Have You Changed Your Mind about the Terps?

Well, you are reading this as I fly back from Oakland today. This was indeed the worst-case scenario for Maryland, a 52-13 loss in which both lines looked severely overmatched. I would have been more surprised by a Maryland victory than this outcome, but I still expected the Terrapins to put on a better show. I expected some big plays from Maryland on both sides of the ball.

I knew there would be an overreaction among some fans if the Terps got blown away, and it seems like that has occurred. No one has expected greatness from this team, and it remains on track to win six or seven games and head into the EagleBank Bowl. The ACC is as mediocre as any power conference has been in recent memory, dating back to the Big East’s middling days five years ago.

So I still say this team wins six or seven. The rout has not changed my preseason forecast. Has it changed yours?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 7, 2009; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ferrara to Kick, Wiseman to Return Punts
Next: About the ACC

Comments

Terps are in Big trouble!! Cal is a very good football team however maryland did not show up...Cal backed off after halftime or the score would have been a lot worse... We will win the next two games but by a slim margin...2-1 Rutgers will dominate...2-2 Clemson will come to town and dominate on both sides of the line...2-3 Wake close...3-3 Va 4-3....Duke...5-3 and thats it...State 4-4 fsu---4-5...Va tech will be nightmare, embarsement...Tickets for sale... 4-6 FSU...4-7...bc... 4-8...So long Ralph do not let the door hit ya in the butt...

Posted by: carolina1 | September 7, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Man, we'd really be in big trouble if the players gave up on the season as easily as the deadbeats from rival states who come on our blog claiming to be Terrapin Club boosters. Nostradamus here also thought the point spread would drop from 21.5 to 3 points by kickoff, so don't go putting too much stock into his retarded rants. (Especially when he has us at 5-3 after the Duke game but somehow 4-8 by the end of the season. Guy is a little slow, to say the least)

Posted by: Barno1 | September 7, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Thank Barno the turd (with peanuts in them)..

That is called maryland math..

At least i live in a state that does not have crime,confusion and turd Red necks like you...

Please have go have a wedgee..with cream and a towel

Posted by: carolina1 | September 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I didn't have high expectations for the Terps this season and the loss didn't surprise me. I think they can have a winning season, but it's going to be an uphill climb. One thing's for sure, Maryland will never be a national contender until they recruit better players.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 7, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Didn't expect to win and was afraid that a great offensive squad would pick apart the blitzes... Still think terps will win 7 or 8. Biggest concern was when Best broke out for the 75 yarder, our DB slowed him down by being in front of the blocking WR, yet no one else on D was giving chase. There should at least been another Terp in the camera frame.

Posted by: mcmelton | September 8, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Thought the game would have been a little closer, but it just shows how big plays, turnovers, and penalties can doom a team (Especially a young one). The line (Both sides of the ball) need to really setup and show improvement from week to week. This is only 1 game (Against the best all around team I believe MD will face this year) and there are some winnable games the next 7 weeks (JMU, MTSU, Rutgers, Wake, Duke, and UVA - Clemson being the only game I doubt we can win, but it is at home) before their bye. I am not too worried about the offense (Other than the line), but I think the defense needs to really step up their game (Secondary got beat too easily and the LBs, Wujciak especially, looked very slow). I didn't see the pressing defense that people have been raving about in spring/summer. But no need to press the panic button yet since there are another 11 games left.

Posted by: djwilbur1 | September 8, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

uhhh - I predict a full turn-around. 13-1 and playing AND the NC after all the top contenders lose. Until proven otherwise...

Look, they will likely get to a bowl game this year. This, at least, was not a stupid loss (like MTSU last year). I hat to think the Chris Turner - being experienced and talented - has his senior year wasted b/c of other deficiencies on the team. He actually looked accurate and made the right decisions (given that he was running for his life) under stress. Hope he got that burger he wanted when he was out there.

Posted by: HughGRection | September 8, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

it is time to hold the coaching staff accountable for these goof ups. this is the FIFTH time in three years, we were not ready to play ball....that falls with the coaches, and I said last week that was going to deciding factor of whether our Terps win or at least look competitive. Enough excuses for the coaching staff in College Park.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | September 8, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I say this as a local sports fan. MD has talent. the biggest problem with our local teams is our media coverage. they simply sugar coat the message given by the teams. We never hold our teams accountable or ask probing questions.

Whoever this guy is seems to be apologizing for getting crushed and selling the hype at the same time. 7 wins over who? when the entire conference looks bad, how good or big is 7 wins. we see this with the Big 10 every year.

the problem at MD is the coaching is inconsistent. These kids lay eggs in games where they should be up. Look at how they finish every year versus how they start. The loses to Northern Illinois, Delaware, Navy and MTSU should not happen. I remember the MTSU game and these guy looked like they could not run a basic off tackle play, nor a simple crossing pattern. they outweighed MTSU by 20-lbs per position. then later in the year, they play Clemson and look like the 49ers out there. that's coaching folks!

Posted by: oknow1 | September 8, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

"The loses to Northern Illinois, Delaware, Navy and MTSU should not happen. "

MD didn't lose to Delaware or Navy. The OT loss at Northern Illinois was painful, but that particular Northern Illinois team went 10-2 with a win over Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Don't have a problem with your sentiment but your facts need some work.

Posted by: mcmelton | September 9, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I definitely didn't think the Terps would win the game, but was hoping they would be a little more comeptitive as I sat in Berkley watching them get run over by backups. There were a couple of pivotal plays that didn't help out the Terps. Obviously, the fumbled kickoff was the beginning of the end, but more importantly, the ineligible receiver downfield flag on the touchdown in the first quarter made a HUGE difference in the momentum of the game. The final nail in the coffin was Cal's touchdown just before the half that was a result of a botched assignment by Nolan Carrol, and two missed holding calls that gave the QB time to get the ball 40 yards downfield.

I chalk up the poor second half to a totally demoralized team that probably felt like they needed to be within two scores at half to have a chance in the game, and they were already getting blown out. I see a lot of promise in this team, and considering the weak ACC (granted that Miami/FSU game looked really good) and a favorable home scheduled (Clemson and VT at home), the Terps "should" still be able to finish the season with 8 wins.

Posted by: Russtinator | September 9, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse