Parody Twitter Account is Not Mine

Hello, everyone. This is Eric Prisbell. On Friday, someone alerted me to a Twitter account in my name that includes derogatory entries about coaches and others, and I have received a handful of e-mails since then about the account. I want to state unequivocally that I am not affiliated with the account, did not create it and have never seen the Web page. For that matter, I do not have a personal Twitter account, and those who know me best know that the last thing I would do is create a personal Twitter account. The only Maryland sports information from the Post that can be found on Twitter is at twitter.com/terpsinsider.

While I wholeheartedly embrace all multimedia components in my job and look forward to exploring even more creative ways to deliver news, analysis and stories to readers in the future, I made a conscious decision long ago not to engage in these activities on a personal level away from the workplace for a number of reasons.

A few people close to Maryland told me that the Twitter account was endorsed by fans at www.insidemdsports.com, the independent ESPN-affiliated Web site that covers Maryland. Maryland fans are great. I appreciate the fans’ creativity and applaud their passion. I am sorry that some were upset by the mention of their site in our recent story about reporters/fans from team-specific sites. But I believe exploring the ever-blurring line that separates fan from reporter is an issue that warrants coverage and scrutiny. It is a topic on the minds of many administrators these days, and a topic we may revisit in the future in part because we have received so much additional information about specific sites.

I have said for years that I encourage any scrutiny of my reporting or coverage. I have felt that if I am going to shine a light on another entity – be it a team, Web site or coach – then my reporting should be strong enough to withstand the same level of scrutiny. That’s why I believe transparency is so important and I make every attempt to answer all questions from readers. For obvious reasons, I choose not to interact with readers on a team-specific message board or social-networking site, but I welcome and encourage all e-mails, especially critical ones, because my sole goal is to make our coverage comprehensive, fair and accurate. E-mail me anytime at prisbelle@washpost.com. But if anyone tries to reach me on a personal Twitter account in my name, it will go unanswered because I will not be creating a personal account this century.

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 16, 2009; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Make Plans to Honor Carroll
Next: Maryland Official: Band Issue is a Non-Issue

Comments

Awww, you haven't responded to my e-mail yet. That makes me a sad panda.

Posted by: Colm1 | September 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

maybe Curtis Malone did it Eric. Why don't you check with him.

Posted by: reindeerterp | September 16, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was Lance Stephenson...upset that you blogged that some people questioned his eligibility.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

EP Do you ever wonder why these "controversies" do not occur with Patrick Stevens. He is not an attention wannabe Scott Templeton? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | September 16, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Maryland fan, but it seems highly unprofessional and childish to be battling back and forth with message board posters. Although it is amusing, I can't see you working for the Washington Post much longer. Your skin isn't thick enough for this business.

Posted by: Hokie58 | September 16, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Why are you trying to take on InsideMD? People were just laughing at it all and you are trying to pin it on the people of that website? Come on man, just because our opinion is poor of you and your "coverage" doesn't mean you have to try and take shots at the site with every chance you get. How about talking about something Terps have done rather than that website. Where in your job description does it ever say anything about trying to take on a independent website where Terp fans go to talk about the Sports teams and other things. Do your job and no one will be upset, but when you constantly lie about what you are going to cover and try to take down the atheltic department you are in charge of covering for The Washington Post and its readers. You cant expect people to not be upset or do things like this. Get over it and do your job.

Posted by: SinginTerp | September 16, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

What ever happened to the piece you promised us about the AAU circuit and the other shoe company's Eric? What happened to your other promises outside of the coverage of Maryland and trying to destroy its reputation? Maybe one day you will learn that if you piss off the people you are supposed to be covering and the information you are using is horribly slanted that people will be upset with you, and hopefully you will lose your job because in anything other than journalism you would if you did something like this.

Posted by: SinginTerp | September 16, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Eric,

Maybe you should look at why you were targeted. You are lazy at covering Maryland sports, and always raise unfounded suggestions of impropriety. Meanwhile, you just ignore the dirty tactics used by other coaches. Instead you try to make Ralph and Gary look bad.

It's pretty said that a "legitimate" news source like the Washington Post continually gets scooped by sites like Yahoo Sports.

So where's that story on AAU shadiness you promised us many months ago? (Even though we already realize it will be a half-baked fluff piece).

Posted by: Reader41 | September 16, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

EP - I would blame the Maryland band for this stunt. I heard they're a popular scapegoat as of late.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Actually, despite my joke above, I find it reprehensible that someone would take someone's name and attempt to slander it in a professional or personal manner. In this instance they are intertwined. I'm all for busting EP's chops for some past, rather ill-advised blogs but not in that manner. Why go thru twitter when you can bust his chops on here? Plus, EP is actually pretty good. It's not like it's Yanda we're talking about here.

One last note EP - don't promise anymore articles such as AAU, downfall of Georgetown program after NCAA final fun - it just gives people more to complain about. My advise, and I'm just your average blog and terp fan, is to just stick to uncovering interesting, positive stories. Negativity is the poison which kills dreams.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 16, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

does not compute

"That’s why I believe transparency is so important "

"A few people close to Maryland told me"

Posted by: cmich06 | September 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"I want to state unequivocally that I am not affiliated with the account, did not create it and have never seen the Web page."

Does anybody else see a problem with the last part of this sentence? I'm fine with the fact that he has nothing do do with it, but he has NEVER SEEN IT?

Wouldn't the first logical step be to at least look at the page so you can understand the situation? Shouldn't a reporter first try to get all of the relevant information before writing an article on something? Instead, he posts a column on something while bragging that he knows nothing about it!

Publishing articles without knowing what he is writing about really seems to be a trend with Mr. Prisbell.

Posted by: Reader41 | September 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

advice, not advise

Posted by: fushezzi | September 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I try not to come to this site (as I don't enjoy reading negative articles about my favorite college team and their coaches) but I just thought I would pop in and say that it is wholly unprofessional of you to call out InsideMDSports.com. The staff of IMS have openly spoke out against your fake Twitter being posted on their site and have locked all topics pertaining to it. Why does it always seem that you have an ax to grind?

Posted by: HMPAOF | September 16, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

You are a great reporter and writer, Eric. In fact you are so great at what you do that covering and abysmal program like Maryland that cheats so blatantly and has such hateful and basement-living fans is WELL below you. If I were you I would talk to your superiors about getting assigned to another beat immediately. On your way to a more important beat you should pulp everything you have written or were in the process of writing about Maryland because they don't deserve you.

Posted by: AbsurdTerp | September 16, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, lot of hate for Prisbell on here. Here's my two cents...there's probably no fan who is more obsessed with how the local teams are covered than ole Barno here. And I have no problem calling out a reporter from time to time. But I must say the criticisms of Prisbell are way off base.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, he's got no anti-MD agenda and is by far the best Terps beat reporter to cover the team for the WaPo in my lifetime. The guy is a talented writer and excellent reporter. Period. Yes, he co-wrote one series of articles that were unfair and misleading and ticked a lot of fans off including me, but aside from that he's been as good as it gets.

People need to realize that before Prisbell we had Josh Barr and Barry Svrluga. Those guys were absolute amateurs who wrote at a junior high level.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 16, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

100% agreed Barno. Prisbell's assessment of Maryland fans as "blood-thirsty, basement-living, socially-challenged fanatics" that are "out of touch" evidences his unbiased opinion towards his assignment.

Posted by: AbsurdTerp | September 16, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Holy Cow, I am agreeing with Barno...

Let me add, that I don't think this should be a referendum on Eric's skill/experience/bias. Lord knows those taling points show up on every single post as it is....

Even if Eric is guilty of all the things that most of the people accuse him of, it doesn't make it OK to be victimized like this. There is no excusing behavior that is unethical and not to mention, ILLEGAL.

Whoever did this is a coward whose intention is smear and libel. Last I checked, that's a criminal offense. One of this nation's sacred values is that anyone can stand and speak their mind, but we draw the line at falsehood and fraud. If this asshat had cojones visible enough to the naked eye, he would make his points WITHOUT claiming to be someone else.

Save the ventriloquist act for amateur night.

Posted by: mabkhar | September 16, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, the twitter page was clearly labeled: "This is a parody account for humor purposes only".

Posted by: Reader234 | September 16, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I admit, the page is mine.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 16, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Funny that everyones panties are still bunched up from that Gary The God Williams story he wrote a while ago.

Talk about sour grapes.

It's gonna be sour grapes with you boy, 'til you get right with Jesus.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 16, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

The fact that once again you are attacking the Terp message board proves what a giant tool you are. Who cares what a bunch of internet posters think of you? Even if they all happen to be right.

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | September 17, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Cut Prisbell some slack. He's far better than Barr was on the Terp beat and the claims that he's trying to take down MD athletics are about as logical as the claims that Obama is going to turn us into the USSR. I'd rather read a series on recruiting than some kiss ass piece on Ralph's weight loss.

Posted by: cjterps98 | September 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse