Poll: So, How Many Wins Now For Maryland?

Let me start Tuesday with this: Forget about how Maryland has played the past three weeks, because Saturday’s game against Rutgers is winnable. I’m picking the Terrapins to win, just not sure of the score yet. The biggest disappointment I have seen from Rutgers thus far has been its offensive line, which was expected by many to be the best in the Big East. Rutgers was embarrassed at home by Cincinnati in a season-opening 47-15 loss on Sept. 7, and the Scarlet Knights struggled to a large degree against Florida International on Saturday. I’m not counting the thumping of Howard on Sept. 12.

Regardless of the outcome Saturday, I still think this promises to be a long season for Coach Ralph Friedgen, who is in danger of posting his fourth losing season in the past six years.

What I am curious about is this: The past three weeks have probably changed your predictions about this team. So looking at this team now, how many total wins do you see this season?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 22, 2009; 8:20 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Williams Contract Extended Through 2013
Next: Friedgen's Hot Seat

Comments

Barno -

Thanks for the correction on Miami in '04. Again, my point is that we do seem to be able to compete with the rest of the conference on a consistent basis (except Va Tech but that will come too) even when we lose games to lower tier opponents. Note that you left Edwin Williams off your list of Friedgen recruits in the NFL (who'd have thunk that one?!).

Carolina1 - yeah, well I had just had an afternoon mocha so it was for the best.

A lot of mental errors in the MTSU game. I have never thought of D. Scott as a fumbler but I think for the rest of his career here he is going to face constant stripping from the defenses.

I ask the board members one question - how soon should the plug be pulled on the hyped Defense and Def. Coord.? I am more disappointed in that then in any other aspect of the game. I do not blame Chism for getting beat. but this defense is unable to stop anyone. Injuries should be no excuse either because all of the teams are facing them - many with more significcant issues than ours (like MTSU).

Second question: is it likely that the defense will be able to turn it around in time for us to make a run at all this year? Poopy may complain about marginally winning seasons and lower tier bowls, but those are much better than NO BOWL whatsoever. I don't agree that those bowls are an acceptance of mediocrity - we will never be in the BCS every year a la USC (the SEC and other power conferences have competition at the top so no one gets a free ride). But we need to get to the top tier bowls again...in my lifetime...sooner rather than later...and it won't be this year.

Posted by: HughGRection | September 22, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

An additional issue, Ralph is now CEO of the team as opposed to the HC/Off Coordinator. I really do not think the offense is THE problem (it was at Cal and the turnovers need to cease). Still could the change in structure (beneficial to Ralph's health and welfare) be detrimental to the team as a whole?

We did have an amazing run of pro QBs (with the only pro-level reciever being Ferrell Edmunds to my recollection) during the 80s when Ralph was Off. Coord. Perhaps part of the solution would be having him get his fingers a little dirty focusing in on QB development (w/o undermining Franklin). We know he can do it b/c he did with Esiason, Reich, Gelbaugh and Henning (again - a QBs who started in Superbowls - I love to mention that). He seems to have freed up some time with this structure so maybe that is the answer. And then when he retires he can be "QB Coach - Emeritus."

Carolina, Barno - how much did Ralph have to do with the development of that list of QBs back in the day? Was there someone else underneath him that deserves the credit? I know Boomer, Stan and Henning (as well as Zolak) were big name recruits coming in (Reich kind of rose up under the radar). I was always under the impression that Ralph was the man who helped make them the men.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 22, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The O and D coordinators that have replaced Taffe and Blackney are not as good. Brown's D scheme is theoretically good. Franklin is a good recruiter but is one of the worst play callers I've ever seen. "good old rock, nothin' beats that", thinks Bart. "Poor predctable Bart, always picks rock", thinks Lisa as she beats him in rock, paper, scissors. Fridge should call the plays. There are 3 or 4 top 25 classes at UMD now. How soon do they play like it?

Posted by: Realness1 | September 22, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

TRY THIS

RUTGERS 35 TERPS 17
CLEMSON 48 TERPS 7
WAKE FOREST 28 TERPS 10
VIRG 17 TERPS 24
DUKE 14 TERPS17
STATE 40 TERPS 17
VT 55 TERPS3
FSU 37 TERPS10
BC 30 TERPS 0

HEADLINES WASHINGTON POST
DECEMBER 1,2009

"FRIDGEN FIRED" TERPS START SEARCH FOR NEW HEAD COACH

WHOEVER SAID THAT WE SHOULD GO AFTER VIRGINA TECH DEF COORDINATOR NEEDS TO BE ON THE SEARCH COMMITTEE.

NO BARNOS OR FUZZLILLAS WHO SEEM TO PUT THERE HEAD IN THE SAND LIKE ALL LOSERS DUE

PS THEY MUST BE FEDERAL G WORKERS

Posted by: carolina1 | September 22, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the child from Carolina using all caps...exactly what a child would do to get attention.

For those that think that Prisbell somehow has an anti-MD agenda, yesterday he said the Terps will get 5 wins. According to the above poll, 57% of you think they'll have 4 wins or less. So, Prisbell thinks the Terps will be better than the majority of Terps fans. Oh what bias!

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

If Debbie Yow doesn't fire Fridge and the entire staff, including Franklin, she should be fired. Next Terp Coach should be Jeff Jagodzinski.

Posted by: DodgerDog | September 22, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse