What Changes Would You Make?

Just finished my game story for the newspaper. Wow. It looks like this Maryland team is headed for a five-win season or something even worse. No easy games left on the schedule. And they've struggled in the games that were supposed to be easy.

Players said something has to change. What?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 19, 2009; 9:35 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meggett TD Run Puts Terps Back On Top
Next: Poll: Your Choice For Head Coach Next Season

Comments

I found this article on Josh Portis, the talented quarterback Friedgen and Franklin deemed too stupid to play the position for Maryland. Both of these geniuses basically kept Portis from seeing any playing time while at Maryland.

Portis is so stupid that not only did he graduate from the University of Maryland, he is now enrolled in graduate studies at California University (PA).

And in addition that, he's the starting quarterback for the Division II Vulcans. In four games, I believe he's thrown 9 TD's and only 2 INT's. Now I understand this is Division II football, but I think he's proven that he's not a moron after all.

It was a tragedy this kid was judged so harshly while at Maryland. Portis still has two years of athletic eligibility and I'm thrilled he's doing well.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 19, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

This is the article.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | September 19, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

What needs to change?

Well, 8 turnovers in three games leading to 44 points against would be a good place to start...

Posted by: CapsNut | September 19, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

imterpsfan you are such a moron. Portis was not deemed "too stupid" you idiot. We had 2 experienced QBs ahead of him, plain and simple. If he were younger, he would have be primed to be the starting QB of the future after Turner graduated. The UMD coaching staff was very high on him. Get a clue before you come post that weak crap on here.

Posted by: MDfan2000 | September 19, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

All the morons WHO said debbie would not fire FAT BOY wELL JUST WAIT!!! Losing programs cannot sell suites, mez seats or for that fact any seats.(even those in the nosebleed sections..Debbie is all about making the program profitable and the "Fat One" is not doing his job.He was successful earlt with someone elses recruits now there are no excuses except that he is a fat burned out PIG..Leave so we can start rebuilding

I will beat eric to the punch about rutgers prediction RUTGERS 45 TWERPS 10 HERE COME THE BOY BIRDS..tHEN COMES CLEMSON.. CLEMSON 51 TWERPS 3 BOO BIRDS HAVE A BALL.. WAKE FOREST IS AWAY LETS SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE TRAVEL TO SEE THE TWERPS

Posted by: carolina1 | September 19, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I really don't know what to do. Given the abyss this program was in during the 90s, I've been able to accept mediocrity and second tier bowl status.

I'm not thrilled with Chris Turner and the offensive turnovers - but it still seems that this team will score points if that young offensive line grows up.

I'm much more alarmed by the defense, which seems scarily vulnerable to the big play, unable to get off the field, and flat-out incapable of tackling. I was upset that the team went for the field goal on the late 4th down, because I had absolutely no confidence that the Defense would get stops.

Posted by: dlgood | September 20, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

hard to believe he didn't try for the 1st down - not much faith in the offensive line but even if they failed they would have still run more clock and made it tougher on MTSU - can't believe we lose two years in a row to this caliber team - doesn't give me much hope for the rest of the year and it definitely ruined my Saturday - not sure where the next win comes from except I think we do play UVA and Duke this year

Posted by: sjm3091 | September 20, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

For this season:
1- offensive play calling
2- general overall effort by the players

Longterm:
The talent level of the O and D lines. It has been 4 or 5 years since we had a D1 level defensive line unit.

Posted by: mcmelton | September 20, 2009 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I'd agree that the one thing I'd change from yesterday's game is the decision to kick a field goal on 4th and 2 at the very end. Should have been an attempt at a rushing first down. Otherwise just gotta stop turning it over and play defense like we did in the first half over the course of a full game.

Posted by: Hobes | September 20, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday's loss might be the worst ever for Maryland's football program. When he arrived, Fridge was handed a top 10 team, recruited by Ron Vanderlinden. On his watch, the program has sunk to its lowest level ever -- losing two years in a row to a mediocre MTSU team is something that would never have happened before. This will kill whatever chance Maryland had to recruit good players.

Posted by: MBP1 | September 20, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

MBP1, I SO AGREE WITH YOU.I AM SO FRUSRTATED WITH THIS TEAM AND THERE COACHES.IF WE DO NOT RECRUIT WELL WE COULD DROP BACK TO THE DAYS WHEN THEY WHERE SELLING SEATS OUTSIDE FOR 10 BUCKS(LIKE THEY DO AT DUKE NOW)..I would not buy a seat FOR the games down here because i guarantee ya you will be able to buy them for next to nothing..lIVING IN cAROLINA IS TOUGH BUT WHEN WE LOSE LIKE THIS IT IS VERY ROUGH...

Iam tough on the coaching staff because this is a business and they are not making the product produce..If this is you or i we are fired.

AMEN

Posted by: carolina1 | September 20, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Carolina1, your spelling and grammar are terrible.

Play calling needs to change ASAP. We should not let our QB run options and naked bootlegs when he is already getting crushed because of our line. Long term we need to get better D line recruits. Our D line looks so small and short. Maybe we need to do quick subs to keep them fresh. I find it hard to believe we did not go for it on 4th down. Even our line could get two yards in a goal line formation (I hope).
The reason Portis never played is because he was called for penalties almost every snap.

Posted by: garrett4 | September 20, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

also hard to believe we can't recruit talent on either line to handle MTSU!! We are still a Divison 1 BCS team are we not?
I can see skilled people slipping through the cracks but the line play is just inexcusable - not being mentioned is the offsides as Turner was letting the clock run down late in the 4th quarter - coaching, pure and simple - I actually worked at Maryland from 88-93 and thought that was a low point, I think this team will match that

Posted by: sjm3091 | September 20, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

What I don't undestand is so many people wanted to fire Gary, at least he won the National Championship in the same academic year that we went to the Orange Bowl(and got utterly destroyed). There was that wonderful series of articles about how bad he was at recruiting etc. Why not some about Ralph, and how little 4 and 5 star recruits he gets. What about talking about Vanderlinden's players getting us those big wins in the early part of the decade.
I don't care if they grow up to be NFL players, they are not doing the job at Maryland.
Fire the Fridge, Fire Franklin and anyone else an this abysmal team!!

Posted by: bmdugan | September 20, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Worst loss ever? Bloody nonsense. We've been doing very well compared with Tommy Mont's and UMd grad All-American Stan Jones tenures. Mont inherited a team from Jim Tatum in 1956 that was ranked #13 in the preseason. They won, if I recall, three of ten games in 1956. Given the resources the legistlature provides UMd it seems clear that Maryland football had done very well over the past 65 years, much better than average. It's most unrealistic to expect any team to be in the top 20 year after year.

Posted by: AncientTerp | September 20, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The one reminder about 2001 - Yes, Fridge won with Vanderlinden's players, but Vanderlinden couldn't win with Vanderlinden's players. He's not a total bust.

That's why I still worry about firing him. What are we going to get. Mike Locksley, last I checked, recruits like a demon every place he goes - but doesn't have much of a record as a head coach. I guess I'd like to see a plan before we can Fridge, even though I'd acknowledge our linemen and QBs haven't been top drawer the last few years.

Posted by: dlgood | September 20, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

The thing is that there will always be a problem in personal, the team is young. All of these excuses and resons. Excuses and reasons of why is for losers. I don't see Maryland under this particular program getting any better. Because next year you don't have a QB. And then what will be the excuse be.

Posted by: johnlanc | September 20, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

garrett4, You are correct!!! My grammar and spelling suck (: What do ya expect I played baseball for the terps from 71-74 and did not go to a lot of classes. However
I got lucky and became a sales guy for Xerox thanks to Jay Nussbaum..

Garrett4 I will try harder (:

Posted by: carolina1 | September 20, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I doubt if firing the coaching staff will solve the problems. Could there have been better play calling? Sure, on a couple of plays. But the coaches were not the ones turning the ball over, making costly penalties, and missing coverage down-field. This is a young team; even the great coaches had teams who were inexperienced and made bone-headed plays. I remembered a few years ago when Penn St had back-to-back mediocre seasons and people and "fans" were calling from Paterno to retire. Don't look now but Penn St is #5 this week. Where are those "fans" now?

If your only response to a loss each time is to curl up in the fetal position in the corner of your well-padded basement and blame the coaches and the administration and the AD, and the university and and the state and your mama, my advice to you is take your Paxil and get a grip for the love of Mary and Joseph! Just be glad your not a UVA fan right now; yes things could be worse.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | September 20, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Deep down, I think we all know this is Gary's fault.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

5 wins? Our 4 opposing teams' buses going to get lost on the way to the stadium?

Posted by: cao091402 | September 21, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should be "Are 4 opposing teams' buses..."

Posted by: cao091402 | September 21, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: carolina1 | September 19, 2009 10:55 PM

Well, at least the retard has stopped pretending to be a MD booster and Terp Club recruiter.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Barno1, when you start supporting the terps financially then you can speak.Yes, i am a terp club member(coaches club)Grad of 75 all acc baseball player 74,75. sit in section 208 . Terp club agent.As if you even know what that is!! Live in carolina!!! love the baltimore,annapolis ..

Fly up for the games.. Will attend wake, dule and state games..Will you turd breath???

See ya a---h---

Posted by: carolina1 | September 21, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

What man in his 50's uses phrases like Turd Breath?

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MBP1 | September 20, 2009 9:16 AM
=====================

Then why the f did Vandy stink so bad with his top recruits?

Why didn't Doug Collins win with MJ and Pippen...why didn't Del Harris win with Shaq and Kobe?

Hmmmm...let me think...coaching....Go die.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | September 21, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse