Make Your Predictions Here

Okay, prediction time. I’m only 2-1 on the season so far because, while I got the point total correct last week, I picked the wrong winner. This game against Rutgers is very difficult to forecast. To be honest, I don’t like how either team is playing. This is more of a desperation game for Maryland, and I like the Terrapins. Barely.

Maryland 24, Rutgers 20.

I thought Rutgers’s defense would be even better than it has been. I thought the Scarlet Knights' offensive line would be much better. And who knows if and how much freshman quarterback Tom Savage will play. Rutgers has had trouble running the ball, as well.

I do think Maryland’s defense showed some improvement last week. It just got worn down from being on the field for 82 snaps against Middle Tennessee. Running back Da’Rel Scott and wide receiver Adrian Cannon need to play better. I think they will.

What’s everyone else think about this one? It’s a critical game a week before the schedule gets much tougher with Clemson coming to College Park.

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 25, 2009; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell, McCollough Probable
Next: Poll: Which Team Does a Better Job Keeping Local Talent at Home

Comments

Here's a prediction: I'm not staying glued to my computer for 3 1/2 hours to keep tabs on this vomit-fest.

Posted by: cao091402 | September 25, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 19 Rutgers 6

Posted by: erniegogo | September 25, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

UMd 28 Rutgers 14. Scott has a big game.

Posted by: aviscardo | September 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

why is there always a 3rd (or 4th or 5th or more) stupid option on these polls?

Posted by: sargeantmofo | September 25, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

SARGEANTMOFO:

The reason I include "stupid" options on these polls is because I am trying to keep things interesting both for myself and for fans as we all continue to follow a very average (or below average) college football team. I understand full well that neither team that will take the Byrd Stadium field tomorrow is very good, which is why I included that option. Sorry you did not like the third option.

I think I am going to start responding to some of these comments more, also to keep things interesting for myself and others. So fire away!

-- Eric Prisbell

Posted by: Eric Prisbell | September 25, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to say that everything finally comes together on both sides of the ball, and a potentially muddy track favors Maryland's run game.

35-17 Terps

Posted by: Russtinator | September 25, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

UMD 27 Rutgers 24

Covers the spread so I can drink at Bentleys free afterward.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Uh oh. You've done it now Sargeant. EP's coming out of his cage!

Posted by: fushezzi | September 25, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I was going to do a poll on whether our football/basketball coverage is too negative, but I'll save that for next week. That said, if anyone has any questions/comments, please fire away. I need to finish this preview story, but I'll be checking back.

Posted by: Eric Prisbell | September 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

This game will be sloppy, much like my tailgate.

Posted by: garrett4 | September 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Terps win an ugly game, 21-17, but rutgers has a chance at the end.

Prisbell, I emailed Yanda earlier this week to let him know four Terp basketball players were named scholar athletes. That is the type of piece Terps Insider should run-informative, newsworthy and a slice of good news about actual student athletes.

Posted by: jpfterps | September 25, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should have a monthly guest blogger who posts only positive information. I nominate jpfterps

Posted by: fushezzi | September 25, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Some of these bloggers on this site would pick the Terps by two touchdowns over LSU lol

But realistically, these two teams are even. Neither one of these teams has a defense to speak of. Cincinnati absolutely pummeled Rutgers 47-15 the first game of the year, while Maryland lost to California 52-13. I can't envision either team challenging for their respective conference championship.

Since I think home-field advantage still accounts for something, I'll pick the Terps 30-27.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 25, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

jpfterps, I think progress has been made with the basketball program academically. Yet, according to this Baltimore Sun article, the basketball program still falls below the norm.

"Working to get men's basketball to a score of 925 or higher in the Academic Progress Rate, which measures how well schools are keeping players on track to graduate. In May, the team's score was 912, which was below the average of 924 for all Division I men's basketball programs at public institutions."

If you want to look at teams with scholar athletes, the men's soccer and women's lacrosse team has plenty.

I know posters will try to rip my head off for being negative and a traitor. Perhaps members of the Terrapin Club should censor all blog posts for content?

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 25, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

imaterpsfan2,

I bet if someone saved your life by giving you the Heimlich maneuver you'd later sue them for hurting your ribs.

Enjoy that pessimistic view buddy.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 25, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

After last week's disappointing loss, I think Maryland is in for a losing season. I'm going with Rutgers 28-24.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse