slightly above average.

If you are always comparing to Duffner, any coach is going to look great. But if you look back past the 90s, you'll see that Maryland has enjoyed some success. During the Ross and Claiborne years, the Terps were often one of the top teams in the ACC.

We need to back the team as fans and strive for the best, but we shouldn't accept mediocrity either. I can't think of a viable reason why we can't be a consistent winner in the ACC. We should be thrashing teams like James Madison even in a rebuilding year.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 21, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The measuring stick for success for a program should no longer be that you made a bowl game. There are twice as many bowl games now as 20 years ago. Also, with a 12-game schedule, teams schedule four non-conference games - three of which are usually easy wins. So as long as you go .500 in the conference, you've made a bowl.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 21, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

"He said there were 26 plays he watched closely on tape, and if one of those plays goes the other way, Maryland wins."

So, Maryland squandered 26 chances to win this game, going 0-26 in the process?

Yes, I know Ralph's point was to illustrate how close they are, but really, Middle Tennessee State is the kind of school a good BCS team hangs 35 on and doesn't blink.

Posted by: kingrob76 | September 21, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

i love these folks that talk about Fridge winning with Vandy's recruits.

Why couldn't Vandy win with Vandy's recruits?

Answer: He sucked as a head coach.

Sucky coaching leads to sucky players.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | September 21, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

establishing me "street creds" here, which seems necessary to many, i've been following the Terps in WaPo, since Lester was the football coach & attended HS with the Jim & Skip Ward & Chuckie. i began listening to Terps football games on the radio when Claiborne was there. my brother is an alum, but i went elsewhere.

that said, i hope Ralph retires after the season. he's poorly served by his current crop of assistants and doesn't seem to reach the kids the way he once did. i honor him for his contributions to the school, but fear its time for fresh blood, which means kicking Franklin to the curb.

Posted by: mdrockjock | September 22, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I know a couple of kids that made it to the NFL from Md and truthfully how good did they become at MD? i think many have been drafted for their raw talent and skill but how much is really attributable to MD, and how many have excelled at the NFL level. Look at Vernon Davis a TE running a 4.3 40-yard dash. he got bigger but how much did he improve as a football player. Look at the linemen on the Redskin's roster. they make the team but how good are they? What upside do they have. Same for the DBs. who's truly special out of the bunch. Shawn Merriman started 1-year at MD and went on to be a top 10 pick. didn't see the shawn merriman he is now at MD.

Posted by: oknow1 | September 22, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse