Poll: Your Choice For Head Coach Next Season

I’ll say this for Maryland: The Terps have given us two fun games to watch the past two weekends. The results don’t say much for the team, however, and the team has a long way to go. Sure, anything could happen, and I am confident Maryland will win one or two games it is not supposed to. But which game exactly is Maryland supposed to win? Virginia? At Duke? Will they win both?

This could be a very long season.

There seems to be genuine concern and frustration among many or even most fans at this point. Not just about this season, but also about the overall direction of the program. I always like getting a sense of what fans think about where the program is headed. So, if it were up to you, who do you want to see coaching this team next season?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 21, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Changes Would You Make?
Next: Friedgen Backs Off 'Emotional' Comments

Comments

This is a stupid debate...only brought up by the same short sighted, short memory fans who wanted Gary fired last year. You do not get rid of a coach after one down year; one which occurs after a large senior class graduates. He deserves a mulligan, get out of jail free card--- whatever you want to call it. And please, enough with the whole "Vanderlinden recruits" angle. Vanderlinden went 15-29 during his tenure. Fridge was 65-37 entering this year.

Honestly, only an idiot would want Ralph gone. Only an idiot wants Gary gone. And I question the loyalty and patience of anyone who thinks otherwise.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Spare me, everyone calling for Ralph's head. Yes, this sucks right now. We all hoped this team would overachieve (emphasis on OVERachieve) and they haven't. At least not yet. Give him some time, and then let the (supposedly much better) next crop of linemen take the field next year. It's all about the lines right now. Playcalling could be better, true, but (since I'm not a coach) I can only imagine how hard it is to call effective plays when the offensive line can't create holes or protect the qb. And on the defense, there has got to be something terribly run amuck between the hype of training camp and the actuality on the field. I trust in our coaches to identify it and fix it; give Brown a chance, too.

Posted by: ICBomber | September 21, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

IC & Fu, agreed on all your points. But where's the blame to be laid, then? The lines are terrible b/c of our recruiting failures (guys we missed on, guys we got but didn't properly evaluate, guys like Armstrong and B. Johnson who had ability but no heart.)

You yourselves have to admit that we're into the 4th straight season of "ifs and buts". How much more time is enough?

Posted by: The_Brown_Vice_President | September 21, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The previous 2 comments said it all. You want to talk about a "non issue"? This blog post is it. Ralph Friedgen is going to be our head football coach next year, like it or not. As well he should be.

The man resurrected MD football from the ashes and his career record here speaks for itself. We have challenged for the ACC title in 5 of his first 8 seasons here, gone to bowls in 6 of his first 8 years and handily winning 4 out of the last 5 bowls, including a couple of major bowls.

From 1985-2001 the Terps went to 1 bowl game, a tie in the 1990 Independence bowl.

From 2001-2008 we went to 6 bowl games. There is one man responsible for this and some shortsighted fairweather fans want him gone 3 games into a season where we were not expected to be good.

You don't like the Fridge, you don't like MD football.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Brown_Vice_President | September 21, 2009 10:16 AM

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with you folks.Terp fans have been patient for 5 years.Yes,fridge has taken us to bowls however now that there are so many bowls how can you not go. The bowls we go to are a joke.Did any of you so called loyal terps go to the humaniritian bowl?? The ansewer is no. fridgen cannot recruit and that is the bottom line.You say he will be here next year!!Not a chance...The large contributors will not tolerate it.Debbie is now getting heat..If you do not believe me call her and see what answer you get.

"coach fridgen is our coach,period. Now that is one hell of a vote of confidence.

The suites/mez sales are horrible and that will not be tolerated.

Mark my wirds there will be changes at the end of the season

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Friedgen I want gone. Get a former NFL head coach who wants a good stable job. In what, 9 years, he's recruited/coached zero half decent college quarterbacks? The only good ones were Shaun Hill and Scott McBrein, and those were YEARS ago and at least Hill was already here. As the Redskisn show each year, you cannot play football without at least a good quarterback..and in college, that means a quarterback at least good at running or passing.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I had season tickets for the last five years and gave them up before this season. I do not regret it one bit.

I still plan on going to a game or two, but tickets will be available and there was never savings on the season ticket packages at all.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"4th straight season of ifs and buts? Not sure what seasons you've been watching but in 2 of the previous 3 we've been within a game of the ACC title game at the end of the season.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 10:24 AM
---------------------

Quit defending and just look at this objectively. Your post points directly to another season of "ifs and buts". Last year, why didn't we play in a bowl other than the Humanitarian w/ 30 seniors, a number of whom are either playing on Sundays or are on practice squads?

Why is Chris Turner great against Top 10 teams but winless against Middle Tennessee State?

I'm happy that we've made it to 6 of 8 bowls. But there are also two losing seasons in that time and we had to beat NC State in the final game of 2007 just to become bowl eligible. And since Ralph's first 3 years, the program is 4 games over .500.

So rather than defend Ralph to the death, tell me - where is the accountability?

Posted by: The_Brown_Vice_President | September 21, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"I never wanted Gary gone, he has a lifetime pass in my book. He runs a clean, good program, and won a national title. Take Gary 10000 times over the Calipari's of the world.

Friedgen I want gone."

Completely agree. You can't lose to Mid Tenn St 2 years in a row. I don't care how many seniors you have lost. It's not acceptable this is an ACC school barely beating 1-AA teams and losing back to back years to the sun belt conference. Love Fridge but his best years were his 1st 3 and those weren't his players....sucks but it's time to move on.

Posted by: beas13 | September 21, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Brokenclipboard, There have been several 100 folks who cancelled there season tickets. You will never be able to verify since the ad does not want that type of press.

Yes, you can now buy seats to individual games for zip.

go to stubhub.com

ticketfinders,com

greattickets.com

or just google maryland football seats!!

You can be a family of 4 and go for 50 bucks

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Brokenclipboard, i will be one of those folks who hangs on to my terp club membership and the tickets however if it were not for Gary, bb and the ACC Tournament that decision would be a lot harder.

The funny thing was that the Atheltic office was actually considering doing a seat reassignment the same way they do basketball!! Culd you imagine what would happen :(

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

In what, 9 years, he's recruited/coached zero half decent college quarterbacks?

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 10:46 AM

Sam Hollenbach was not a "half-decent" college quarterback? The guy is in the top 5 in MD history in almost every QB category and has been on NFL rosters for a couple of seasons.

Scott McBrien was not a "half-decent" college QB? Won 21 games in 2 years and was a 2-time bowl MVP in the Gator and Peach bowl? Shattered several MD records and had the highest QB rating for a season in MD history?

Shawn Hill was not a "half-decent" college QB? Won the ACC and took the team to a BCS bowl game in his only full season as a starter? Currently has the 3rd highest winning percentage for QB in the NFL, behind only Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. And he's been winning with SAN FRANCISCO for christ's sake.

Chris Turner is not a "half decent" college QB? Entering this year, Turner had as many wins against top 25 teams as any QB in the nation the last 2 years.

Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, please don't feel compelled to post a comment.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I'd like to know from Fridge & Co. In the last 5 years, the Terps have put a lot of guys from the defensive side into the NFL. So there has been talent...and pro-caliber speed there. So why does it continue to be so hard for Maryland to defend these teams that run the spread-option.

WVU, Wake, Middle Tenn...anytime there's a play-fake and a mobile QB, the Terps jsut can't seem to contain it. And now it's under multiple defensive coordinators. There are schemes for defending the spread-option...why can't the Terps seem to execute one?

And is it just me, or evry time there's a big pass or a TD pass...does it seem to go right over Anthony Wiseman? If Carroll hadn't gotten hurt, I'm not sure that Chism wouldn't have taken Wiseman's starting spot from him.

Posted by: franko11 | September 21, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 11:32 AM

It's the economy, you unbelievable moron.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Barno1... AKA TURD BREATH!! Why do you blame everything on the economy.. The econonic dowturn hurt some spending however the Ravens do not seem to have an issue with the economy???

go back into your butt turd breath

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

O by the way!!If i remember you sit in the 300 level seats so explain to me why you are not a terp club member O thats right its the economy

go take a dump

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 - I know you love the terps...

Shaun Hill was already here when Friedgen came in. McBrein we got lucky as a transfer because Rich "I am such a genious" Rodriguez didn't like him at WVU.

Shaun Hill :

On the team in 2000! Guess who was the coach then! It wasn't the Fridge.

Hollenbach and Turner are not half decent. Turner is "better", but couldn't even get the ball to the #8 overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft enough - so much so, that people are calling him a bust before he even gets a chance.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

PS I didn't give up my tickets(~ $500 for 2 lower level seats) because of the economy.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

If this athletic department were smart, they'd begin negotiations with Bud Foster at Virginia Tech. He'd bring with him other VT assistants with connections in the DC area. They would also bring with them a wealth of recruiting connections in the Virginia Beach area, which is the best area for recruiting within a 200-mile radius of DC.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I have had season tickets since 1993 and a avid fan since 1971. I have watched every team closely. The current downward spiral reminds me of other teams where firing the coach is the only way out to turn things around. The offense is outdated and so complicated the QBs never seem to learn it completely. The defensive line and linebackers,for the most part, are undersized and slow. Talent overall is declining and will continue to do so. If the coaching staff is not replaced, it will not get better.

BTW, Shaun Hill was a Vanderlinden recruit and McBrien was initially a transfer/walkon so you can't really count them as Friedgen recruits. They were the only QBs that ever seemed to completely grasp his offense.

Posted by: skepticnat | September 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank you skepticnat. I remember the fun old days in early 2000's where the Terps used to mix in the option and have good, smart QB play. Shaun Hill and McBrein are easily the best Terps QBs since I've been a fan(when I decided to attend Maryland).

If an offense is too complicated to pickup by QBs it does no good.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I gave up my season tickets on the 45-yard line because I haven't liked the direction of the football program for several years.

What's wrong with this program? I think Friedgen relied heavily on assistants who are no longer here (Taafe,etc). What concerns me most is that we are going to hand over the reins to Franklin, who probably is less competent than Friedgen to run this program.

I also think the personnel decisions have been very questionable. Why was Drew Gloster moved from TE to LB? Why was Kenny Tate moved from WR to DB? Neither of these moves work. They are trying to fill round holes with square pegs because they recruited far too many receivers and far too few linebackers and secondary personnel.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Friegden runs the program with integrity, however there seems to be a disconnect with the players. I'm thinking this program is suffering from gross mismanagement.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 21, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

1. I don't expect greatness out of Maryland. But I expect more than what we've gotten.

2. Hope everyone has their computers ready for the 3rd game in a row on ESPN360.

I realize in Maryland there are two professional football teams that draw lots of interest - however, even in better years, the amount of tv coverage on Terps football has been lacking.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | September 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

go take a dump

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 12:20 PM

Carolina, I sit in sect 25, row 1, seats 1-3. I've invited you to come by before anytime. I'd love to meet and get the name of the guy who claims he's a Terp booster and Terrapin Club recruiter who has been relentlessly bashing the coach, the players, and the fans on message boards the last few months under the name of our rival state. Come by any time during the Rutgers game...let's see if you really are who you say you are, guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Over the past five years, Maryland football has gone 5-6, 5-6, 9-4, 8-5, and 6-7. So far this year they're 1-2, and they've only played one division I team. What are the chances we win more than 5 or 6 games this year? How about slim and none. So please don't tell me that this is good enough. Ralph Freidgen himself doesn't think it's good enough, so why should the fans? He's making 1.7 million a year, which means that in terms of cost per victory, Maryland is in the top twenty in the nation. Maryland had paid a lot of money over the past five years to average a little over six wins a season. It's great that Ralph got us ten win seasons seven years ago, but last time I checked, we didn't stop paying him seven years ago. We pay him every year and we deserve a better return on our money. And guess what? Ralph would agree with that statement.

Posted by: sonny2 | September 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sonny2 | September 21, 2009 1:36 PM

Actually we have played two division I teams this year. As for the chances we'll win more than 5 or 6 games? Well, we lost to Northern Illinois in 03, and I seem to recall that season turning out ok (10 wins). We lost to Middle Tennessee last year, and I seem to recall the season turned out ok (8 wins including a bowl victory and 3 against top 25).

Thank god the players do not quit as quickly as the fans. Md Football will be back, sooner than most think, and maybe even this season. We are undefeated so far in ACC play, last I checked. Let's wait until the real season begins (in 2 weeks vs Clemson) before talking about firing the coach who built this program from nothing into a perennial bowl team.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 aka turd breath, You are safe in those sets!!You must stand fot the entire game .Since you are not a member of the TERP CLUB( YOU CHEAP TURD) when they do the reassignment of seats you will not be effected since 1 not a member of terp club and 2 nobody wants them.

see ya in 300 once we do the reassignment

booha

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I have read all your comments. Barno1 I understand your passion, but come on now. Are you really proud of the fact that your college football team went to the Humanitarian bowl last year and the Emerald City bowl the year before that?? I am not proud at all. They were trying to get us in the alumni to buy tickets and them donate them to people in Boise!! The only ticket I am buying is to a 1st or 2nd tier bowl. One that I am proud my team is in. I live in Tennessee and I am being heckled by all the MTSU fans...all 6 of them. We need a change in recruitment in football AND basketball. A coach can't win with no talent. I don't care who you are. You can't get talent, if you can't recurit. If a coach can't recruit he has to go. Bottom line. Fridge needs to go this year and I would give Gary one more year then he needs to go too. Why do we lose top area recruits year after year in football and basketball? They go to Penn State, Rutgers, Miami, Texas, North Carolina, and Kansas State of all places. If you can't recruit you gotta go. And by the way, Fridge's first few years were won with most of the players he did not recruit.

Posted by: d-reck | September 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

What man in his 50's uses phrases like Turd Breath?

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

Please, no one address this. We ARE NOT going thru this again right now.

D-reck, the Vols have a fan opening. We UMD fans release you from your Terrapin obligation and you are free to move on.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Dont bring Gary into this conversation; he really has a lifetime pass and should be able to hand-pick his succesor. Fridge? Not so much. Something has to happen, and it needs to be more than the Boise Bowl.

I am not saying I want him gone, yet, but I will not be shocked if he goes. Program is heading the wrong way towards becoming irrelevant, if it is not already. Not being able to watch the games on local television certainly doesn't bode well for recruiting.

Posted by: jpfterps | September 21, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

It is no surprise that in the age of instant gratification there are so many idiots that want to fire our coaches. Having visited places like Lane Stadium I know for a fact that DC area fans are more concerned about parking and traffic than supporting their team.

It boggles my mind that the hopeless Redskins can fill a 90,000 seat stadium and we can't do half of that.

Maybe we can fire some of our fans.

Posted by: garrett4 | September 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"It is no surprise that in the age of instant gratification there are so many idiots that want to fire our coaches...

Posted by: garrett4 | September 21, 2009 3:42 PM"

-------------------------

Instant gratification? If we have a losing season this year, that's 4 sub -.500 seasons in the past six years. If six years is "instant", you must still be using dial-up service to log on to this board.

Some of us who are voicing are displeasure don't want Ralph fired. We simply want accountability and change where necessary. Like a recruiting coordinator who owns the DC area (like LJ did.) Or an O-line coach who can get more out of these kids.

Posted by: The_Brown_Vice_President | September 21, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes I use a rotary phone too.

Be careful of what you wish for and don't forget the Vanderlinden days of 3 win seasons or even worse, the Duffner days when the best thing to come out of the program was the inventor of Under Armour.

I wonder how many people that post here went to those games?

We should just suck it up and play the 1 and 2 with PSU. If we win it will help our recruiting, if we lose, it can't get much worse.

Posted by: garrett4 | September 21, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I know Fridge had a lot to do with the success of our run of pro QBs back in the 80s - Esiason, Reich, Gelbaugh, Henning (all Superbowl starters) and Zolak. Definitely the first four of the above. It was an ugly, unacceptable loss. That said, I have learned to expect a surprising unexpected win - we beat Fl State and Miami during our first losing seaason with Ralph as HC. I suspect we'll limp into some lower tier bowl at the end of the year by pulling some surprises beyond beating Duke and UVA. It will not be enough for Poopy or Carolina to be happy, and will leave most of the rest of us disappointed. I have officially backed off of my preseason prediction of 14-0 and a National Championship. 7-5 season (two upsets will be needed to get there) and a bowl.

Still a fan, still support Ralph, do not blame the booers for booing, blame the performance on the field.

Posted by: HughGRection | September 21, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

A final point - I think EVERYONE on this board expected a win, albeit with different expectations as to the closeness of the game. I actually expected the Terps to crush them. Yeah I'm disappointed, but I am actually more disappointed in the Skins. these are kids learning to play a game at a high level. There is a ton of room for error. Plenty on the board call for Ralph's head (and a few for Gary's) but I think most board readers are Ralph fans and want to see the Terps win with him and NOT rebuild. The sanity of both positions is what is always questioned - and entertainingly so - which is why I tune in to this board.

I think if I rank us from one to ten in terms of Ralph support I would put Barno at 10 and Poopy at one with Carolina at 2 fushezzi at 8 and myself at 7. Interesting to see where the rest of the board fits in and whether Barno, Carolina, fushezzi and Poops agree with my ranking.

Regards to all -

hgr

btw - "Turd Breath???" Gonna go brush my teeth.

Posted by: HughGRection | September 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Fridge just needs more time.... in fact, they should sign him to an extension....

Posted by: Durham2 | September 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

HugReaction,, I thought i try to create a visual image..

Thanks for making me laugh with your great comment

Ps Carolina is maybe 2 on Ralph but 10 for Gary...

Ps..Playing golf with Fred Funk tomorrow. He is in town for the Senior PGA Event at my Country Club (prestonwood CC). Tomorrows golf event with Fred is part of the week long Pro/Am leading up to the Actual Championship which starts on Friday the 25th and concludes on sunday the 26th.

I think the Golf Channel is covering this event..

www.saschampionship.com is the web site

Hope he wins..It will take some heat off of me..I still fly my terp Flag SO LOOK FOR IT ON TV..7th hole

It is one of the Pro/Am events this week

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Listen, I am not saying MD needs a jerk like Urban Meyer, but just imagine Tommy Tuberville is out there. you don't think he could build a ACC power in College Park. MD could and should have a better football (and basketball program).

I look at the U of Florida's defensive coordinator. they guy has been there since Spurrier. Florida's defense has been the rock of that time despite all the offensive hysteria and Tebow madness. The only issue is the guy is black. but he should be a big tiime head coach some where in this country. not Middle Tenn St or bowling Green, but SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12.

Posted by: whomp1 | September 21, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

College teams can and do dramatically turn around in one or two years. Terps need a kick ass linebacker and a smashmouth running back to start turning this boat back around. Consistancy in the assistant coaching staff wouldn't hurt either.

