Poll: Friedgen's Future Uncertain

Steve Yanda and I wrote a story today looking at Coach Ralph Friedgen’s future. Athletic Director Debbie Yow told us she will evaluate the program after the season, just as she does with every sport each season.

“I will evaluate the status of the program after we play the entire season, not now, with eight games remaining," Yow said. "My focus is on supporting the team and our coaching staff. That focus will continue until season’s end.”

Friedgen won 31 games combined during his first three seasons (2001-2003) but only 34 games since the start of the 2004 season. This season, Maryland is off to its worst start since 1997.

Thoughts?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 30, 2009; 8:21 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jordan Williams's Attorney: 'This Wasn't A Street Brawl'
Next: Carroll's Leg Will Need Three to Six Months to Heal

Comments

Even if Maryland pulls off a winning season, God willing, what meaningless bowl game would we play in this year? It would be the same, tiresome finale. Roady's Humanitarian Bowl. Yay.

It is not unreasonable to discuss Friedgen's future at this time. Perhaps something needs to change after this season.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 30, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

if you want change there is a way!!!Money...No contribution = empty seats which effect the entire food chain,Parking revenue,concession revenue,program revenue etc etc Debbie does not want her legancy spotted with what is happening..

Fridgen why not come clean and admit you could not recruit will never be able to recruit and your just Another head coach who is just a plain offensive coordinator.

My 2 cents.... Fire Away guys and gals

Posted by: carolina1 | September 30, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

expect another sub-par crowd this Saturday, cuz it's gonna rain. people are becoming less and less willing to sit in the rain for a poor performance.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | September 30, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

i wish folks complaining now were around during Duffner or Vandy. I remember my freshman year 1996 where I sat in the student section and there were about 58 people at the game. I was like...this is the college football experience? I literally saw tumbleweeds bouncing in the stands.

Fridge saved this program and he can do whatever he wants. He's earned it.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | September 30, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least the child from our rival state is no longer sticking with his lie that he's a Terp Club recruiter. Terp Club recruiters don't tell fans not to donate because they want empty seats, want to hurt parking revenue, concession revenue, program revenue etc. Glad he finally came clean and outed himself.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I was around during the Duffner era and I remember going to the home games with my father (he had season tickets throughout Duffner's coaching).

Yes, Friedgen resurrected the program - at least for his first 3 seasons. Now the program has stagnated, which indicates something is wrong. When something's wrong with a football team, the Coach must answer for it, so arguing that he can "do whatever he wants" is no argument at all.

It's the players and the school that deserve better, and they deserve someone who can lead them out of mediocrity. The challenge for Friedgen is if he can do it a second time. Time will tell, but one thing is for certain, not all is well in college park.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 30, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

he has earned another year. I said this before... if Vanderlinden had gone 34-30 or whatever stat keeps getting tossed around he wouldn't have been fired.

That last game before Friedgen got here -- Ga Tech at Byrd -- was one of the sorriest I have ever seen by a college team. The stands were maybe half filled, even though a bowl bid was on the line (which would have been the first in several years). The players had quit, the fans had quit. It was twice as bad as it is now.

This is Friedgen's program, he has earned the right to turn it around.

Posted by: mcmelton | September 30, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Good luck filling the stadium with the currentFridge. He is a decent coach but he and his assistants cannot recruit worth dime, simple as that. Great programs have players filling in each and every year so the "young team" is a terrible excuse. You have 85 players who should be able to step up each and every year but the problem is that the Fridge has lost his mojo with a fat contract and can't recruit. Another mediocre season at best and for the the Terp's. Good luck to Yow getting money from alumni's...

Posted by: mofares | September 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mofares | September 30, 2009 1:16 PM

Really? 50+ top 100 recruits at their positions in the last 3 years alone. A recruited class this year that was ranked 26th in the country by rivals.com. And more players in the NFL who were recruited by Fridge than all but a handful of schools in the country over last 8 years.

Get. A. Clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 30, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Fridge was only good when he was coaching Vanderlinden's kids...end of story.

Posted by: MBUSA | September 30, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Regardless on how this season turns out, I feel that Ralph deserves another year to turn it around.

Posted by: HughGRection | September 30, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I am as frustrated or more accurately disappointed as any Terp. And I too sat in a near empty Byrd Stadium (before Tyser Tower and the grandstand) as an undergrad suffering through 1 and 2 win seasons. Fridge by all accounts runs a clean high graduation rate program. We are a university and not a semi-pro team. I don't want to create a contaminated program for the sake of highly rated but academically or ethically questionable recruits. Keep Fridge for as long as he feels he can be successful.

Posted by: norfolkoms | September 30, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno - Yes, a recruiting class that ranks 26th in the country is pretty good, but not good enough.

Also, there is a BIG difference between 50+ top 100 players at their position over 3 years and, let's say, recruiting 20-30 players that rank in the overall top 150 over 3 years. Maryland is missing out on the latter; the other top schools in the country are not.

For example, according to ESPN, Florida's 2010 class has 9 commits by players in the ESPN top 150. Maryland has 0. Texas has 10. For the season, Florida and Texas are ranked #1 and #2 respectively. Maryland is ranked somewhere below 50th.

Maryland's recruiting has a lot of room to grow.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 30, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno..You do not sit in section 25 row a...I personally came down and asked the folks sitting there...They went huh???

you are a lieing jacka.. so keep posting you non-terp club representative

Come clean what is your real name and i will disclose mine then we will see who is a terp club donator and terp club recruiter

belly up chicken s...t

Posted by: carolina1 | September 30, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I was also at Vanderlinden's last game. It was probably the worst Terps game I have seen in person besides the last time we played PSU.

Why are there so many Terp haters on a Terps board?

Posted by: garrett4 | September 30, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why I am arguing with the child but I was there on Saturday in those seats making so much noise I lost my voice in the pouring rain. AND, I was with about a dozen others, many of whom read this blog...you unbelievable moron.

Please. Stop. Posting.