Posted by: riverpoint2 | September 21, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

I'd put Barno at 9.75 (so just about right)

Fushezzi 8 (2 for 2)

Hugh - 7 (maybe 6.5)

Carolina - 2 is too high. I'd say 1.5 to 1. "The fat man must go" has been his rallying cry since he started posting.

Poopy - He hates every coach (although he seems to hate Gary more then Ralph)....so yes, a 1 is perfect for him.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Look, Ralph is a great guy and a loyal Terp. But he is not meeting his own goal: get Maryland into the Top 25 on a consistent basis; and, when things go right, make some noise on the national scene.

Jerry Claiborne did it. Bobby Ross did it. It can be done at Maryland. Ralph did it for three years, but how many weeks has Maryland been ranked over the past five plus seasons?

Every poster here seems to have realistic expectations. We are not looking to compete with USC and Florida. But we should be able to compete with Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami, VPI, and FSU. Instead, we are competitive with JMU and MTSU. This performance is not worthy of Maryland.

Posted by: SmittyATL | September 21, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Lot of comments to address.

Huge Erection, your rankings were close but Fushezzi nailed it. Only difference is you have to put the child from Carolina below Poop just because Poop doesn't know any better...if he actually watched the games he'd probably like Fridge a little more than the child from Carolina.

whomp1, welcome to the board, but I think you totally misunderstand the "issue" of coaching hirings and skin color. The fact that a promising coach is black only helps him secure a job, not the other way around. The Rooney Rule will, unfortunately, make it's way to the college level nationally (it already has in some places, such as Oregon, where a state law was actually passed mandating "diversity" in coaching interviews at state schools).

Jp, program is a long way from "irrelevant." We just signed a top 25 (well technically it was 26th in Rivals) recruiting class. We will be back to contending for the ACC title sooner than you think...maybe, just maybe...this year

Brokenclipboard, I am fully aware that Shawn Hill was with the Terps prior to Fridge's arrival. I remember congratulating him on his first victory (a 21 pt comeback against Philip Rivers and NC State in late 2000 when the students rushed the field). Why you continue to state that Hill was here before Fridge is beyond me. It's not like Hill was some highly touted recruit, he was an afterthought. Between Chris Kelly, Randall Jones, Calvin McCall, and Latrez Harrison, we had all the QBs we needed. But Hill won the starting job in camp only to go down to injury for most of that season.

Lastly, Hugh, we didn't play nor beat Miami in 04.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I have watched Maryland football since 1965.The team has always been woefully inept.My first year there we went 0-9 2-9 the next.
The fact is any player who is any good from the area will go play for Joe (King of Cupcake playing coaches)because his cupcake schedule guarantees a big-time bowl.
Unfortunately Maryland is located in an area that is bad.Bad neighborhoods,bad weather,bad people and in general just plain uninspiring. Todays kid wants to go play where things are better or at least the perception as such.
Over the years Maryland has always choked in big games so the reputation is noted by competition.The sad fact is the DC area is so hungry to bask in the reflected glory of its teams,a hopeless task considering the Redskins, that they have now taken to usurping Va. Tech as an area team,they are 5-6 hours out of town what a joke.
I have accepted the fact that area teams are losers,a tradition instituted by Maryland.I don't cling to the Joe Gibbs strike-bowls as evidence the area produces winners,so get ready for an abismal season with some real beatings in store now and well into the future.

Posted by: johnperruso | September 22, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The fact is the Terps have always been a bad team.Even when they were touted to be decent or even good they always managed to find a way to "choke" and lose.With a 1-34-1 lifetime record against Joe at cakeplayer state you all should realize this school is snake-bit and will always be a school playing in a toilet bowl.
The truth is the area is so hungry for a winner to bask in reflected glory (forget about the Joe Gibbs strike-bowls) that they have taken to claiming Va. Tech as a n area school what a joke.
Get ready for another season of beatings and more for years to come.
It wouldn't matter if they brought Lombardi backfrom under the grass to coach the will always be losers.
John Perruso Las Vegas Nevada